wrist saver

duh

Guest
First off, I have nothing to do with this company or the advertiser. I
just put these on my bike after getting yet another bout of wrist pain
from riding my bike. When I rest on my handlebars while riding, my
wrist collapses, and then I get a carpal tunnel like thing going on. I
usually have to wait months for it to subside.

I was at a store looking for a handlebar that would give me more hand
positions when I was shown these:

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/ergon_grips.shtml

I had been thinking about how I could invent something along the same
lines, but here they were. Just rode for the first time this morning
and it seems to be helping. Neither wrist collapsed. They were both
straight.

However, I like a LOT more padding on my grips, more than any company
out there puts on their grips. I've taken grey pipe insulation, the
tube kind, and put it on other grips before.

So, I'll either make me a glove with lots of padding in the lower palm,
or sew a cover for the grips which incorporates more padding.

Anyway, perhaps its too soon to tell if these are the ultimate answer,
but it sure is a start. Joe Bob says check it out.

duh wrote:
> First off, I have nothing to do with this company or the advertiser. I
> just put these on my bike after getting yet another bout of wrist pain
> from riding my bike. When I rest on my handlebars while riding, my
> wrist collapses, and then I get a carpal tunnel like thing going on. I
> usually have to wait months for it to subside.
>
> I was at a store looking for a handlebar that would give me more hand
> positions when I was shown these:
>
> http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/ergon_grips.shtml
>
> I had been thinking about how I could invent something along the same
> lines, but here they were. Just rode for the first time this morning
> and it seems to be helping. Neither wrist collapsed. They were both
> straight.
>
> However, I like a LOT more padding on my grips, more than any company
> out there puts on their grips. I've taken grey pipe insulation, the
> tube kind, and put it on other grips before.
>
> So, I'll either make me a glove with lots of padding in the lower palm,
> or sew a cover for the grips which incorporates more padding.
>
> Anyway, perhaps its too soon to tell if these are the ultimate answer,
> but it sure is a start. Joe Bob says check it out.

One answer is get your weight off your wrists. Raise your handle bars,
drop your seat, get a frame that fits. I use to get massive pain in my
wrists and numb hands in the morning until some one pointed out that
your legs and backside should be supporting your weight and your hands
should be left to control your bike.

Also look at the angle your wrist connects to your handle bars and the
position of your brake levers. You arms should be as straight as
possible from elbow to wrist to finger tips when they're resting on the
brake levers.

Laters,

Marz

Marz wrote:

> One answer is get your weight off your wrists. Raise your handle bars,

I did raise the bars. Can't drop the seat because then my knees will
take the brunt due to the leg angle. I need to look at my frame.

> drop your seat, get a frame that fits. I use to get massive pain in my
> wrists and numb hands in the morning until some one pointed out that
> your legs and backside should be supporting your weight and your hands
> should be left to control your bike.
>
> Also look at the angle your wrist connects to your handle bars and the
> position of your brake levers. You arms should be as straight as
> possible from elbow to wrist to finger tips when they're resting on the
> brake levers.

When I put riser bars on the bike, I could no longer put the brake
levers down far enough to pull my arm straight. With these grips, that
compensates for that.

I'll be looking at bike fit next. Thanks for the input.