Why Can't Mountain Bikers EVER Tell the TRUTH???!

Mike Vandeman

Guest
At 10:51 PM 5/19/04 -0700, kc <[email protected]> wrote:
>Good on ya mate.

I wish you the best of luck and I thank you for your efforts to slow the
asphalting of our planet.
Sorry you've had some tough experiences with mountain bikers. Do you think
there is any place appropriate for mountain biking?

Of course: on paved roads.

>While I appreciate your points below, it does ring clear that you have

placed extraordinary priority on mountain bike impacts especially when
compared to the many other looming environmental issues that should demand
greater attention.

That's nonsense. One look at my web site would tell you otherwise. Why do
mountain bikers have such a hard time telling the truth???

> I'm not trying to shut you up with that sort of comment -

Yes, you are. Why is it so hard for you guys to simply tell the truth??? You
said I should stop talking about mountain biking and talk about something else.
It couldn't have been plainer.

>just presenting a point (partly a question) and enjoying the dialog. Even in

mild written dialog you seem prone to hostility. I apologize for prompting
this.

WHAT hostility? I am just telling the truth -- something I guess you aren't used
to. You interpret that as hostility.

>Good luck and so long.

Kc

Ps

>Here's an interesting site to look at.

http://www.vhemt.org/

Thanks. If you read my web site, you'd know that I already have a link to it.

Cheers5/19/04 10:14 PMMike [email protected]

> [...]

>> whereby you may find an audience sympathetic to your suggestions.

> I tried that for many years. In fact, I haven't abandoned it. But mountain
> bikers respond negatively to ANY criticism of mountain biking. I have yet
> to meet even ONE who is open to giving up their selfish, destructive sport.
> I just tell the truth. It's your move.
>
>> Demographically, they are likely to be supporters and voters. I can not say
>> that of many of the other "outdoorsman" stereotypes who are most likely to
>> be conservative, republican, Born-Again EPA haters who consider natural
>> resources as mere consumables as authorized by their Mighty One who
>> proclaimed that Man has dominion over Earth and animals.

> In California, they are actively opposing Wilderness designation. Those are
> NOT "environmentalists" or "allies".
>
>> Before spending a single calorie fighting the effects mountain bikers, I
>> would suggest careful scrutiny of the following examples as comparative
>> analysis and strategic planning. Might these, regarded in totality, be
>> examples of subjects more significant to the endeavor of environmental
>> protection than mountain bike mis-use:
>>
>> 1. Leaf blowers
>> 2. Yard-care products (usually carried to fresh water habitats by
>> storm-drain systems)
>> 3. Contraception-adverse Organized religions
>> 4. Politically significant groups that de-emphasize long-term environmental
>> priorities (Kyoto, EPA, etc.)
>> 5. An uninformed voting public
>> 6. Recycling and reuse
>> 7. National petroleum use and automotive efficiency standards
>> 8. Consumption based rewards programs
>> 9. Misappropriated anti-conservation federal subsidies (+6000lb SUV tax
>> loophole)
>> 10. Indigenous seed-stock modification (Monsanto)......and so on.
>>
>> I suggest that, relative to bigger environmental threats such as those
>> listed above, targeting mountain bikers

> I don't "target mountain bikers". I target mountain BIKING. Get it?
>
>> is time wasted on a comparatively
>> insignificant factor even if we assume worst-case behavior of 100% of the
>> mountain bike rider population.

> This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.
> It's about mountain biking.
>
>> Why alienate the swing voters unless you care less about the bigger cause
>> than a personal rant.

> That's where you went off track. I don't "alienate" anyone. I just tell the
> truth.
>
>> Keep up the good work but sharpen the focus.
>> Focus, focus, focus.

> Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest
> too much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in
> shutting me up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I
> am convinced that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True
> environmentalists don't try to shut up other environmentalists.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

LIAR

> WHAT hostility? I am just telling the truth -- something I guess you

aren't used
> to. You interpret that as hostility.

What hostility?!

You are rabid in your hostility. Here is a guy that seems to be genuenly
interested in dialog, and all you can come up with are insults and
dismissals. It is the insults and dismissals that betray your hostility.

Mountain bikers do not respond negatively to any and all suggestions, they
respond negatively to you. It isn't the message they are responding to, it
is the messenger. It is you. Yes, there are some idiots out there on bikes
that do not like the messege, but it is simply untrue to say that all bikers
are just like them. There are a few in any community that are complete
idiots, you are the idiot of the environmental communtiy for example.

> At 10:51 PM 5/19/04 -0700, kc <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Good on ya mate.

> I wish you the best of luck and I thank you for your efforts to slow the
> asphalting of our planet.
> Sorry you've had some tough experiences with mountain bikers. Do you think
> there is any place appropriate for mountain biking?
>
> Of course: on paved roads.

That's a rather blinkered view of things, mountain bikers don't need tarmac
to ride bikes, jeeeeeeezus they're offroad ffs.

FO and go talk to someone who gives a ****.

douche

"Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> douche

Yes, you are, for full-quote top-posting over all that drivel!

For the love of all that's unholy, trim your damn posts, people!
--
Jonesy "getting sick of this full-quote ****"

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> At 10:51 PM 5/19/04 -0700, kc <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Good on ya mate.

> I wish you the best of luck and I thank you for your efforts to slow the
> asphalting of our planet.
> Sorry you've had some tough experiences with mountain bikers. Do you think
> there is any place appropriate for mountain biking?
>
> Of course: on paved roads.

Then it isn't mountain biking, it is road biking.

> >While I appreciate your points below, it does ring clear that you have

> placed extraordinary priority on mountain bike impacts especially when
> compared to the many other looming environmental issues that should demand
> greater attention.
>
> That's nonsense. One look at my web site would tell you otherwise. Why do
> mountain bikers have such a hard time telling the truth???

Really? If not half, then a third is devoted to anti-mt mike propoganda...
certainly seems extraordinary in comparison...

> > I'm not trying to shut you up with that sort of comment -

> Yes, you are. Why is it so hard for you guys to simply tell the truth??? You
> said I should stop talking about mountain biking and talk about something else.
> It couldn't have been plainer.

> Actually, we have a hard time with your obsessive diatribe against a non-poluting,
> non-killing, efficient mode of transportation when you proclaim to be fighting
> auto dependence and road construction. We find it puzzling that you spend so much
> time fighting bicycles in parks when habitat you champion is being torn away for
> unneeded construction. We find it puzzling why you try to constantly alienate
> potential allies.
>
> >just presenting a point (partly a question) and enjoying the dialog. Even in

> mild written dialog you seem prone to hostility. I apologize for prompting
> this.
>
> WHAT hostility? I am just telling the truth -- something I guess you aren't used
> to. You interpret that as hostility.

No... calling people liars, idiots, stupid, killers.... that is hostility.

> [...]

> >> than a personal rant.

> > That's where you went off track. I don't "alienate" anyone. I just tell the
> > truth.
> >
> >> Keep up the good work but sharpen the focus.
> >> Focus, focus, focus.

> > Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest
> > too much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in
> > shutting me up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I
> > am convinced that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True
> > environmentalists don't try to shut up other environmentalists.
> >
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Karsen Chinook

> > ===
> > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> > humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> > years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:52:42 -0500, "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote:

..
..> ===
..> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..>
..> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..
..LIAR

Where's the lie?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:52:42 -0500, "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .
> .> ===
> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
> .>
> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
> .
> .LIAR
>
> Where's the lie?

Here is a lie, and a direct quote.

(I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

I have been visiting ca.environment for something in the neighborhood of 5
years, and you have been making the same irrelevent claim the entire time.
You could not have spent the past 8 years doing these things, because I have
been coming here for the majority of those years, and you have not fought
these issues more than once that I can remember, and that time you lost. You
may have fought these issues, but not for 8 years, therefore the statement
is a lie, according to your own definition of what a lie is.

Not only are you a liar, you are an idiot.

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:52:42 -0500, "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > .
> > .> ===
> > .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> > .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> > .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
> > .>
> > .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
> > .
> > .LIAR
> >
> > Where's the lie?

> Here is a lie, and a direct quote.
>
> (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
> construction.)
>

> I have been visiting ca.environment for something in the neighborhood of 5
> years, and you have been making the same irrelevent claim the entire time.
> You could not have spent the past 8 years doing these things, because I

have
> been coming here for the majority of those years, and you have not fought
> these issues more than once that I can remember, and that time you lost.

You
> may have fought these issues, but not for 8 years, therefore the statement
> is a lie, according to your own definition of what a lie is.
>
> Not only are you a liar, you are an idiot.

I did a simple Google search on your idiocy, and found that you have been
using the sig line since at least 1998.

---
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years
fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles

It is difficult for me to give proof of the date of the article I pulled
this from, but it was on the 87 page of hits, so it was a very long time
ago. You tell so many lies so constantly that it is difficult for us to
follow them all, and apparently impossible for you to follow them.

You really should try the truth. No, never mind, you won't like it.

On Sat, 22 May 2004 04:57:14 GMT, MudGrrl <[email protected]>
wrote:

..I was talking to some people on another forum, and apparently this whack job of an environmentalist is putting TRAPS on the trails near where he lives.:mad:
..
..
..He also tried to pull a citizens arrest on a group of mountain bikers.

So they were riding illegally?

..Mike, people know who you are... and it isn't a good thing.

Your threat is duly noted.

.. I think the only thing you HAVE accomplished is uniting us against you.
..
..Good Job Mr PhD (apparently common sense doesn't come through years
..of college)
..
..:D

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:14:43 -0400, Steve Curtiss <[email protected]>
wrote:

..
..
..Mike Vandeman wrote:
..
..> At 10:51 PM 5/19/04 -0700, kc <[email protected]> wrote:
..> >Good on ya mate.
..> I wish you the best of luck and I thank you for your efforts to slow the
..> asphalting of our planet.
..> Sorry you've had some tough experiences with mountain bikers. Do you think
..> there is any place appropriate for mountain biking?
..>
..> Of course: on paved roads.
..
..Then it isn't mountain biking, it is road biking.

I don't care what you want to call it. Stay on the pavement, where you belong.

..> >While I appreciate your points below, it does ring clear that you have
..> placed extraordinary priority on mountain bike impacts especially when
..> compared to the many other looming environmental issues that should demand
..> greater attention.
..>
..> That's nonsense. One look at my web site would tell you otherwise. Why do
..> mountain bikers have such a hard time telling the truth???
..
..Really? If not half, then a third is devoted to anti-mt mike propoganda...
..certainly seems extraordinary in comparison...

ZERO propaganda. Just the truth.

[...]

No, it's just honesty.

..> >Good luck and so long.
..> Kc
..>
..> Ps
..>
[...]
..> >
[...]
..> >>
[...]
..> > ===
..> > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> > humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> > years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..> >
..> > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
..> >
..>
..> ===
..> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
..>
..> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"clipped for protection of the innocent"

> .> Sorry you've had some tough experiences with mountain bikers. Do you think
> .> there is any place appropriate for mountain biking?
> .>
> .> Of course: on paved roads.
> .
> .Then it isn't mountain biking, it is road biking.
>
> I don't care what you want to call it. Stay on the pavement, where you belong.

Where "I" belong? Actually, I call it "off road cycling". And I "belong" on legal trail
systems, national parks and any area recognized for off road cycling. Where you think I
belong is irrelevant. Which of these doesn't belong? Mountains, Trees, Animals, Wal-Mart.

> .> That's nonsense. One look at my web site would tell you otherwise. Why do
> .> mountain bikers have such a hard time telling the truth???
> .
> .Really? If not half, then a third is devoted to anti-mt mike propoganda...
> .certainly seems extraordinary in comparison...
>
> ZERO propaganda. Just the truth.

Selective "scientific" information to support opinions is propoganda. Presenting opinion
as fact is propoganda. Proclaiming yourself as an authority in an attempt to make your
opinions sound important is propoganda. Claiming absolute "truth" is propoganda.

> .
> .> WHAT hostility? I am just telling the truth -- something I guess you aren't used
> .> to. You interpret that as hostility.
> .
> .No... calling people liars, idiots, stupid, killers.... that is hostility.
>
> No, it's just honesty.

You may honestly disagree with information or points of view. But calling someone "liar"
and "idiot" is hostile. Simply having different opinions or information from you does not
make someone a liar. Stating the differing information or point of view does not make
someone an "idiot". Calling them "stupid" for not agreeing with you is not honesty. It is
antagonism.

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:52:42 -0500, "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > .
> > > .> ===
> > > .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> > > .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> > > .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
> > > .>
> > > .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
> > > .
> > > .LIAR
> > >
> > > Where's the lie?

> > Here is a lie, and a direct quote.
> >
> > (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
> > construction.)
> >

> > I have been visiting ca.environment for something in the neighborhood of

5
> > years, and you have been making the same irrelevent claim the entire

time.
> > You could not have spent the past 8 years doing these things, because I

> have
> > been coming here for the majority of those years, and you have not

fought
> > these issues more than once that I can remember, and that time you lost.

> You
> > may have fought these issues, but not for 8 years, therefore the

statement
> > is a lie, according to your own definition of what a lie is.
> >
> > Not only are you a liar, you are an idiot.
> >

> I did a simple Google search on your idiocy, and found that you have been
> using the sig line since at least 1998.
>
> ---

LMAO Perfect! The Liar exposed! Thanks!

Hey Mike. You obviously don't have a bike or a car, so how do you get
about?

> I don't care what you want to call it. Stay on the pavement, where you
belong.

Ok, ok, we'll call them pavement bikes just for you.

Look you tree licking animal shagging hippy, mountain bikes are mountain
bikes because they're, (please note hyphenation,) "OFFROAD"

Quick question. I read on your site

WARNING: It is probably impossible to understand my web page, if you own a
car.
Or a mountain bike.

Mike what exactly is your niche market of people you go after?

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:52:42 -0500, "Jason" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .
> .> ===
> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
> .>
> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
> .
> .LIAR
>
> Where's the lie?
> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Sounds like the assholes who yell to stay on the sidewalk where we
belong.

Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> Quick question. I read on your site
>
> WARNING: It is probably impossible to understand my web page, if you
> own a car.
> Or a mountain bike.
>
> Mike what exactly is your niche market of people you go after?

Top-posters.

Bill "and they deserve it, too" S.

> Joseph Jozwik wrote:
> Quick question. I read on your site
>
> WARNING: It is probably impossible to understand my web page, if you
> own a car.
> Or a mountain bike.
>
> Mike what exactly is your niche market of people you go after?

This is what us non-PhDs would call "preaching to the choir."