Winter Cycling Jacket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aero, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Aero

    Aero Guest

    Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding (20-40
    deg F) with good moisture management properties.

    I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable) wind
    shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.

    Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One Jacket, or maybe PolarTec
    Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want to share.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    It all depends on how water resistant you need it to be. The more water resistant the less
    breathable and thus the more venting is important.

    At 20 degrees and minimal or no chance for rain I never wear a full shell, but rather a base vest or
    an outer vest. Next I have an Activent jacket and finially for real rain a Burley Rapid Rider. They
    all have their place.

    The bottom line is cold weather combined with percipitation and significant exertion (like
    climbing), you're going to get wet from the inside.

    Good luck.

    Aero wrote:

    > Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding
    > (20-40 deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    >
    > I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    > wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    >
    > Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One Jacket, or maybe PolarTec
    > Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want to share.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Michael Hoyt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It all depends on how water resistant you need it to be. The more water resistant the less
    > breathable and thus the more venting is important.
    >
    > At 20 degrees and minimal or no chance for rain I never wear a full shell,
    but
    > rather a base vest or an outer vest. Next I have an Activent jacket and finially for real rain a
    > Burley Rapid Rider. They all have their place.
    >
    > The bottom line is cold weather combined with percipitation and
    significant
    > exertion (like climbing), you're going to get wet from the inside.

    > > Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or
    shell
    > > for winter riding (20-40 deg F) with good moisture management
    properties.

    > > I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof
    (
    > > supposedly brathable) wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    > >
    > > Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One
    Jacket,
    > > or maybe PolarTec Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want
    > > to share.

    I find that "windfront" clothes work really well -- ones with windproof fabric on the front, but
    breathable, plain fabric on the back. Down into the 20s F the problem is still not insulation per
    se, but keeping the wind off. Bellwether makes some nice windfront tights. Windfront jerseys are
    harder to find, but they do exist. Easier to find are vests with windbreaker material on the front
    and mesh on the back. One of these over a couple of jersey layers should be fine.

    Windstopper fleece is less sweaty than a windbreaker, but not as breathable as plain fleece. I have
    a great Patagonia vest that's windproof fleece on the front, and wicking jersey material on the
    back. It's neato for cycling. I think it's called a Flyer, or something like that.

    Matt O.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Aero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding
    > (20-40 deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    >
    > I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    > wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    >
    > Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One Jacket, or maybe PolarTec
    > Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want to share.

    I've given up on shells altogether because of the moisture problem. I use fleece. On really cold
    days 0-10 F, I'll wear a heavy jersey (PI Kodiak) with a fleece (Polartec) tunic top and a WindBloc
    (front) vest. For warmer temps, I'll still wear 3 layers like that, but lighter base layer and maybe
    a thin vest instead of fleece. I think skin tight 4-way stretch fleece is really the way to go
    (Polartec "Powerstretch"). I have a pair of tights and a pullover vest made from it, my next
    purchase will be a LS jersey.

  5. On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:53:37 -0500, Aero wrote:

    > Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding
    > (20-40 deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    >
    > I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    > wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.

    As a Christmas prsent, my wife got me tights and a jacket with wind-proof fronts, but breathable
    backs. They are very nice down to about 25 degrees, below which you need another layer, and since
    the whole back part breathes, you do not get soaked.

    Sort of the modern technology equivalent of the old trick of stuffing newspapers inside the front
    sides of your tights and jacket.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

  6. Alan Fishman

    Alan Fishman Guest

    I have two suggestions for you. I have used a Burley Rapid Rider for the last 2 years. It is the
    most vented jacket I have ever used. See at:
    http://www.burley.com/products/raingear/default.aspx?p=Rapid+Rider+Jacket&i= 2 This was a featured
    jacket in this month's Bicycling. This may be the curse of death.

    A second idea is a new jacket from Pearl Izumi called the Crescedo jacket. Pearl is using the new
    fabric called eVent which claims to be a vast improvement over GoreTex etc. See link at:
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi/catalog/product.asp?iProductTypeID=1&iP
    roductTypeSubID=18&iProductID=2013&iProductColorsTB=3735 My lbs is raving about the fabric so I
    tried a pair of the gloves with the eVent fabric and I am quite impressed though I have only worn
    them once. Read more about eVent at http://www.eventfabrics.com . The reading is interesting. The
    fabric keeps you dry as opposed to other fabrics (GoreTex) that don't work unless they are wet. I am
    inclined to give the jacket a try.

    Good luck.

    Alan

    "Aero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding
    > (20-40 deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    >
    > I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    > wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    >
    > Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One
    Jacket,
    > or maybe PolarTec Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want
    > to share.
    >
    > Thanks

  7. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Aero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding
    > > (20-40 deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    > >
    > > I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    > > wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    > >
    > > Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One Jacket, or maybe PolarTec
    > > Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want to share.
    >
    > I've given up on shells altogether because of the moisture problem.

    Ditto, except if it's raining.

    I have found nothing that beats wool for warmth and staying dry. I wear a thin wool long sleeve T, a
    ong sleeve wool jersey and a ragg wool sweater over that from 32 deg F up to about 45F or so. Short
    sleeve wool jersey instead of long sleeve when the temp's over 45F and over 50F the L/S thin wool T
    and L/S jersey. Cozy warm and dry for hours.

  8. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:53:37 -0500, "Aero" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding (20-40
    >deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    >
    >I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    >wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    >
    >Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One Jacket, or maybe PolarTec
    >Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want to share.

    I don't much believe in Goretex, myself. Especially while cycling, but also while hiking, I can
    sweat more than the fancy fabrics can transpire. So use convection instead of diffusion. Look for a
    cycling-specific jacket with zipper vents under the arms and zipper front. (Performance has one
    that's pretty good for half the price of Goretex.) Use the zippers to increase the air flow and
    keep you dry and a bit on the cool side. It can be a hassle, zipping up before going down a hill
    and unzipping before going up, but you can prolong the ride this way. The armpit vent design helps
    with the cooling and drying flow, and this design feature is more important than the fabric.

    Pat

  9. Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:53:37 -0500, "Aero" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any reccommendations as to a good cycling jacket or shell for winter riding
    > >(20-40 deg F) with good moisture management properties.
    > >
    > >I use a DriFit base layer with a Merino wool insulator and a Climaproof ( supposedly brathable)
    > >wind shell. After 10-15 miles I am soaked on the inside in 30 deg weather.
    > >
    > >Whats the deal with Gore Windstopper shells or possibly the REI One Jacket, or maybe PolarTec
    > >Fleece. Anybody have any experience with any of these jackets they would want to share.
    >
    > I don't much believe in Goretex, myself. Especially while cycling, but also while hiking, I can
    > sweat more than the fancy fabrics can transpire. So use convection instead of diffusion. Look for
    > a cycling-specific jacket with zipper vents under the arms and zipper front. (Performance has one
    > that's pretty good for half the price of Goretex.) Use the zippers to increase the air flow and
    > keep you dry and a bit on the cool side. It can be a hassle, zipping up before going down a hill
    > and unzipping before going up, but you can prolong the ride this way. The armpit vent design
    > helps with the cooling and drying flow, and this design feature is more important than the
    > fabric.
    >
    > Pat

    If money is not an object, the best performing clothing bar none that I've seen in Assos. Notice I
    said, if money is not an object. The Airblock jacket is sweet. Keeps me warm well into the 20's, and
    breathes like a bull in heat. It's cut and fit perfectly for cycling. Being from Switzerland, they
    know what they're doing. I only wear arm warmers and a jersey underneath it, and I'm all good.

    Tom

  10. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Try Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada. You can buy online at www.mec.ca

    I personally use the Super Microft Cycling Jacket. It's awesome. But, if you want to spend money,
    check out the MEC Bernoulli Jacket. It's Gore-Tex, and a commuter I know uses just that and a
    jersey, even when it's -25°C.

    Cheers,

    Peter

    --
    "We are free to be free." Nelson Mandela

    "Politics is much too important a matter to be left to the politicians." Charles de Gaulle

  11. Bftsplx

    Bftsplx Guest

    I second the endorsement of the Super Microft Cycling Jacket. Relatively inexpensive (especially in
    US$) and more than adequate for most conditions (save downpours).

    news:[email protected]...