Which wheels for which frame?

retrorider

Jun 8, 2006
I have a '98 steel fuji that I use as a touring bike and I just acquired an '06 Raleigh Super Course training bike. The Raleigh came with Alexrims DC-19 CNC wheels w/ Vitorria Zaffiro 700x23c's. The Front wheel is 28 spoke straight laced no crosses and the rear is 28 spoke 3 cross. The wheels I currently have on the fuji are Bontragers off an '04 Lemond. They are the standard issue Bontrager Selects with Race Lite folding 700x23c's. Front rim has 20 spokes straight lace paired and the rear has 24 spokes 3 cross paired.

Question Which wheels should I put on which frame? I think the best set up would be to put the Alexrims on the Fuji as I use it around town and as a touring bike. While I haven't weighed either setup I would think that the Bontragers are lighter and would be better servered on the Raleigh.

Am I thinking correctly?

Help me Daveornee and BobbyOCR!

retrorider said:
I have a '98 steel fuji that I use as a touring bike and I just acquired an '06 Raleigh Super Course training bike. The Raleigh came with Alexrims DC-19 CNC wheels w/ Vitorria Zaffiro 700x23c's. The Front wheel is 28 spoke straight laced no crosses and the rear is 28 spoke 3 cross. The wheels I currently have on the fuji are Bontragers off an '04 Lemond. They are the standard issue Bontrager Selects with Race Lite folding 700x23c's. Front rim has 20 spokes straight lace paired and the rear has 24 spokes 3 cross paired.

Question Which wheels should I put on which frame? I think the best set up would be to put the Alexrims on the Fuji as I use it around town and as a touring bike. While I haven't weighed either setup I would think that the Bontragers are lighter and would be better servered on the Raleigh.

Am I thinking correctly?

Help me Daveornee and BobbyOCR!
Yes, I agree with your thinking.

Thank you Sir.

I don't have the fund right now or I'd buy another wheelset from you.

Are Alexrims very durable?

retrorider said:
Thank you Sir.

Alexrims are OK in my experience with them.
Keep the spoke tension proper and tire inflation suitable... and you will get the best life out of what you have.
I will be ready to build you a wheelset when your funds are ready.

retrorider said:
Thank you Sir.

I also have a 06 Supercoarse. I have logged in around 1000 miles on them and they are still spot on. On the other hand I also had a Raleigh C700 with them on and broke 4 spokes, (at diff. times), within the first 250 miles. Apparently I got a bad batch of spokes and raleigh replaced them on both wheels.