Winter mileage brag posts here...

jj

Guest
OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
props...

From October first until today is approximately 190 days.

Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got over a
plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine too.

Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the flats.

Only missed 8-9 days riding, or 180 of 190 days on the bike, though I'm
cheating because I'm including about 4-5 days forced to ride indoors on the
stationary bike.

Lost 10 more lbs, and am down to about 219lbs.

When the tights came off the wife and daughter were whistling at me(*).
Worth all the blood sweat and tears right there.

jj
(*)(yeah, they probably were secretly mocking me but I'll take what I can
get)

Nothing to boast about mileage wise - I just get on the bike & ride it. I
have however, done well in another area. Mid-December I was verging on being
morbidly obese. As of today I am no longer thus. I am no longer even obese.
Now I am purely & simply merely overweight! Onwards & downwards!

Cheers, helen s

jj wrote:
> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
> props...

Something like 600-650 miles from Jan. 1 to the present. I didn't keep
records but averaged more than that in the late fall, as I made more
time for biking preparing for a century in early December. In Jan. I
started swimming--I'm training for a triathlon in mid May by swimming
with a masters group twice a week (and often one more swim a week on my
own) and running 2 miles three times a week. I'm generally biking two
to three times a week--it is harder to make the time for it weekday
afternoons when I know I've already run or swum.

I've lost 60 lbs in a year and a half.

Pam

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:00:59 -0400, pam_in_sc <[email protected]>
wrote:

>jj wrote:
>> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
>> props...

>Something like 600-650 miles from Jan. 1 to the present. I didn't keep
>records but averaged more than that in the late fall, as I made more
>time for biking preparing for a century in early December. In Jan. I
>started swimming--I'm training for a triathlon in mid May by swimming
>with a masters group twice a week (and often one more swim a week on my
>own) and running 2 miles three times a week. I'm generally biking two
>to three times a week--it is harder to make the time for it weekday
>afternoons when I know I've already run or swum.
>
>I've lost 60 lbs in a year and a half.
>
>Pam

Xena!! Wassup'?

Festina again in the Fall?

jj

jj wrote:
> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
> props...
>
> From October first until today is approximately 190 days.
>
> Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got over a
> plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine too.
>
> Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the flats.
>
> Only missed 8-9 days riding, or 180 of 190 days on the bike, though I'm
> cheating because I'm including about 4-5 days forced to ride indoors on the
> stationary bike.
>
> Lost 10 more lbs, and am down to about 219lbs.
>
> When the tights came off the wife and daughter were whistling at me(*).
> Worth all the blood sweat and tears right there.
>
> jj
> (*)(yeah, they probably were secretly mocking me but I'll take what I can
> get)

OK here are the winter highlights:
I bought a real road bike in January.
Sadly with a thing called winter by the end of Feb I had about 100 miles
in it.
Then in March I got some tights from cold lizard and the sun came up
before 6:30. As the french rode towards the sun my morning rides before
work where on. By the end of March my total was more than 400 miles.
With April brought the time change. Morning rides are out for a couple
of weeks. I have been trying to squeeze a ride in in the evening.
Yesterday I actually went on a group ride with 3 friends. Riding with
people is way different than solo. I will try to do it more often. As
of this evening over 500 miles on the bike.
Even with all the biking I have done in the past weeks my weight has
even gone up 2-3 pounds. It must be muscle :)
I am hoping this spring and summer will be even more productive!!!!

Mike

"jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
> props...
>
> From October first until today is approximately 190 days.
>
> Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got over a
> plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine too.
>
> Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the flats.

From Oct 1, through the end of March, 1,419 total miles, mostly on mountain
bikes or paved trails.

"di" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph

on the flats.

> From Oct 1, through the end of March, 1,419 total miles,

mostly on mountain
> bikes or paved trails.

Oct 1 - Feb 28, 1646. Too lazy to walk out to the shed and
check March mileage.

"jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
> props...
>
> From October first until today is approximately 190 days.
>
> Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got over a
> plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine too.
>
> Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the flats.
>
> Only missed 8-9 days riding, or 180 of 190 days on the bike, though I'm
> cheating because I'm including about 4-5 days forced to ride indoors on
> the
> stationary bike.
>
> Lost 10 more lbs, and am down to about 219lbs.
>
> When the tights came off the wife and daughter were whistling at me(*).
> Worth all the blood sweat and tears right there.
>
> jj
> (*)(yeah, they probably were secretly mocking me but I'll take what I can
> get)

OK ... I'll play.

I had 5,600.6 miles from Oct. 1, 2004 through March 31, 2005. I was sick
and off the bike for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving and for several more days
in late Januray. Were it not for that, I'd be up around 6,500.

I did a club ride last night and rode with our local Cat. 2 racing legend
(current state champ in his age group). I have more training miles this
year than he does. But he's 17 and I'm 49. He can do a lot more on a lot
less training.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Due to darkness outside my productive work hours, plus one or two
weekend snow storms, I kept to my trainer for much of Jan/Feb. Didn't
get a new battery for my cyclocomputer until sometime in Feb. Since
then my time has been about 70/30 outdoors/indoors and just yesterday I
ticked over 500 miles on the computer.

More important, I've dropped ~15 pounds since December (total of 40
lbs. over the past 5 years), so my BMI is finally down around 21 for
the first time since high school. Blood pressure has slipped down to
~110/70 and resting pulse to around 45. These are all exceptionally
good numbers for me. Tomorrow I get a fasting blood draw so I can see
what my lipid profile looks like.

Overall I can't believe how good it feels - I'm fairly bursting with
energy these days. Plus, less weight means less stress on my joints
and far fewer of those subtle pains we all associate with growing
older. Not trying to brag here (well, maybe a little) but just saying:
it was well worth counting calories for a few months.

So for those others of you celebrating your own health-related
victories, I say "Well done and keep it up." It just keeps getting
better...!

-JR

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:38:55 -0400, "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had 5,600.6 miles from Oct. 1, 2004 through March 31, 2005. I was sick
>and off the bike for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving and for several more days
>in late Januray. Were it not for that, I'd be up around 6,500.
>
>I did a club ride last night and rode with our local Cat. 2 racing legend
>(current state champ in his age group). I have more training miles this
>year than he does. But he's 17 and I'm 49. He can do a lot more on a lot
>less training.
>
>--
>Bob C.

Great job. I knew we had some higher mileage posters. I'd normally have had
around 2500miles because my standard rides last year were mostly on the
flats and at an average speed of 15 mph. This winter I kicked up the speed
and reduced the miles and rode more hill repeats. It's been about 3x more
uh, strenuous than anything I could muster last year. Next week I start in
on two a days.

I wonder what a certain Mountain Goat is getting - haven't seen him around
here. I figure he's probably got about 50 vertical miles in already. Paging
Terry Morse, Mr Morse please sign-in to the courtesy desk at the top of Mt
Everest...

What are your times for a typical flat Saturday Morning century these days?
You getting under 5 hours?

jj

No huge amount of miles for me. Since getting my bikes the last weekend
in Oct. I am closing in on 600 miles since getting the bikes. Nice
byproduct has been losing 20 lbs. so far, and hopefully more as time
goes by.

jj wrote:
> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
> props...
>
> From October first until today is approximately 190 days.
>
> Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got over a
> plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine too.
>
> Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the flats.
>
> Only missed 8-9 days riding, or 180 of 190 days on the bike, though I'm
> cheating because I'm including about 4-5 days forced to ride indoors on the
> stationary bike.
>
> Lost 10 more lbs, and am down to about 219lbs.
>
> When the tights came off the wife and daughter were whistling at me(*).
> Worth all the blood sweat and tears right there.
>
> jj
> (*)(yeah, they probably were secretly mocking me but I'll take what I can
> get)

Non-brag here. I did go out for some half centuries and a lot of 20 mile
rides but the layering of clothing kept up the frustration factor.
Leaving the house freezing then after about 3 miles of hard pedaling
sweating like crazy messes up the long rides. Close to the house you can
come back and drop the excess clothes but hope that you don't get 20
miles out and break the bike or hit a thermal drop and rain. That has
put me into near hypothermia a few times when I got too brave.

Hurry up summer. It is easier to carry a bunch of water bottles than to
shed clothes while riding. I am going the total phred routine this
summer and plan to use car heater hose clamps to mount some water
bottles on my front forks and maybe a few more spots. If I can carry a
gallon on a 90F day I will be happy, not too aero, but set for a long ride.

Personally I gained 20 pounds this winter and can't wait for the good
riding weather to lose about 25.
My 2 cents.
Bill Baka

bbaka wrote:
> jj wrote:
> > OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats

and
> > props...
> >
> > From October first until today is approximately 190 days.
> >
> > Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got

over a
> > plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine

too.

> > Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the

flats.

> > Only missed 8-9 days riding, or 180 of 190 days on the bike, though

I'm
> > cheating because I'm including about 4-5 days forced to ride

indoors on the
> > stationary bike.
> >
> > Lost 10 more lbs, and am down to about 219lbs.
> >
> > When the tights came off the wife and daughter were whistling at

me(*).
> > Worth all the blood sweat and tears right there.
> >
> > jj
> > (*)(yeah, they probably were secretly mocking me but I'll take what

I can
> > get)
> >

> Non-brag here. I did go out for some half centuries and a lot of 20

mile
> rides but the layering of clothing kept up the frustration factor.
> Leaving the house freezing then after about 3 miles of hard pedaling
> sweating like crazy messes up the long rides. Close to the house you

can
> come back and drop the excess clothes but hope that you don't get 20
> miles out and break the bike or hit a thermal drop and rain. That has

> put me into near hypothermia a few times when I got too brave.
>
> Hurry up summer. It is easier to carry a bunch of water bottles than

> shed clothes while riding. I am going the total phred routine this
> summer and plan to use car heater hose clamps to mount some water
> bottles on my front forks and maybe a few more spots. If I can carry

> gallon on a 90F day I will be happy, not too aero, but set for a long

ride.

> Personally I gained 20 pounds this winter and can't wait for the good

> riding weather to lose about 25.
> My 2 cents.
> Bill Baka

Well, some of your problems with clothes and weather have to do with
your often repeated view that you don't need performance oriented
clothes. There are plenty of good options for riding through the
winter--but jeans, etc are not on the list.

For carrying water, a decent Camelback + 2 large water bottles will get
you close to your gallon and be a lot easier to deal with.

As to gaining 20 lbs in a few short months. You must not have been
riding as hard on all those 20 milers as you thought.

gds wrote:
> bbaka wrote:
>
>>jj wrote:
>>
>>>OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats

> and
>
>>>props...
>>>
>>>From October first until today is approximately 190 days.
>>>
>>>Post weekly, or total or monthly. If you did a cool ride or got

> over a
>
>>>plateau or lost weight or put an inch on your quads, that's fine

> too.
>
>>>Me, 1670 miles, lots of hills, lots of speed. Broke 30mph on the

> flats.
>
>>>Only missed 8-9 days riding, or 180 of 190 days on the bike, though

> I'm
>
>>>cheating because I'm including about 4-5 days forced to ride

> indoors on the
>
>>>stationary bike.
>>>
>>>Lost 10 more lbs, and am down to about 219lbs.
>>>
>>>When the tights came off the wife and daughter were whistling at

> me(*).
>
>>>Worth all the blood sweat and tears right there.
>>>
>>>jj
>>>(*)(yeah, they probably were secretly mocking me but I'll take what

> I can
>
>>>get)
>>>

>>Non-brag here. I did go out for some half centuries and a lot of 20

> mile
>
>>rides but the layering of clothing kept up the frustration factor.
>>Leaving the house freezing then after about 3 miles of hard pedaling
>>sweating like crazy messes up the long rides. Close to the house you

> can
>
>>come back and drop the excess clothes but hope that you don't get 20
>>miles out and break the bike or hit a thermal drop and rain. That has

>>put me into near hypothermia a few times when I got too brave.
>>
>>Hurry up summer. It is easier to carry a bunch of water bottles than

>>shed clothes while riding. I am going the total phred routine this
>>summer and plan to use car heater hose clamps to mount some water
>>bottles on my front forks and maybe a few more spots. If I can carry

>>gallon on a 90F day I will be happy, not too aero, but set for a long

> ride.
>
>>Personally I gained 20 pounds this winter and can't wait for the good

>>riding weather to lose about 25.
>>My 2 cents.
>>Bill Baka

> Well, some of your problems with clothes and weather have to do with
> your often repeated view that you don't need performance oriented
> clothes. There are plenty of good options for riding through the
> winter--but jeans, etc are not on the list.
>
> For carrying water, a decent Camelback + 2 large water bottles will get
> you close to your gallon and be a lot easier to deal with.
>
> As to gaining 20 lbs in a few short months. You must not have been
> riding as hard on all those 20 milers as you thought.

There were less 20 milers due to a number of factors, all cold related.
Cold wind makes my eyes water to the point of not being able to see so I
can't ride fast enough to get a good calorie burning workout. Clothing,
jeans at least, were not the problem since I did 50+ miles last week
with jeans on and carried a back pack to put my shirt layers into as I
peeled down to the comfort zone. I also have a problem with my wife and
all my friends thinking I am too skinny and feeding me every time I go
to see them. When it gets to where I don't have to start out in 40F
something weather I can carry more food and water and go back up to the
near daily 50 to 80 mile rides with the occasional unplanned Century.
This is a seasonal thing for me so soon the pounds come off again.
Health wise it is a toss up, but I can still run, not jog, for about 2
full blocks without getting totally winded, and could not do that a few
years back. The Cardio/lung capacity does not seem to diminish, the
weight just fluctuates.
Bill Baka

"Neil Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:01:29 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

> PS, after my ride my wife expects (meaning I will do this) that I will
> go out with her later for some shopping and a meal. She even expects
> this after my centuries. Luckily for me she gives me a break on the
> double. :)

I hear ya on that. Often the hardest part of my weekend centuries is what I
have in store when I return home. But then, I live on a farm. That means
constant chores.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

In article <[email protected]>,
jj <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, it's time for everyone to post their winter mileage and stats and
> props...

My stat sheet is at work, but I cycle commuted 16.5 total/day pretty
much every day, all weather, all temp since then, minus time off and an
extended interruption for a family emergency thing.

call it maybe 1200 miles, maybe 1500. subject to me looking it up later.

Winter Biking Product Testimonial:
My $$$ Nokkian Extreme 294 studded tires worked wonders -- no unplanned
dismounts all winter, compared to all of my commuting pals (4) who
suffered 3~5 falls each. BUY THEM THEY ROCK.

..max

--
<blink>

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 07:58:16 -0400, psycholist wrote:
> "Neil Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:01:29 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

>> PS, after my ride my wife expects (meaning I will do this) that I will
>> go out with her later for some shopping and a meal. She even expects
>> this after my centuries. Luckily for me she gives me a break on the
>> double. :)

> I hear ya on that. Often the hardest part of my weekend centuries is what I
> have in store when I return home. But then, I live on a farm. That means
> constant chores.

You got me beat by a long shot! I mean I have plenty of work around
the house to do but no where near the amount you have on a farm. I'd
still try to ride and I'd do the work but it would take a while to
build up the strength to keep that up all season long.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

I have only have a measly 600 miles during the winter that I can document
with the GPS logs. Been using Garmin's Forerunner 201. They have a log
that you can download and then track your progress. I have combination of
Mountain and road, but most of it was mountain miles.

Now that the rains are starting to let up, I hope to log more miles, and I
need them, cause the first 3 weekends in May I have centuries each weekend.
news:[email protected]...

firewolf65 wrote:
> I have only have a measly 600 miles during the winter that I can document
> with the GPS logs. Been using Garmin's Forerunner 201. They have a log
> that you can download and then track your progress. I have combination of
> Mountain and road, but most of it was mountain miles.
>
> Now that the rains are starting to let up, I hope to log more miles, and I
> need them, cause the first 3 weekends in May I have centuries each weekend.
> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Neil Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:01:29 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

>>>PS, after my ride my wife expects (meaning I will do this) that I will
>>>go out with her later for some shopping and a meal. She even expects
>>>this after my centuries. Luckily for me she gives me a break on the
>>>double. :)

>>I hear ya on that. Often the hardest part of my weekend centuries is what
>>I have in store when I return home. But then, I live on a farm. That
>>means constant chores.
>>
>>--
>>Bob C.
>>
>>"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
>>T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Why not just fast after the Centuries and let your body metabolize fat
and lose any hint of a spare tire (if you even have one). I always come
in hungry and drink a lot of water then relax until bedtime with no
actual calorie intake and I lose weight fastest that way when I am
trying to. I seem to sleep better too. Food at bedtime seems to go into
fat unless you know you are going to be doing something like the TdF the
next day.
My totally unscientific take on it.
Bill Baka

6 months, 3500 miles.
doesn;t really get too cold to ride in atlanta.
though 19F was my coldest morning.
would have probably been good down to 5 or 10.

wle.