Winter clothing

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by TrailRat, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. TrailRat

    TrailRat Guest

    I froze this morning and didn't expect to neither. Left the house at
    7am to go to High Beech, got half way (about 2 miles) and almost all my
    extremities were numb. Fingers, toes, nose and even my knees were
    starting to get numb too.

    So I've made a practical decision to beef up my winter wardrobe. I
    currently ride with Polaris Beanie under the helmet, a Heddy covering
    my face and neck, lightweight windstopper jacket, jumper under that,
    t-shirt under the jumper. Trousers are a pair of heavy duty combats,
    normal socks and then my Diadoras. Not sure of the make. On my hands a
    pair of Gore-Tex windstoppers.

    So how would I go about beefing up this wardrobe. I know the shoes have
    got to go because they let in water now. I have my eye on a pair I like
    so that's off the request list. I do a lot of XC/Singletrack so
    something suitable for that. Essentially I'm looking for a shopping
    list for the New Year when the sales are on. Until then I'll ride later
    in the day when it's warmer.

    What I'm looking for - trousers or something to wear under combats
    (apart from long johns), better jacket, better jumpers/fleeces,
    suitable t-shirts/jerseys. Also something to help improve the gloves
    would be nice. Obviously all this would have to let me breath.

    Any other comments would be appreciated too.

    I've always respected the opinion of the group so that's why I'm asking
    again.

    Thank You.

    TR

    Tags:

  2. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I froze this morning and didn't expect to neither. Left the house at
    > 7am to go to High Beech, got half way (about 2 miles) and almost all my
    > extremities were numb. Fingers, toes, nose and even my knees were
    > starting to get numb too.

    How you dress depends on how far you want to go. Yesterday we set off for
    our ride. About a half a mile in my fingers were cold. About 1.5 miles in I
    was getting the pain you get when they're warming up. They were fine for the
    rest of the ride - my body was warmed up and producing excess heat, some of
    which kept my hands warm.

    One thing I noticed recently was how much warmer my winter bibs are than my
    ron hills - the roubaix-type fabric is distinctly lovely. So I'd recommend a
    pair of such tights for your legs, if only as a base layer.

    My lusso jersey/jacket thing is also very nice - again, not a loose fit.

    Winter shoes have been mentioned many times on this group - they are the
    business. Remember to get them big enough to wear two pairs of socks, one
    thick. I'm deeply unfashionable, so my walking socks are quite long, which
    keeps the lower calf warm.

    cheers,
    clive

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What I'm looking for - trousers or something to wear under combats
    > (apart from long johns), better jacket, better jumpers/fleeces,
    > suitable t-shirts/jerseys. Also something to help improve the gloves
    > would be nice. Obviously all this would have to let me breath.

    Personally I find ordinary Lycra tights are ok as legs keep warm by working
    but the winter weight brushed type are warmer yet, the thing is that if
    Lycra gets wet it dries reasonably quickly wheras heavier fabrics won't.
    Avoid cotton tees, they absorb and store perspiration which has a real
    chilling effect, especially bad if you speed up and increase the wind chill.
    My own favourite base layer is the Altura Inter, £20.00 from
    www.wiggle.co.uk/, over this I wear an Endura (or similar) s/s jersey with
    an Altura Altitude long sleeved jersey over that, this is finished off
    with a Goretex shell and is good for sub-zero. If the temp rises
    considerably I can dispense with either the s/s jersey or Altitude top and
    bung it in the Camelbak.
    Head's protected by a Buff or Sub Zero fleece balaclava.
    Shimano W100's (now superceded by similar products) and walking socks for
    dry road work or SealSkinz Merino socks if there's water about to keep the
    feet cosy.
    Currently I'm using SealSkinz Winter Gloves which ain't up to the task of
    sub zero riding, formerly I used Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws which were great
    (I'm going to see if I can source some more).
    ..
    Hope this helps.
    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

  4. Mike_P

    Mike_P Guest

    "TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I know the shoes have
    > got to go because they let in water now.

    You could wear a pair of Porelle Dry socks under the Diadoras. Might not
    need to swap them then.
    I find that they're not the most comfortable things, particularly for long
    distances, but they certainly keep your feet warm and dry. Mine only come
    out in winter.

    Mike

  5. My normal winter gear for temps around freezing to -5
    fleece hat
    fleece face mask
    fleece gloves
    long sleeved thermal top
    lined waterproof jkt
    ron hilll tracksters
    shimano cycling shoes

    If it needs beefed up then I add a woolen jersey or fleeze top,
    jogging bottoms on top of the Ron Hills, and neoprene overshoes

    That has coped for a commute of 12 miles in around -10. The problems
    I find at those temps are mechanical. Even with the bike kept indoors
    at either end any moisture in the control cables freezes up and can jam
    gear cables.
    Iain

  6. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    To improve your gloves, you might consider a pair of pure silk glove-liners
    from somewhere like www.Patra.co.uk

    I got a pair and they fit neatly under my Gore Windstoppers.

    John

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My normal winter gear for temps around freezing to -5
    > fleece hat
    > fleece face mask
    > fleece gloves
    > long sleeved thermal top
    > lined waterproof jkt
    > ron hilll tracksters
    > shimano cycling shoes
    >
    > If it needs beefed up then I add a woolen jersey or fleeze top,
    > jogging bottoms on top of the Ron Hills, and neoprene overshoes
    >
    > That has coped for a commute of 12 miles in around -10. The problems
    > I find at those temps are mechanical. Even with the bike kept indoors
    > at either end any moisture in the control cables freezes up and can jam
    > gear cables.
    > Iain

  7. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Sorry, that should read: www.patra.com

    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > To improve your gloves, you might consider a pair of pure silk
    > glove-liners from somewhere like www.Patra.co.uk
    >
    > I got a pair and they fit neatly under my Gore Windstoppers.
    >
    > John
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> My normal winter gear for temps around freezing to -5
    >> fleece hat
    >> fleece face mask
    >> fleece gloves
    >> long sleeved thermal top
    >> lined waterproof jkt
    >> ron hilll tracksters
    >> shimano cycling shoes
    >>
    >> If it needs beefed up then I add a woolen jersey or fleeze top,
    >> jogging bottoms on top of the Ron Hills, and neoprene overshoes
    >>
    >> That has coped for a commute of 12 miles in around -10. The problems
    >> I find at those temps are mechanical. Even with the bike kept indoors
    >> at either end any moisture in the control cables freezes up and can jam
    >> gear cables.
    >> Iain

  8. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    > Any other comments would be appreciated too.

    I did 225 Km yesterday, started at 07:30 and it was about -4 celcius. I
    wore

    double layer hat with built in ear muffs + santa hat

    buff

    stringvest+long sleeve thermal+ windstoper gilet+windtex jersey

    Altura pilot gloves

    bib shorts+roubaix bib tights

    calf length ski socks+ cycling shoes+1mm neoprene over shoes

    my feet were cold for a while but I warmed them up by scrunching them
    inside my shoe, once I'd sorted that out I was fine.

  9. Mike_P wrote:
    > "TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I know the shoes have
    > > got to go because they let in water now.

    > You could wear a pair of Porelle Dry socks under the Diadoras. Might not
    > need to swap them then.
    > I find that they're not the most comfortable things, particularly for long
    > distances, but they certainly keep your feet warm and dry. Mine only come
    > out in winter.
    >
    > Mike

    I had some Porelle drys and they were crap. Uncomfortable, but worse -
    they filled with water if it rained at all hard - then feet stayed wet
    for the rest of the day even if the rest of you had completely dried
    out. They only keep water out if you also have waterproof trousers and
    if you don't get splashed. Otherwise they keep water in! Probably OK
    for golfers pottering about, but not for active outdoor pursuits.
    I got my money back from the makers after a big argument with the shop.
    The advertising was dishonest as it showed people wading through
    mountain streams and cycling with bare legs in the rain - both
    situations in which they would be utterly useless.

    cheers

    Jacob

  10. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:48:03 -0800, TrailRat wrote:

    > So I've made a practical decision to beef up my winter wardrobe. I
    > currently ride with Polaris Beanie under the helmet, a Heddy covering my
    > face and neck, lightweight windstopper jacket, jumper under that, t-shirt

    Sta