Winning stages is stupid

In article <8930f83d-e533-4b79-a592-baf146f08eb6@f24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On May 28, 10:46 am, Snack <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Celebrating individual stage victories is just another sign that the
> > sport is Dry Humping The Gorilla
> >
> > http://velonews.com/photo/76771

> Ah, but isn't it nice to know that an albino can grow up to win a
> stage in the Giro rather than becoming a cold-blooded killer for
> Christ?
> Yeah, try thinking of it that way.
> ABS

I wonder where he gets the sweat-resistant SPF 250.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On May 29, 9:42 am, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Riddle me this, is cycling a individual sport or a team sport?
>
> Big snip <

Axel Merckx pulled for Floyd Landis in the TdF on the big comeback...
and a few years before Floyd did the same for Lance.

Patton won some battles, but Eisenhower gets credit for winning the
war.

Winning stages ISN'T stupid, it's just part of a bigger picture.
Since they're all there anyway, why not spread around some glory to
stage winners?

ABS

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 29, 9:42 am, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Riddle me this, is cycling a individual sport or a team sport?
>>
>> Big snip <

> Axel Merckx pulled for Floyd Landis in the TdF on the big comeback...
> and a few years before Floyd did the same for Lance.
>
> Patton won some battles, but Eisenhower gets credit for winning the
> war.
>
> Winning stages ISN'T stupid, it's just part of a bigger picture.
> Since they're all there anyway, why not spread around some glory to
> stage winners?
>
> ABS

Hell, winning stages is the only thing that counts. Stage racing is
stupid except for the fact that every day is a new race. Crossing the
line first... that's what bike racing was meant to be.

"Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> On May 29, 9:42 am, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Riddle me this, is cycling a individual sport or a team sport?
>>>
>>> Big snip <

>> Axel Merckx pulled for Floyd Landis in the TdF on the big comeback...
>> and a few years before Floyd did the same for Lance.
>>
>> Patton won some battles, but Eisenhower gets credit for winning the
>> war.
>>
>> Winning stages ISN'T stupid, it's just part of a bigger picture.
>> Since they're all there anyway, why not spread around some glory to
>> stage winners?
>>
>> ABS

> Hell, winning stages is the only thing that counts. Stage racing is
> stupid except for the fact that every day is a new race. Crossing the
> line first... that's what bike racing was meant to be.

I enjoy cycling much more from a philosophical standpoint then from a
logical standpoint, where helps to me to tolerate all the shortcomings, but
for me, cycling will always be an individual sport.

GBMT

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> I enjoy cycling much more from a philosophical standpoint then from a
> logical standpoint, where helps to me to tolerate all the shortcomings, but
> for me, cycling will always be an individual sport.

Is that because nobody wants to ride with you?

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>> MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

>>That's the mentality that's destroying the sport right there.
>>
>>Magilla

> Riddle me this, is cycling a individual sport or a team sport?

Cycling is a team sport.

Magilla

Geraard Spergen wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On May 29, 9:42 am, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Riddle me this, is cycling a individual sport or a team sport?
>>>
>>> Big snip <

>> Axel Merckx pulled for Floyd Landis in the TdF on the big comeback...
>> and a few years before Floyd did the same for Lance.
>>
>> Patton won some battles, but Eisenhower gets credit for winning the
>> war.
>>
>> Winning stages ISN'T stupid, it's just part of a bigger picture.
>> Since they're all there anyway, why not spread around some glory to
>> stage winners?
>>
>> ABS

> Hell, winning stages is the only thing that counts. Stage racing is
> stupid except for the fact that every day is a new race. Crossing the
> line first... that's what bike racing was meant to be.

Hey dumbass,

The best racers in a stage race don't even contend for each stage. So
winning a stage during a stage race is stupid because 50% of the peloton
isn't even going for the win.

So when some guy crosses the line first, why is so happy?

It's the equivalent of a NASCAR driver celebrating every lap he wins
before the final lap. It's stupid, and assinine.

Magilla

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> "Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>[email protected] wrote:

>>>Axel Merckx pulled for Floyd Landis in the TdF on the big comeback...
>>>and a few years before Floyd did the same for Lance.
>>>
>>>Patton won some battles, but Eisenhower gets credit for winning the
>>>war.
>>>
>>>Winning stages ISN'T stupid, it's just part of a bigger picture.
>>>Since they're all there anyway, why not spread around some glory to
>>>stage winners?
>>>
>>>ABS

>>Hell, winning stages is the only thing that counts. Stage racing is
>>stupid except for the fact that every day is a new race. Crossing the
>>line first... that's what bike racing was meant to be.

> I enjoy cycling much more from a philosophical standpoint then from a
> logical standpoint, where helps to me to tolerate all the shortcomings, but
> for me, cycling will always be an individual sport.
>
> GBMT

Then you may want to tell the riders who win and thank their teammates
"for whom my victory wouldn't have been possible" to stop lying.

Magilla

"MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>
>> "Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Hell, winning stages is the only thing that counts. Stage racing is
>>>stupid except for the fact that every day is a new race. Crossing the
>>>line first... that's what bike racing was meant to be.

>> I enjoy cycling much more from a philosophical standpoint then from a
>> logical standpoint, where helps to me to tolerate all the shortcomings,
>> but for me, cycling will always be an individual sport.
>>
>> GBMT

> Then you may want to tell the riders who win and thank their teammates
> "for whom my victory wouldn't have been possible" to stop lying.
>
> Magilla

That's often the problem with race reports, why riders complain about
reports on some of the main cycling sites, often they are furious because
the wrong people are getting credit of who did what on what team, which led
to the outcome of the race. I have heard this directly from a number of
riders about race reports.

Cycling as a team sport has some interesting and intriguing aspects, but the
more sophisticated and integrated it becomes as a team sport, the more
watered down it becomes as an individual sport, and thus rankings and
various types of individual stats become more and more meaningless. I would
of liked to have seen Lance and everyone else in one of the tours he won, to
ride it strictly as a indvidual riders tour without teams, every man for
himself, and then see if Lance still wins, and just as interesting would be
who came out on top in the top ten. There are many instances over many years
where riders have won races without the help of a complete team, for
whatever reasons, bad team, missing or riders who didn't finish or riders
like Longo who rode without a team. My point is if cycling were purely an
individual sport without teams, then the rankings would be a better
measurement of a rider's abilities and cycling would be much more accurate
to those who see it through the lens as an individual sport, as sports
writers often write with glaring headlines that Cycling is an individual
sport! Cycling shouldn't be circus acrobatics or a high wire act where one
rider depends on all the others to stay on the wire. I like the concept of
the pure athletic performance, without too many technical maneuvers or team
science, IE-Science of Lance. I want to know who the best man is on an equal
and fair playing field, and teams destroy that concept.

Since racing is won by an individual winner, bike racing should be run as an
individual sport so that the winner, is truly who the winner should be. The
more and more sophisticated and scientific winning by a team becomes, the
more and more vague and meaningless the individual winner becomes. You can't
even get a true winner in the worlds or the Olympics, since this concept of
teamwork or nationalities comes into play. I would like to see a big one day
race like the worlds run as an individual race, where the winner was really
the best rider on the day, and not some sort of relay race. In track, we
know who the best are, except the relay races, but in cycling we don't
really know. That's why I like what Merckx used to do by dominating from the
front, which is pretty much a statement about the fact that he was the best
rider out there, and no team will overshadow his prowess. I know you don't
like Merckx as the Babe Ruth of cycling, but its just an example of what
riders have done to make such statments about who is really king in the
sport.

Indurain did it too on one stage during the tour, making a statement that
he is the best, and breaking the will of the peloton. Luperini did it in
many races between 95 and 98, riding way off the front solo many times
making the concept of winning by teamwork totally irrelevant. Lemond won
pretty much without the help of a good team in 89. That's what makes racing
exciting, the individual winner is truly the valid hero in this respect, and
fans want to identify with who the true winner is, not the team. There is so
much in cycling that often reflects the amazement of the individual effort,
and the winner should reflect the pure highlights of those individual
efforts. When you have a challenge like Mount Hamilton or Mount Evans, you
get the true winner, but if a team is involved as in a mountain stage, you
get the team nursing the leader close to the finish line, and then he climbs
the last little bit. That's not bike racing to me.

GBMT

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>>
>> I enjoy cycling much more from a philosophical standpoint then from a
>> logical standpoint, where helps to me to tolerate all the shortcomings,
>> but for me, cycling will always be an individual sport.
>>

> Is that because nobody wants to ride with you?

Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

Yummy, andouillette.

On May 30, 9:38 am, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Kyle Legate wrote:
> >> Is that because nobody wants to ride with you?

> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> > Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

> Yummy, andouillette.

No no no. "Andouillette flavored." Big difference. You've heard of
bratwurst? This would be "worst brat".

In article <[email protected]>,
Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kyle Legate wrote:
> >> Is that because nobody wants to ride with you?

> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> > Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

> Yummy, andouillette.

Inside out andouillette.

--

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>>> I enjoy cycling much more from a philosophical standpoint then from a
>>> logical standpoint, where helps to me to tolerate all the shortcomings,
>>> but for me, cycling will always be an individual sport.
>>>

>> Is that because nobody wants to ride with you?

> Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

There are so many to choose from. Which one gives you the best sensations?

Kyle Legate wrote:
> There are so many to choose from. Which one gives you the best sensations?

Deja Vu II.

On May 31, 1:04 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Is that because nobody wants to ride with you?

> > Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

> There are so many to choose from. Which one gives you the best sensations?

You mean the WURST sensations.
-aPaul

On May 31, 4:04 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Take one of those German sausages and shove it up your butt.

> There are so many to choose from. Which one gives you the best sensations?

you're in Munich, right? Then Weisswurst, naturally. But only before
noon, and with a pretzel and mustard. And you have to squeeze it out
of the casing.