Will biking near Max Heart Rate cause a Heart Attack?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I just finished my first race on August 21, 2004. My HRM showed that I hit 185 -- my MHR. And my race ride HR average was 95% MHR.

Will biking near 100% to 94% MHR cause a heart attack ? Immediate heart attack or later on or way after the ride? Has this ever happened to any known cyclist ?

JTE83 said:
I just finished my first race on August 21, 2004. My HRM showed that I hit 185 -- my MHR. And my race ride HR average was 95% MHR.

Will biking near 100% to 94% MHR cause a heart attack ? Immediate heart attack or later on or way after the ride? Has this ever happened to any known cyclist ?
Here's a great article on that subject. Net = there are basically 2 conditions that cause heart attack for athletes;

A. Genetic predisposition - fatal cardiac arrhythmias are primarily tied to congenital defects.

B. Intense exersie later in life ~35yrs+ can dislodge atherosclerotic plaque that has built up over the years and block blood flow through an artery.

http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03sept/heart.htm

JTE83 said:

Here's a great article on that subject. Net = there are basically 2 conditions that cause heart attack for athletes;

A. Genetic predisposition - fatal cardiac arrhythmias are primarily tied to congenital defects.

B. Intense exercise later in life ~35yrs+ can dislodge atherosclerotic plaque that has built up over the years and block blood flow through an artery.

http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03sept/heart.htm

allanw said:

B. Intense exercise later in life ~35yrs+ can dislodge atherosclerotic plaque that has built up over the years and block blood flow through an artery.

Thanks for the link and info. I have heart murmur, so I guess I should ask a doctor about strenous (92%+ MHR) biking.

I wonder, does atherosclerotic plaque dissappear with time as you lose weight and excercise more ?

JTE83 said:
I wonder, does atherosclerotic plaque dissappear with time as you lose weight and excercise more ?

If you are eating very clean and your LDL cholesterol level is lower now than in the past, then you can see a reduction in atherosclerotic plaque.

JTE83 said:

Reading your question I was reminded of the author and marathon runner, Jim Fixx, who died some twenty years ago of a massive heart attack.

Wikipedia article - Jim Fixx

I am considerably older than Jim Fixx was when he died, and I have a heart murmur, and have hit 174 bpm going uphill. I'm in the best cardiovascular shape of my life (my doctor agrees), cruise the roads at 13-20 mph, and love cycling. Never had a fatal accident, and hope to die healthy with a smile on my face. Jim Fixx died doing what he loved most.

The thing to remember with the Jim Fixx story is that he would have died a lot younger if he hadn't got into running. His heart was a serious bumb ticker and the running prolonged his life, even though he died doing it in the end. How did you calculate your MHR? If your monitoring HR while on the bike then you should know pretty close to what it is, based on some near or at maximum sustained efforts. I'm 41 and I routinely crank up to MHR during rides and stay up in the 85-90% zone for an hour or longer on 2-3 hour rides.

davidbod said:
The thing to remember with the Jim Fixx story is that he would have died a lot younger if he hadn't got into running. His heart was a serious bumb ticker and the running prolonged his life, even though he died doing it in the end. How did you calculate your MHR? If your monitoring HR while on the bike then you should know pretty close to what it is, based on some near or at maximum sustained efforts. I'm 41 and I routinely crank up to MHR during rides and stay up in the 85-90% zone for an hour or longer on 2-3 hour rides.

Yes, it was on the bike, read and recorded on my Polar 710. I remember that Jim Fixx had mentioned in one of his books that his father had died young with heart disease.

Joe Faust said:
Reading your question I was reminded of the author and marathon runner, Jim Fixx, who died some twenty years ago of a massive heart attack.

Wikipedia article - Jim Fixx

I am considerably older than Jim Fixx was when he died, and I have a heart murmur, and have hit 174 bpm going uphill. I'm in the best cardiovascular shape of my life (my doctor agrees), cruise the roads at 13-20 mph, and love cycling. Never had a fatal accident, and hope to die healthy with a smile on my face. Jim Fixx died doing what he loved most.
Good point. I say if you like doing it then do it. Better to live a short happy life than a depressing life of any length. Although I would prefer to live a long happy life though.

Joe Faust said:
Yes, it was on the bike, read and recorded on my Polar 710. I remember that Jim Fixx had mentioned in one of his books that his father had died young with heart disease.

Those HR questions were for the original poster. I'm wondering whether 185 is JTE83s real MHR.

Joe Faust said:
Never had a fatal accident, and hope to die healthy with a smile on my face.QUOTE]

Wait, wait, wait, so you've NEVER had a fatal accident? Interesting...

Sorry, had to getcha on that one :)