Widdershins, First Outing

Artemisia

Guest
On this fair Sunday afternoon I took my new baby out for a short spin,
along a rather drab, but flat and straight, cycling path not far from my
home. We did several aller-retours, amounting to about 13 km.

First Impressions

I never noticed before how cambered a lot of streets are. I took a short
stretch of road to reach my path and I swear my right wheel was about 6
inches lower than my left.

STEER, STEER, STEER! This is new. On Fly, I only have to look in a
direction and he reads my mind and goes there. Not so Widders. I have to
tell him _everything_. On said cambered road, he kept trying to fall
into the curb. No dear, go LEFT! Anyway, despite Carol Hague's
contention that recumbent trikes are all female, I now have no further
doubts about his gender.

Overgown hedgerows are a problem. They now overhang at face level. I
wouldn't even have noticed them on a bike.

It is magnificent to be able to stop and just start again! I can be
polite to families and old ladies. I can respect traffic lights without
foul language. On a bike, all of this would have unhorsed me again and
again.

Uphill is a joy. My path was flat, but I spent some time yesterday doing
the ramp to the upper storey of the underground parking. I used to
practise getting up this on Myrtille. Shift down, pedal pedal pedal,
brake, turn, pedal for your life, push, push, push, turn again at the
top and usually miss the mark. Now, shift down, pedal relax, turn, pedal
relax to the top, turn again. I kept trying to speed until I realized I
didn't even have to. It's so zen, I don't even break a sweat.

I had to get in before dusk, not so much because I feared Widders would
turn into something hairy at the sight of the full Moon, as because I
don't have lights for him yet. I've ordered two Cateye EL530's, since
Helen is so pleased with hers. But I'm in a quandary as to where to put
them. No room on the computer mount. I would like them on the front
boom, one on each side, just next to the wheel axles. But how on earth
shall I mount them as the diameter of the boom is about 3", much thicker
than a handlebar?

This is supposedly a folding trike but my first attempt to fold it
failed miserably. I did get the seat off. But the quick release clamp
for the fold didn't seem to release anything, and getting the seat back
on was about 45 minutes of panicky sweat. The manual is most unhelpful
because there are almost no illustrations so you can never tell what it
is talking about; OTOH it is constantly telling you how much danger you
are in if you put things back incorrectly. I will write to HP
Velotechnik demanding more diagrams and better tech writing (given that
it's my own profession.)

EFR
Ile de France

Artemisia wrote:
> On this fair Sunday afternoon I took my new baby out for a short spin,
> along a rather drab, but flat and straight, cycling path not far from
> my home. We did several aller-retours, amounting to about 13 km.
>
> First Impressions
>
> I never noticed before how cambered a lot of streets are. I took a
> short stretch of road to reach my path and I swear my right wheel was
> about 6 inches lower than my left.
>
> STEER, STEER, STEER! This is new. On Fly, I only have to look in a
> direction and he reads my mind and goes there. Not so Widders. I have
> to tell him _everything_. On said cambered road, he kept trying to
> fall into the curb. No dear, go LEFT! Anyway, despite Carol Hague's
> contention that recumbent trikes are all female, I now have no further
> doubts about his gender.
>
> Overgown hedgerows are a problem. They now overhang at face level. I
> wouldn't even have noticed them on a bike.
>
> It is magnificent to be able to stop and just start again! I can be
> polite to families and old ladies. I can respect traffic lights
> without foul language. On a bike, all of this would have unhorsed me
> again and again.
>
> Uphill is a joy. My path was flat, but I spent some time yesterday
> doing the ramp to the upper storey of the underground parking. I used
> to practise getting up this on Myrtille. Shift down, pedal pedal
> pedal, brake, turn, pedal for your life, push, push, push, turn again
> at the top and usually miss the mark. Now, shift down, pedal relax,
> turn, pedal relax to the top, turn again. I kept trying to speed
> until I realized I didn't even have to. It's so zen, I don't even
> break a sweat.
> I had to get in before dusk, not so much because I feared Widders
> would turn into something hairy at the sight of the full Moon, as
> because I don't have lights for him yet. I've ordered two Cateye
> EL530's, since Helen is so pleased with hers. But I'm in a quandary
> as to where to put them. No room on the computer mount. I would like
> them on the front boom, one on each side, just next to the wheel
> axles. But how on earth shall I mount them as the diameter of the
> boom is about 3", much thicker than a handlebar?
>
> This is supposedly a folding trike but my first attempt to fold it
> failed miserably. I did get the seat off. But the quick release clamp
> for the fold didn't seem to release anything, and getting the seat
> back on was about 45 minutes of panicky sweat. The manual is most
> unhelpful because there are almost no illustrations so you can never
> tell what it is talking about; OTOH it is constantly telling you how
> much danger you are in if you put things back incorrectly. I will
> write to HP Velotechnik demanding more diagrams and better tech
> writing (given that it's my own profession.)
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

Before Jobst flames you for posting a ride report here ( :p ) and then
starts another political thread, let me just say, "Charming."

Bill "happy trials and trails (and streets and paths)" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Artemisia wrote:
>> On this fair Sunday afternoon I took my new baby out for a short spin,
>> along a rather drab, but flat and straight, cycling path not far from
>> my home. We did several aller-retours, amounting to about 13 km.
>>
>> First Impressions
>>
>> I never noticed before how cambered a lot of streets are. I took a
>> short stretch of road to reach my path and I swear my right wheel was
>> about 6 inches lower than my left.
>>
>> STEER, STEER, STEER! This is new. On Fly, I only have to look in a
>> direction and he reads my mind and goes there. Not so Widders. I have
>> to tell him _everything_. On said cambered road, he kept trying to
>> fall into the curb. No dear, go LEFT! Anyway, despite Carol Hague's
>> contention that recumbent trikes are all female, I now have no further
>> doubts about his gender.
>>
>> Overgown hedgerows are a problem. They now overhang at face level. I
>> wouldn't even have noticed them on a bike.
>>
>> It is magnificent to be able to stop and just start again! I can be
>> polite to families and old ladies. I can respect traffic lights
>> without foul language. On a bike, all of this would have unhorsed me
>> again and again.
>>
>> Uphill is a joy. My path was flat, but I spent some time yesterday
>> doing the ramp to the upper storey of the underground parking. I used
>> to practise getting up this on Myrtille. Shift down, pedal pedal
>> pedal, brake, turn, pedal for your life, push, push, push, turn again
>> at the top and usually miss the mark. Now, shift down, pedal relax,
>> turn, pedal relax to the top, turn again. I kept trying to speed
>> until I realized I didn't even have to. It's so zen, I don't even
>> break a sweat.
>> I had to get in before dusk, not so much because I feared Widders
>> would turn into something hairy at the sight of the full Moon, as
>> because I don't have lights for him yet. I've ordered two Cateye
>> EL530's, since Helen is so pleased with hers. But I'm in a quandary
>> as to where to put them. No room on the computer mount. I would like
>> them on the front boom, one on each side, just next to the wheel
>> axles. But how on earth shall I mount them as the diameter of the
>> boom is about 3", much thicker than a handlebar?
>>
>> This is supposedly a folding trike but my first attempt to fold it
>> failed miserably. I did get the seat off. But the quick release clamp
>> for the fold didn't seem to release anything, and getting the seat
>> back on was about 45 minutes of panicky sweat. The manual is most
>> unhelpful because there are almost no illustrations so you can never
>> tell what it is talking about; OTOH it is constantly telling you how
>> much danger you are in if you put things back incorrectly. I will
>> write to HP Velotechnik demanding more diagrams and better tech
>> writing (given that it's my own profession.)

> Before Jobst flames you for posting a ride report here ( :p ) and then
> starts another political thread, let me just say, "Charming."

to quote Neil Brooks:

"

..
"

Tom Sherman wrote:
> [...]
>>> axles. But how on earth shall I mount them as the diameter of the
>>> boom is about 3", much thicker than a handlebar?
>>>
>>> This is supposedly a folding trike but my first attempt to fold it
>>> failed miserably. I did get the seat off. But the quick release
>>> clamp for the fold didn't seem to release anything, and getting the
>>> seat back on was about 45 minutes of panicky sweat. The manual is
>>> most unhelpful because there are almost no illustrations so you can
>>> never tell what it is talking about; OTOH it is constantly telling
>>> you how much danger you are in if you put things back incorrectly.
>>> I will write to HP Velotechnik demanding more diagrams and better
>>> tech writing (given that it's my own profession.)

>> Before Jobst flames you for posting a ride report here ( :p ) and
>> then starts another political thread, let me just say, "Charming."

I plonked Neil so I wouldn't be tempted to flame him, OR be subject to his
slander and lies, so he can thank you for this*: Hope his wife (his main
support other than Vicadin and Disability even though he's healthy as a
horse) didn't lose her job when Planned Parenthood was busted for telling
underage pregnant girls to lie about their age so they wouldn't have to
report their statutory rapists to the authorities. He can always take his
Magic Flying Prus (sic tm) to France again, I guess. Or ride one of his two
$6K Mootses. Disability and chemical/spousal dependence really pay!

OK, time to let go again...

Bill "I hear the blogs are hiring!" S.

*He swore he plonked me, so won't see that. Right.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>>
>>> Before Jobst flames you for posting a ride report here ( :p ) and
>>> then starts another political thread, let me just say, "Charming."

>> to quote Neil Brooks:
>>
>> "

>> .
>> "

> I plonked Neil so I wouldn't be tempted to flame him, OR be subject to his
> slander and lies, so he can thank you for this*: Hope his wife (his main
> support other than Vicadin and Disability even though he's healthy as a
> horse) didn't lose her job when Planned Parenthood was busted for telling
> underage pregnant girls to lie about their age so they wouldn't have to
> report their statutory rapists to the authorities. He can always take his
> Magic Flying Prus (sic tm) to France again, I guess. Or ride one of his two
> $6K Mootses. Disability and chemical/spousal dependence really pay!
>
> OK, time to let go again...
>
> Bill "I hear the blogs are hiring!" S.
>
> *He swore he plonked me, so won't see that. Right.

Real classy post there Mr. Sornson - posting personal gossip.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>>
>>> Before Jobst flames you for posting a ride report here ( :p ) and
>>> then starts another political thread, let me just say, "Charming."

>> to quote Neil Brooks:
>>
>> "

>> .
>> "

> I plonked Neil so I wouldn't be tempted to flame him, OR be subject to his
> slander and lies, so he can thank you for this*: Hope his wife (his main
> support other than Vicadin and Disability even though he's healthy as a
> horse) didn't lose her job when Planned Parenthood was busted for telling
> underage pregnant girls to lie about their age so they wouldn't have to
> report their statutory rapists to the authorities. He can always take his
> Magic Flying Prus (sic tm) to France again, I guess. Or ride one of his two
> $6K Mootses. Disability and chemical/spousal dependence really pay!
>
> OK, time to let go again...
>
> Bill "I hear the blogs are hiring!" S.
>
> *He swore he plonked me, so won't see that. Right.

Real classy post there Mr. Sornson - posting personal gossip.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

"Artemisia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyway, despite Carol Hague's contention that recumbent trikes are all
> female, I now have no further doubts about his gender.

Oh mine is definitely male too. Always has been. Indeed, all my steeds are
male.

Gino & Luigi Mk II (The Bianchi Brothers)
Mr Norbert Frosty (IceT)
My hybrid is male too, but he won't tell me his name, so he's referred to as
Clint.

On 4 Nov, 19:26, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've ordered two Cateye EL530's, since
> Helen is so pleased with hers. But I'm in a quandary as to where to put
> them. No room on the computer mount. I would like them on the front
> boom, one on each side, just next to the wheel axles. But how on earth
> shall I mount them as the diameter of the boom is about 3", much thicker
> than a handlebar?

Judging by:
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/images/presse/sco_fx_gefaltet_smart2_dreirad.jpg
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/images/presse/sco_fx_links_dreirad.jpg
and other pics on the HPV site, you are supposed to use the mounting
point on the underside of the boom (under the bottom bracket) with a
B&M type dynamo light mount :(
This would seem to be a major pain in the bum, as I'm not aware of any
commercial adaptors that you could use to mount your 530's from there,
and IMHO a single screw attachment would not be strong / stiff enough
for the weight of two (or even one) decent battery lights. And you do
really want the lights well forward to minimise foot flash.
I suggest that you contact HPV ungently with a suitable plea for help!

In article <[email protected]>, Artemisia wrote:

>I had to get in before dusk, not so much because I feared Widders would
>turn into something hairy at the sight of the full Moon, as because I
>don't have lights for him yet. I've ordered two Cateye EL530's, since
>Helen is so pleased with hers. But I'm in a quandary as to where to put
>them. No room on the computer mount. I would like them on the front
>boom, one on each side, just next to the wheel axles. But how on earth
>shall I mount them as the diameter of the boom is about 3", much thicker
>than a handlebar?

Remind me, did you end up with a front derailleur post?
If so, consider something like
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/standard_trikes/accessories.htm#LightMount

(Which appears to be a normal Minoura Space Grip:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300001170
(The square plastic bit unscrews and does up in the other alignment so
it can clamp to handlebars or as shown in the ICE photo.)

squeaker wrote:

> This would seem to be a major pain in the bum, as I'm not aware of any
> commercial adaptors that you could use to mount your 530's from there,
> and IMHO a single screw attachment would not be strong / stiff enough
> for the weight of two (or even one) decent battery lights. And you do
> really want the lights well forward to minimise foot flash.
> I suggest that you contact HPV ungently with a suitable plea for help!

I was hoping to put them next to my hips, on the beam that is
perpendicular to my body and feeds into the wheel axles. Is that a bad
place? I don't want the two lights too near each other as this cancels
the advantage of having two of them.

I know the Scorpion makes provision for mounting a B&M dynamo but that
is not my choice of lighting at all...

In fact, there is precious little space on this thing, it's even worse
than an upright. Apparently one isn't allowed to put anything on the
handlebars because it could perturb steering.

EFR
Ile de France

Alan Braggins wrote:

> Remind me, did you end up with a front derailleur post?

No, for the moment there's just the 24-spped SRAM on the back.

> (Which appears to be a normal Minoura Space Grip:

That's what Helen uses. It might turn out to be the solution, but I
would prefer not to have both lights so close together.

Carol Hague and Rob at Westcountry Recumbents had a lighting system on
one of their trikes with two lights by the sides of the seat. They were
on the handlebars, I think. That't the sort of thing I have in mind.

EFR
Ile de France