Which indoor power training option?

acoggan said:
Reasons to consider the Velodyne:

1. Accurate power measurement (see my "white paper" on their website).

2. High inertia (10 kg flywheel spinning rapidly).

3. Built like a tank (I've been using mine 3-5 d/wk for almost 20 y).

4. Things happening behind the scene that I can't talk about. ;)

(Note: I have no financial affliation with the company or product.)
Andy;

You may have sold me on the Velodyne. While I generally like my PT300 Pro, Velodynes offer several advantages and the basic Avanit model is not a whole lot more than a PT300 Pro.

Maybe I will sell the PT300 Pro and get a Velodyne...

There is a new wireless VR trainer from Tacx on the way. Ive got one here for testing. You can take this thing to races to warm up & use it with the PC va a USB wirelesss dongle.

High Sierra cycles do a couple of bombproof trainers that feature no plastic moving parts and are very "industrial" in their design. I've had one for a few years and it still looks like new and apparently the magnetic unit can provide just over 800watts of resistance, which should be enough for me and my 'hour of power' for the forseeable future...

They're the type of trainer that holds in the bike by the front fork and the back wheel is held by the sides of the quick release and the model I have features to very weighty flywheels.

The only downside that I've see so far is that the roller that contacts the tire is made from a really hard knurled steel that's great for tire grip but it effectively acts as a cheesegrater for the tire. Zero slippage but expect to be sweeping up a small pile of rubber every couple of months. However, there's no wear on the roller...

As for dealing with sweat - a large beech towel draped over the front half of the bike keeps it easy to reach and keeps the sweat off the metal parts - yup, steel is real on my trainer - 653!

I've tried a number of indoor options, including a dedicated erg trainer (Kettler ergo racer), but I've settled into the KK road machine and a PT wheel for the past couple of years. For the past couple of months, however, I've been riding the eMotion rollers for everything indoor (usually while watching boxset episodes of the Sopranos), except our team's weekly garage intervals, where I'm still on the KK with a TT bike and PT wheel. I've done mostly 70-80% FTP type work up to two hours on the rollers so far, but have also done a MAP test and sprint work on them as well. I've also ridden a TT bike on the rollers, but no interval sessions yet.

My recommendation for hmronnow: buy a 2nd PT wheel used (maybe $500) and ride the trainer. Not too expensive, same data source as your outdoor ride (assuming that both wheels test out Ok with a static test), data downloads to WKO+, and now you have a backup wheel in case one has a problem and needs to be worked on. Alternative or 2nd recommendation: eMotion rollers.

Fightin Boba said:
For the past couple of months, however, I've been riding the eMotion rollers for everything indoor (usually while watching boxset episodes of the Sopranos), except our team's weekly garage intervals, where I'm still on the KK with a TT bike and PT wheel. I've done mostly 70-80% FTP type work up to two hours on the rollers so far, but have also done a MAP test and sprint work on them as well. I've also ridden a TT bike on the rollers, but no interval sessions yet.
Steve, you obviously like the e-motion rollers. Does riding them take some of the boredom out of riding indoors?

Thom

Animator said:
Steve, you obviously like the e-motion rollers. Does riding them take some of the boredom out of riding indoors?
Thom
Thom,
I'm not 100% certain that it changes the boredom factor. However, I do find that the comfort factor is much better than being locked into a stationary trainer. From the standpoint of the rider/bike interface, it is more like riding outdoors. In the end (pun intended), time seems to pass quicker.

Fightin Boba said:
I've tried a number of indoor options, including a dedicated erg trainer (Kettler ergo racer), but I've settled into the KK road machine and a PT wheel for the past couple of years. For the past couple of months, however, I've been riding the eMotion rollers for everything indoor (usually while watching boxset episodes of the Sopranos), except our team's weekly garage intervals, where I'm still on the KK with a TT bike and PT wheel. I've done mostly 70-80% FTP type work up to two hours on the rollers so far, but have also done a MAP test and sprint work on them as well. I've also ridden a TT bike on the rollers, but no interval sessions yet.

My recommendation for hmronnow: buy a 2nd PT wheel used (maybe $500) and ride the trainer. Not too expensive, same data source as your outdoor ride (assuming that both wheels test out Ok with a static test), data downloads to WKO+, and now you have a backup wheel in case one has a problem and needs to be worked on. Alternative or 2nd recommendation: eMotion rollers.
Where do you get a PT wheel for $500?

Yojimbo_ said:
Where do you get a PT wheel for $500?
Ebay!!!!!! I picked up a spare PT wheel on there aswell for winter.

I also have a set of free motion rollers i built myself and i love them. Mine are missing the flyweel but i'm working on that. I would highly recommend the inside ride rollers. They'll be a good investment and challenge for the winter.

Not sure if its you guys cup of tea but here is a image from the new software thats on the way, You also have the option to have google earth linked to one of the video's of the route they have. So you can see Cadel Evans training, feel him training & see where he is also!
n665262617_775042_2649.jpg

n665262617_739453_3076.jpg