MA: wrist pain

Monique Y. Mudama

Guest
This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)

I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
Also, has anyone had something similar?

Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain in
the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the palm;
no weight required.

For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
away.

Thoughts?

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)
>
> I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
> Also, has anyone had something similar?
>
> Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
> it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain
> in the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
> pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
> hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the
> palm; no weight required.
>
> For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
> usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
> away.
>
> Thoughts?

my vote is to always go for massage therapy first. I have an amazing
practitioner who's really helped to deal with hand pain due to overuse from
my work, and some on-going residual in my back from two car accidents. I'm
always hesistant to go for some one who might want to cut me, or use me to
help with their boat payments. My chiropractor also adjusts all my joints,
not just my back, and I think that helps too.

I know you do computer work, have you had your work station checked for
ergonomics?

penny

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)
>
> I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
> Also, has anyone had something similar?
>
> Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
> it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain
> in the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
> pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
> hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the
> palm; no weight required.
>
> For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
> usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
> away.
>
> Thoughts?

Is the ortho as easy to see as the GP? (And not terribly more expensive?)
Get that sucker X-rayed; probably won't show anything, but got to rule out a
bone spur or similar.

My guess: time for a cortisone shot. (Sometimes they work wonders.)

Bill "expert at chronic pain; human pin cushion" S.

> Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
> it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain
> in the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
> pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
> hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the
> palm; no weight required.
>
> For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
> usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
> away.

I have the exact same problem with my wrist, except it's on my left hand.
It's sporadic, hurts just in front of my bone protrusion, and it hurts when
I twist my wrist.

No repetitive motions here... it worsens with twisting motions, such as
bunnyhopping or backhopping (trials).

I got it x-rayed, but the doofuses here at the campus medical clinic
wouldn't know a broken bone from a stray coke can in someone's stomach.
They said nothing was wrong and gave me a splint thing. It inhibited my
riding so I stopped using it after a week after seeing no improvement. It
took about 4 months for it to get progressively better until I learned a few
new tricks a few days ago.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On 2004-07-04, ZeeExSixAre penned:

> I have the exact same problem with my wrist, except it's on my left
> hand. It's sporadic, hurts just in front of my bone protrusion, and
> it hurts when I twist my wrist.
>
> No repetitive motions here... it worsens with twisting motions, such
> as bunnyhopping or backhopping (trials).
>
> I got it x-rayed, but the doofuses here at the campus medical clinic
> wouldn't know a broken bone from a stray coke can in someone's
> stomach. They said nothing was wrong and gave me a splint thing. It
> inhibited my riding so I stopped using it after a week after seeing no
> improvement. It took about 4 months for it to get progressively
> better until I learned a few new tricks a few days ago.

New tricks?

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-07-04, ZeeExSixAre penned:
>>
>> I have the exact same problem with my wrist, except it's on my left
>> hand. It's sporadic, hurts just in front of my bone protrusion, and
>> it hurts when I twist my wrist.
>>
>> No repetitive motions here... it worsens with twisting motions, such
>> as bunnyhopping or backhopping (trials).
>>
>> I got it x-rayed, but the doofuses here at the campus medical clinic
>> wouldn't know a broken bone from a stray coke can in someone's
>> stomach. They said nothing was wrong and gave me a splint thing. It
>> inhibited my riding so I stopped using it after a week after seeing
>> no improvement. It took about 4 months for it to get progressively
>> better until I learned a few new tricks a few days ago.

> New tricks?

Stuff like hopping up 3 or 4 stairs, riding backwards for a couple pedal
strokes, doing manuals... street and trials stuff.

Believe it or not, it's incredibly useful on the trail... trials is like
tricks at close to 0 mph and street is like tricks at speed. But both of
them help on the trail because you're clearing the same type of obstacle,
whether it be a slick root at the top of a hill, a 2-foot ledge without a
(kids, don't read this) tranny, or a multitude of other things.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training (oops)

On 2004-07-04, pas penned:

> my vote is to always go for massage therapy first. I have an amazing
> practitioner who's really helped to deal with hand pain due to overuse
> from my work, and some on-going residual in my back from two car
> accidents. I'm always hesistant to go for some one who might want to
> cut me, or use me to help with their boat payments. My chiropractor
> also adjusts all my joints, not just my back, and I think that helps
> too.

Massage therapy before doc? After insurance, the massage ends up being
much more expensive. I do have a massage therapist friend, though, who
could maybe help me out. I've been thinking it would be nice to get a
massage ... but oh, so expensive.

> I know you do computer work, have you had your work station checked
> for ergonomics?

No ... I've been messing with it. I get cramps around my left trap when
I sit at my work desk, but I have minimized that in various ways. I
honestly don't think it's the computer work -- the only wrist-related
problem I've had with that is solved by a wrist pad. It's definitely
not CTS, in any case.

It's always bothered me after doing exercise-related things, not
work-related things ...

--
monique

On 2004-07-04, S o r n i penned:

> Is the ortho as easy to see as the GP? (And not terribly more
> expensive?) Get that sucker X-rayed; probably won't show anything, but
> got to rule out a bone spur or similar.

Pretty much, yeah. It might take an extra week or two to see the ortho,
but I don't need a referral for insurance purposes.

> My guess: time for a cortisone shot. (Sometimes they work wonders.)

But a GP could do that just as well, right? Would they not do an x-ray?
Hrm.

> Bill "expert at chronic pain; human pin cushion" S.

=/ That's no fun. Although I do wonder if acupuncture, or maybe
acupressure, might not be an interesting exercise ...

--
monique

On 2004-07-04, ZeeExSixAre penned:
>>> It took about 4 months for it to get progressively better until I
>>> learned a few new tricks a few days ago.

>> New tricks?

> Stuff like hopping up 3 or 4 stairs, riding backwards for a couple
> pedal strokes, doing manuals... street and trials stuff.
>
> Believe it or not, it's incredibly useful on the trail... trials is
> like tricks at close to 0 mph and street is like tricks at speed. But
> both of them help on the trail because you're clearing the same type
> of obstacle, whether it be a slick root at the top of a hill, a 2-foot
> ledge without a (kids, don't read this) tranny, or a multitude of
> other things.

Ohhh. I thought you meant that you learned new tricks to minimize wrist
pain.

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-07-04, pas penned:
>>
>> my vote is to always go for massage therapy first. I have an amazing
>> practitioner who's really helped to deal with hand pain due to
>> overuse from my work, and some on-going residual in my back from two
>> car accidents. I'm always hesistant to go for some one who might
>> want to cut me, or use me to help with their boat payments. My
>> chiropractor also adjusts all my joints, not just my back, and I
>> think that helps too.

It's cheaper than surgery. You need to see your GP, then get a referral for
massage. Maybe I"m lucky, my copay for prescribed masssage is $10, and I
have no problem getting referrals as it's effective treatment for me. The
docs I work with are fairly wellness oriented as compared to boat payment
surgery oriented.

penny

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)
>
> I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
> Also, has anyone had something similar?
>
> Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
> it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain
> in the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
> pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
> hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the
> palm; no weight required.
>
> For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
> usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
> away.
>
> Thoughts?

I've had the same thing for years. Carpel (sp?) Tunnel Syndrome. I live
with it because the pain of the operation is worse according to the HR
Director in my office.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

S o r n i wrote:

> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
>>This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)
>>
>>I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
>>Also, has anyone had something similar?
>>
>>Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
>>it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain
>>in the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
>>pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
>>hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the
>>palm; no weight required.
>>
>>For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
>>usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
>>away.
>>
>>Thoughts?

> Is the ortho as easy to see as the GP? (And not terribly more expensive?)
> Get that sucker X-rayed; probably won't show anything, but got to rule out a
> bone spur or similar.
>
> My guess: time for a cortisone shot. (Sometimes they work wonders.)

With lidicane (sp?). Works in seconds on the pain, cortisone decreases
inflamation & helps healing that way. I've had a shot couple in my
elbow. Time and rest (which meant no road riding, the MTB was OK-Go
figure) were what mattered most.
If insurance doesn't require you to see a GP 1st, go straight to ortho.
At the same time you should pursue Penny's advice. No reason not to
pursue multiple therapies. Word of advice; if any one of them tells you
something like "Oh don't get massage, there just a bunch of hippies" or
"Don't see an MD, they'll warp your chi" drop 'em. A lot of health care
practitioners fall into the "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
the whole world looks like a nail." mold (except my wife :) ).
Also, if it hurts, don't do it!

Good Luck,
Shawn

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)
>
> I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
> Also, has anyone had something similar?
>
> Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what started
> it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a sharp pain in
> the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the same side as the
> pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and after all of the
> hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from turning up the palm;
> no weight required.
>
> For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
> usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never goes
> away.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> monique

See if you can find a physical therapist that treats sport injuries. Maybe
someone who's connected with a sport club.

I had a pain deep in my heel that wouldn't go away. No matter what kind of
stretching and stuff wouldn't help. I finally gave up and went to see this
therapist from this high end sport club that had a good reputation. He
spent 5 minutes poking me and asking where it hurts. He isolated the pain
and taught me this specific stretching exercise that actually stretched the
offending area. All my other mickey mouse stretching couldn't stretch it.
The pain was gone in couple weeks.

Icing pain is also good because it increases blood flow to the area.

OT: You also might want to find a physician who does sports as your regular
physician. Mine does triathlons. He use to see me come in all banged up.
A couple pointers he give me were come in right away if I have any open
wounds near any joints and any impacts in the torso area.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> This is a new tag: Medical advice ;-)
>>
>> I know, I should see a doctor; I guess my question is, GP or Ortho?
>> Also, has anyone had something similar?
>>
>> Here's what happens: for ... months now, and I don't know what
>> started it, lifting things palm-up with my right hand has caused a
>> sharp pain in the wrist, specifically the bone protrusion on the
>> same side as the pinky. It makes lifting a bike tricky at best, and
>> after all of the hike-a-bike yesterday, my wrist now hurts just from
>> turning up the palm; no weight required.
>>
>> For months (a year or more?) this has been an on and off problem; it
>> usually subsides enough that I hope it's healing up, but it never
>> goes away.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> I've had the same thing for years. Carpel (sp?) Tunnel Syndrome. I
> live with it because the pain of the operation is worse according to
> the HR Director in my office.

my massage therapist is able to reverse/correct CTS.

penny

Shawn Curry wrote:
you to see a GP 1st, go straight to
> ortho. At the same time you should pursue Penny's advice. No
> reason not to pursue multiple therapies. Word of advice; if any one
> of them tells you something like "Oh don't get massage, there just a
> bunch of hippies" or "Don't see an MD, they'll warp your chi" drop
> 'em. A lot of health care practitioners fall into the "When the only
> tool you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." mold
> (except my wife :) ). Also, if it hurts, don't do it!
>
> Good Luck,
> Shawn

heh, some massage folks are "aura fluffers" and some are real body workers
with healing talent. I love mine, she's built like a truck driver, listens
to Aerosmith on her days off, and has great big strong peasant hands that
know how to work.

penny

Penny says:

>as compared to boat payment
>surgery oriented.

Hey! Don't knock it. That's my customer base.. ;-)

Steve

Penny says:

>she's built like a truck driver, listens
>to Aerosmith on her days off, and has great big strong peasant hands that
>know how to work.

You sexist, elitist swine, you... ;-)

Steve

pas wrote:

> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>I've had the same thing for years. Carpel (sp?) Tunnel Syndrome. I
>>live with it because the pain of the operation is worse according to
>>the HR Director in my office.

> my massage therapist is able to reverse/correct CTS.
>
> penny

Does she make you cry?

--
Slacker

> heh, some massage folks are "aura fluffers"

I *hate* those types

> and some are real body workers with healing talent. I love mine, she's built like a truck driver, listens
> to Aerosmith on her days off, and has great big strong peasant hands that
> know how to work.
>
> penny

We just hired a new lady at my work. I'm helping to train her. She was
standing behind me and starting massaging my neck/upper back. I thought
it was a little weird of her since we just met, but it felt way too good
to tell her to stop. When she did stop, I told her that she should be
doing massages for a living. She then whipped out a business card,
"Certified Massage Therapist." "Damn, you're like a drug dealer; first
one is free, but then you have to pay for anything more." I remarked.

It will be well worth the $50/hr; she's a strong girl.

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
>> heh, some massage folks are "aura fluffers"

> I *hate* those types
>

>> and some are real body workers with healing talent. I love mine,
>> she's built like a truck driver, listens to Aerosmith on her days
>> off, and has great big strong peasant hands that know how to work.
>>
>> penny

> We just hired a new lady at my work. I'm helping to train her. She was
> standing behind me and starting massaging my neck/upper back. I
> thought it was a little weird of her since we just met, but it felt
> way too good to tell her to stop. When she did stop, I told her that
> she should be doing massages for a living. She then whipped out a
> business card, "Certified Massage Therapist." "Damn, you're like a
> drug dealer; first one is free, but then you have to pay for anything
> more." I remarked.
>
> It will be well worth the $50/hr; she's a strong girl.

Check your health insurance, more of them are covering massage for
therapeutic purposes than used to happen.

p.