wireless intetnet while bicycling around australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midex

I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle. I imagine I can charge my laptop with a
dynamo but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
solution. Thanks.

Midex <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle.

You should be run over and squashed flat.

Service to the travelling public.

> I imagine I can charge my laptop with a dynamo

Easier with a solar panel.

> but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
> solution.

CDMA mobile.

Originally posted by Rod Speed
Midex <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle.

You should be run over and squashed flat.

Service to the travelling public.

> I imagine I can charge my laptop with a dynamo

Easier with a solar panel.

> but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
> solution.

CDMA mobile.

Hi Midex,
Your best be is to rely on wind power. Buy one of those little propeller hats and rig your daynamo up to that. You'll have power wherever you go. You should buy one of the extra wide handle bar systems we have here in Aus. It enables you to clip your portable to the bike and use the keyboard while riding.
(Why does the Good Lord feel it necessary to give such people the ability to draw breath?)
PS What part of the USA are you from Midex?

"Rod Speed" wrote

> CDMA mobile.

As long as your not more than 20 km from a town with a mast.

Theo

Midex wrote:
>
> I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle. I imagine I can charge my laptop with a
> dynamo but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
> solution. Thanks.

Dream on.

First of, please cruise throught this http://www.woa.com.au/terryc/remote-power/remote-power.html

It is not directly relevant, but it will educate you about remote power needs and methods without
asking us a whole pile of questions.

Then, when you have read that, come back with the basic figures, and we can go from there.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,
Publishing>

"People without trees are like fish without clean water"

Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy? Keep it up if you want to make Aussies look like a
bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.

Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar panels,
the whole nine yards, so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to suggest.

If nobody tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves listening to Triple M.

&roo

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy?

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, child.

> Keep it up if you want to make Aussies look like a bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.

> Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar
> panels, the whole nine yards,

Should have been run over and squashed flat too.

> so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to suggest.

> If nobody tried anything new,

Riding bikes was around a lot earlier than other

> we'd still be living in caves listening to Triple M.

> &roo

Andrew Swan wrote:
>
> Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy? Keep it up if you want to make Aussies look like a
> bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.

Something about a sign I've seen on a farm gate "the lord helps those who help themselves"

So he could have done this by doing a little bit of research about powering his laptop from a
bicycle dynamo, or from a solar panel, or .... then started asking the questions.

People respond better to people who have shown some thought behind their questions.

> Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar
> panels, the whole nine yards, so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to
> suggest.

Yes, but he designed it from the ground up and he did his own research. He was also a working
journalist who didn't want fancy gui's and didn't expect to plug into the internet in the
outback. He didn't come here with a breezeway between the ears wanting someone else to tell him
how he did it.

--
Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,
Publishing>

"People without trees are like fish without clean water"

Midex wrote:
> I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle. I imagine I can charge my laptop with a
> dynamo but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
> solution. Thanks.

Maybe something like this portable getup could be adapted.
http://www.foggys-funnies.com/o/exercise/index.shtml

"Midex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle. I imagine I can charge my laptop with a
: dynamo but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
: solution. Thanks.

Wireless HotSpots. There are plenty of them around the country, however they *tend* to be much more
honed in on either yuppy or business oriented areas. You can just log on on the spot and pay by
credit card to get full access or some venues might be able to sell you a pre-paid time thingy. You
can find out more here: http://www.80211hotspots.com/ or you can probably visit one of the providers
URL's where they might have a list of all their access points around the place.

"-=[VampiressX]=-" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:
: "Midex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: news:[email protected]...
: : I want to take off and discover australia on bicycle. I imagine I can charge my laptop with a
: : dynamo but I'm going to miss being broadband or anyband to the internet. Could someone suggest a
: : solution. Thanks.
:
: Wireless HotSpots. There are plenty of them around the country, however
they
: *tend* to be much more honed in on either yuppy or business oriented
areas.
: You can just log on on the spot and pay by credit card to get full access
or
: some venues might be able to sell you a pre-paid time thingy. You can find out more here:
: http://www.80211hotspots.com/ or you can probably visit one of the providers URL's where they
: might have a list of all their access points around the place.
:
:

Forgot to add that there is always GPRS if you have a phone that has that facility. I know a guy
that drove from Sydney to Melbourne with his laptop hooked up to the phone via GPRS all the way
without a single dropout. Mind you, I wouldn't expect to find that level of coverage anywhere else.
There is always GSM as well. It's slow but at least it will get you email.

My intention is to use something like a Sharp Zauras, running GNU/Linux, and UUCP.

Zauras: <http://www.myzaurus.com/> a PDA that approuches what I'd want.. (that is, just as about as
good as a desktop.) Easily hidden and secured. Has the ports necessary for my digital camera and
modem. I'll be able to get by with an off-the-shelf $50 solar recharger. There is wireless
available, but that's just a pointless accessory to me.

Linux: hacking GNU is as much a game to me as anything else.. I'll also be able to bring my visual
astronomy programs along, and well as write new software. (The most coding-productive time of my
life was when I was stuck in Charleville for 4 weeks, with only a 386SX/25 Linux laptop w/ 2M of RAM
for company..)

UUCP: _efficient_ dialup email, where the cost of 3 months long distance email access costs less
than half the price of a mobile phone (and probably a 1/10th of that needed get access to
Australia's shitty wireless networks). Just make sure it's an email address that the spammers don't
know about..

--
Chris,,

**** you can be substantially further from a phone tower. I have had access to internet at 65k's
from a phone tower on CDMA

--

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Rod Speed" wrote
>
> > CDMA mobile.
>
> As long as your not more than 20 km from a town with a mast.
>
> Theo

Speed you are the original screwed ****** of Australia and a bloody disgrace to the race.

Speed pity they do not treat you like a crook dog, take it out into the paddock and put it out of
its misery.

Speed are you still bludging on the taxpayers of Australia?

--

"Rod Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Wow, why is everyone being so hard on the guy?
>
> Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, child.
>
> > Keep it up if you want to make Aussies look like a bunch of unhelpful, ****-taking wankers.
>

>
> > Anyway, I've read about some guy who cycle tours with an Internet connection, laptop, solar
> > panels, the whole nine yards,
>
> Should have been run over and squashed flat too.
>
> > so it's not as stupid a concept as some of you are trying to suggest.
>

>
> > If nobody tried anything new,
>
> Riding bikes was around a lot earlier than other

>
> > we'd still be living in caves listening to Triple M.
>

>
> > &roo

"Paul" wrote
> **** you can be substantially further from a phone tower. I have had access to internet at 65k's
> from a phone tower on CDMA

Thank you for your expert knowledge Paul.

I am merely working from my own limited personal experience with CDMA phones. I live 55 kms as the
crow flies from the Perth CBD. I have a CDMA tower within 25 kms of me at Bindoon, another 45 kms
away at Toodyay, as well as one at Muchea a mere 8 kms away (but I think that's a digital tower). It
was only two weeks ago yesterday that my phone started working and that's because I can actually
physically see the new local tower from my front veranda.

Telstra suggest that it should work in a 20 km radius.

Cheers

Theo

Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Paul wrote
>> Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>>> CDMA mobile.

>>> As long as your not more than 20 km from a town with a mast.

Thats completely silly.

>> **** you can be substantially further from a phone tower. I have had access to internet at 65k's
>> from a phone tower on CDMA

> Thank you for your expert knowledge Paul.

> I am merely working from my own limited personal experience with CDMA phones. I live 55 kms as the
> crow flies from the Perth CBD. I have a CDMA tower within 25 kms of me at Bindoon, another 45 kms
> away at Toodyay, as well as one at Muchea a mere 8 kms away (but I think that's a digital tower).
> It was only two weeks ago yesterday that my phone started working and that's because I can
> actually physically see the new local tower from my front veranda.

Must have a dud handset.

> Telstra suggest that it should work in a 20 km radius.

It works a hell of lot further out than that. Specially with a decent antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.