winter training plan

Killian Donoher

Nov 5, 2012
hey guys
im at cycling about 4 months now im after getting very strong as i have over 1500 miles put in so far, i do a bit of cross training but i am just confused about how to go about making a winter training plan for the gym and for the road. could i see some examples cheers

A) here's just a quick general overview of how you can deconstruct your yearly plan, Quick plan, so you get the big picture: 1) 3 months winter training, ride less mileage and intensity, using a trainer at home when weather is too bad, typically pick up the bike 3 to 4 days a week, and compensate with strengh training at the gym, other sports like swimming or maybe jogging, every four weeks or so make for an active recovery week (where you keep active doing like easy spins on the bike, easing out the gym, etc) 2) 3 months pre season training, cycling only (although you can maintain some of the gym-weight training for the upper body for the complete season), here is when you increase mileage again and start again your hill intervals, twice a week is ok, on the weekends look if you can join group rides with people who are better than you, is easier to work hard that way, you are forced to follow them and you become better by doing that. Again every four weeks or so make for an active recovery week (where you keep active doing like easy spins on the bike, and less mileage) 3) racing season, please mark your races over the calendar so your training calendar matches the start of the season, you should be in shape from april till october typically B) and here gym training examples for a cyclist, some gym training for cyclists, (by Armstrong) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ocs_w8bs-w&feature=related C) and a more technical thread that everyone seems to be talking about http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/314849/its-killing-me-but

I cycle outside if its a decent day and if not I go to the gym and get onthe bike or do a spin class.

When I lived in Switzerland, I went to work on my bike all year round. In winter I would get up at six in the morning, wrap myself into some really warm clothes and pedal the 40 minutes to my work place. I quickly got used to the challenging conditions of ice and snow slush on the roads. In the evenings I would ride back home in the dark, as the days are quite short between November and February. I always drove carefully and never slipped or fell off my bike. In fact, I actually enjoyed it very much to quietly "sail" through fresh snow while big snowflakes were landing on my face, obstructing my view. I guess I am a romantic at heart. :)

I am quite amused by this thread. I didn't know that cycling is such big deal in some countries as to have a winter training plan. What we have here is a summer training plan that would involve nutrition, hydration and, of course, muscle building. But that applies only to children, those grade schoolers enrolled in expensive schools. For adults, it is up to yourself or you are lucky if you have an organized group that would inspire you to train.

Layering, lighting and studded tires. 100% merino wool as a base layer and WINDPROOF as an outer shell. Lower gearing in general with fat, knobby, studded mtb tires. Ski goggles. They won't fog. Mittens w/3 components. Boots and gaiters.

Winter riding is GREAT. I've been a year around cyclist for 25+ years. Try YouTube for ideas. There's plenty of info all over the 'net.

Layering, lighting and studded tires. 100% merino wool as a base layer and WINDPROOF as an outer shell. Lower gearing in general with fat, knobby, studded mtb tires. Ski goggles. They won't fog. Mittens w/3 components. Boots and gaiters.

Winter riding is GREAT. I've been a year around cyclist for 25+ years. Try YouTube for ideas. There's plenty of info all over the 'net.

Corzhens said:
I am quite amused by this thread. I didn't know that cycling is such big deal in some countries as to have a winter training plan. What we have here is a summer training plan that would involve nutrition, hydration and, of course, muscle building. But that applies only to children, those grade schoolers enrolled in expensive schools. For adults, it is up to yourself or you are lucky if you have an organized group that would inspire you to train.
Believe me, it happens more often than you think. Some countries are devoted purely to biking. (Netherlands)

If the winters were you live are anything like the winters where I grew up, Michigan, I think you might want to stay in the gym. However, this is where I want to be in the summer months and in the winter months be out in the streets. The winter months in South Carolina are for the most part like the summer months in Michigan and not so unbearable where I am going to have heat stroke.

Where I live (Canada) there is absolutely no chance of going out cycling in the winter time! It is cold, snowy, and storming about half the time. Even if I went out biking I'd have to be bundled up tightly and movement would be severely restricted with so many layers on! Come winter this year, I think I'm just going to switch to cycling on my stationary bike until spring comes again.

If you do choose to go out biking in the winter time, if it is cold where you live make sure you are WARM. Better some restriction in movement than to get sick from exercising in the cold. I especially recommend wearing gloves, because handle bars can get cold around that time of year and freeze your fingers. Be safe and overall don't take any unnecessary risks for the sake of cycling!

I am not sure why you particularly need a "winter training plan", as surely it can be the same as your summer training plan! You can cycle outdoors if the weather is good enough, and in the gym if it is not. This is how I always deal with my exercise planning, anyway, and it generally works for me. I don't mind cycling outside when it is cold or dark, but I won't go outside if it is icy, as I feel that it is just too dangerous to even consider. You could easily slip under the wheels of a car if you cycle in the ice, so you should avoid that. However, there are probably relatively few days out of any year in my country where I am not able to cycle outside, so that is always good for me.

I think that you should spend more time on the gym than being on the road. I am usually allergic to cold weather which makes me sneeze all day. For me I will not go out riding. I am planning to exercise while am at home. I will spend a lot of time in the gym.