Why don't I feel good?

guised

Jun 23, 2003
Hi,

I seem to have a problem. I try to commute (weather permitting) 3 times a week on a 30 mile round trip, but on the days at work when I cycle my well being seems to plummet. I quite often get headaches and generally feel unwell during the day.

I'm not sure whether it's nutrition or I'm pushing myself too hard.

A typical commute day has me awaking at 6am and getting on the road for 6:20, I pack the night before and ensure I've got a water bottle on the bike. I don't eat before the journey in, but ensure I have a good dose of water. The 15 miles inbound, is fairly easy riding along tow paths and once warm I like to give it some stick to get my heart and lungs working. The last couple of miles before arrival I slow down and take it a little easier. Once at work I'm lucky enough to have fantastic facilities and take a shower and change into office clothes. At this point I feel great, awake, alive and ready for the day. Once dressed I get a decent breakfast, sometime a full english sometime porridge and have a good few glasses of water. Around mid morning is when it always seems to start going downhill, a dull headache and slight nausea comes on. I often take a paracetamol that seems to contain the issue. I eat a light lunch, especially if the breakfast was large, and continue my usual work day. When I set off for home I'm really not feeling that keen on the ride but funnily the exercise does seem to clear the headache and nausea. I think if it didn't I'd have stopped by now.

I'm a 6' 7" (2m) giant and weight 18st (252lbs), am reasonably healthy (no known issues) but would be the first to admit I don't live like a saint.

Does anyone else suffer like this? Is there anything I should try to make the cycling days more bearable?

Any advice would be greatly a appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan!

I noticed your weight & size. I am a 6'0 232lb powerlifter so what I am about to say is from experience. Your a big dude so your metabolism is WAY higher than a 150 rider. Your heart & lungs need to feed a body that's almost double the mass of a smaller rider so it's working harder. You've really gotta try to eat something before you ride that far. My ride to work is 8 miles & I feel sick shortly after I get there if I left with nothing to eat.

That "sick" your feeling is because your blood glucose is depleted by the time you get there so when you finally do eat your body is low on insulin & now needs to try to deal will making more insulin to begin to digest your breakfast. Low insulin causes Headaches, Nausea, & can make you feel drained for the rest of the day long after your body has recovered. I've been there myself.

Eat a bagel with peanut butter or something with complex carbs & a 'lil protein before you leave. That 15 mile ride for you & me is like a 30 mile ride to a smaller guy on an empty stomach. You'll feel stronger all day long plus you may notice you'll lose a few pounds over time while adding muscle.

One more thing, try to give yourself 10-15 minutes after eating 'til your out the door & pedling or the insulin that's currenty breaking down your food may give you side stitches. If your like me that's a near impossibility because I'm always running late.

Glad to see another bigger guy on a bike. I feel like a freek when I get with a group of smurfs, er, uhm...normal sized people on road bikes!;)

guised said:
Hi,

I seem to have a problem. I try to commute (weather permitting) 3 times a week on a 30 mile round trip, but on the days at work when I cycle my well being seems to plummet. I quite often get headaches and generally feel unwell during the day.

I'm not sure whether it's nutrition or I'm pushing myself too hard.

A typical commute day has me awaking at 6am and getting on the road for 6:20, I pack the night before and ensure I've got a water bottle on the bike. I don't eat before the journey in, but ensure I have a good dose of water. The 15 miles inbound, is fairly easy riding along tow paths and once warm I like to give it some stick to get my heart and lungs working.
<snip>
The first thing I would try would be to eat before the commute. 15 miles is kind of long to go without any food but water.

Thanks for your responses, I'll definitely now try to eat a little before the off and see how things go. The reasons I don't at the moment are firstly not giving myself enough time, and secondly, I normally eat a fairly decent evening meal and would have thought I'd have enough in me to get to work. I certainly don't feel hungry or even fully spent when I arrive.

I'm not an expert on food types, would a couple of bananas be okay? A bagel or similar seems very heavy before tackling a ride.

Thanks again

Dan

15 miles is a pretty good distance to commute on a bike, I would not do it without eating first. I get up early so I can have a decent breakfast that keeps me going till at least midmorning, (I start work at 7). Bananas will do at a pinch. I also have a carton of chocolate milk or something after my commute to stop the blood sugars from plummeting.

Lionfish sums it all up; I would also include possible dehydration, due to the headaches. However you should not have to take paracetamol just because you've ridden into work, none of us live like saints, (my head will testify to that at the mo), and I don't want to be rude but a possibility is the dehydration is down to a bit of a hangover? They usually kick in bigtime around mid-morning.

You also have to ask yourself has this always happened? If the feeling sick and headaches are a new thing then you maybe you've picked up a viral infection? Changing seasons often bring up bugs, it may also explain feeling down at the prospect of cycling home.

I also wonder if you are not overdoing it. You should not be asking how to make cycling more "bearable" it should be fun and looked forward to - it should be the best part of your day. Low moods, headaches, etc are classic signs of the body overdoing it.

Overall though a quick visit to doctor wouldn't go amiss. They can also refer you to a dietician that can give you a idea of what big blokes shoud eat. :D

Dehydration may be an issue but I rarely drink to hang over proportions more often I share a bottle with my wife over the evening meal, so a couple of glasses.

I do enjoy my cycling, and like I mentioned originally, once I'm rolling on the way home, I feel much better, the 'fug' seems to lift. It's like the blood in me just needed to get shook up. Visiting the doctor is a good idea.

I'm going to change my routine for when I next cycle in (storms here in the UK at the moment) and eat a little as soon as I get up. Will post back sometime in the future to let you know if it's helped.

Thanks again for your comments.

Dan

guised said:
Thanks for your responses, I'll definitely now try to eat a little before the off and see how things go. The reasons I don't at the moment are firstly not giving myself enough time, and secondly, I normally eat a fairly decent evening meal and would have thought I'd have enough in me to get to work. I certainly don't feel hungry or even fully spent when I arrive.

I'm not an expert on food types, would a couple of bananas be okay? A bagel or similar seems very heavy before tackling a ride.

Thanks again

Dan
if a bagel doesn't work for you, try spreading some peanut butter on a flour tortilla and rolling it up; a bit lighter, but plenty of fuel.