Widest tire possible for 700c?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by SharpyWarpy, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. SharpyWarpy

    SharpyWarpy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    What's the widest tire possible for a 700c rim, one inch wide? I don't want the tire to blow off but I need something wider than the 22mm I'm using.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    SharpyWarpy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What's the widest tire possible for a 700c rim, one inch
    > wide? I don't want the tire to blow off but I need
    > something wider than the 22mm I'm using.

    Is that 1" *internal* width or *external* width? According
    to the chart on Sheldon Brown's pages (
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width ) 22mm is
    far too narrow for a 1" *internal* width rim. If it's
    *external* width, you should be able to use up to a 32mm
    wide tire without a problem.

    FWIW: I use Sun CR-18 rims on a couple bikes. No problems
    with tires from 28mm to 38mm wide.

    Jeff

  3. The simple answer: 28mm is a great commuting tire for a road bike.

    The details?

    The first issue is your weight and what pressure you are
    running. Divide the weight of you and your bike by your tire
    pressure, and you will have about how much tire meets the
    road. Heavy weight and low pressure mean big tires.

    Wider tires will reduce pinch or snakebite flats, from
    hitting sharp objects such as curbs and grates.

    While you could get very wide hybrid tires, such as 45s or
    so, I wouldn't advise it unless you want to run lower
    pressure and go slower.

    "SharpyWarpy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the widest tire possible for a 700c rim, one inch
    > wide? I don't want the tire to blow off but I need
    > something wider than the 22mm I'm using.
    >

    > --

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    SharpyWarpy wrote:

    > What's the widest tire possible for a 700c rim, one inch
    > wide? I don't want the tire to blow off but I need
    > something wider than the 22mm I'm using.

    The Schwalbe Big Apple [1] is available in ISO 50-622 and
    60-622 [2] sizes (among others) which makes it one of the
    widest tires intended for on pavement use.

    [1] < http://www.schwalbetires.com/on_tour.php?Nickname=BIG-
    %20APPLE&Image=TireImages/big_apple.gif

    [2] ISO 622-mm = 700C = "28-inch" [3]
    [3] A "28-inch" tire actually has a smaller bead seat
    diameter than a "27-inch" (ISO 630-mm) tire. For some
    irrational reason continental Europeans like to use the
    "28-inch" designation.