wsad what should armstrong do??

oznation

Aug 20, 2004
should he go for one more win and call it a career
should he go as long as he can

oznation said:
should he go for one more win and call it a career
should he go as long as he can

I fell relatively confident that Discovery Channel will want him to maintain a high profile after the investment they are making in him. The Tour is the highest profile race there is as far a single race goes. I believe he will go for seven.

I don't know that helping another rider win (Hinault/Lemond) is an option. LA excels at 2 things, Mountains and TT. Both are essentially "solo" disciplines. His dominance of both areas is as much a result of discipline and training as it is the man's nearly freakish physical abilities. I don't know how he could "help" without, in effect, throwing the race. Would Tyler Hamilton or even Jan Ulrich, or even (Marco Pantani were he still alive) be content with victory if they knew that they had not been "the best"? Some things are not meant to be gift wrapped, TDF victories should be among them.

Old saying (not meant to demean any educators out there)
Those that can, DO, Those that can't, TEACH.
as long as Lance can..He should DO

Shreklookalike said:
He should do what HE feels is best for his career, health, and family.
Agreed, but the things you mention are factors in whether he can compete at championship level. No one is presuming to tell him what to do. I believe the question is framed in a way that asks, "if he is willing and able to compete and win, what should he do?
Similar questions arose when baseball's Cal Ripken was approaching Lou Gehrig's streak of consecutive games played. Should he have preserved Lou Gehrig's record? Should he have broken it? Once he did, should he have sat down the next day? Should he have gone on as long as he could?

I guess we could go round and round in circles with this one. In my opinion, even if he knows he still has the ability to win, it's still up to him to prioritize his life, and kind of pointless for anyone else to debate what he should or should not do. It's his life. If he wants to go for number 7 or 8 or 9, then that's what he should do. If he wants to concentrate on other tours or events, then that's what he should do. If he wants to ride in support of whomever he considers to be the next champion, then that's what he should do. If he wants to follow Sheryl Crow around on a concert tour and spend more time with his kids, then that's what he should do.

Like any other human being, he's got only one life. He probably understands this better than most people. He should do whatever makes him happiest in his life. He doesn't owe the sport anything, and he doesn't owe his fans anything.

Again, this is my opinion. Y'all are more than welcome to disagree, call me a schmuck, throw rotten tomatoes at my postings when the appear on your monitors, or whatever makes you happy. After all, you've only got one life too, and it's certainly not for me to tell you what you should do with it. ;)

Shreklookalike said:
I guess we could go round and round in circles with this one. In my opinion, even if he knows he still has the ability to win, it's still up to him to prioritize his life, and kind of pointless for anyone else to debate what he should or should not do. It's his life. If he wants to go for number 7 or 8 or 9, then that's what he should do. If he wants to concentrate on other tours or events, then that's what he should do. If he wants to ride in support of whomever he considers to be the next champion, then that's what he should do. If he wants to follow Sheryl Crow around on a concert tour and spend more time with his kids, then that's what he should do.

Like any other human being, he's got only one life. He probably understands this better than most people. He should do whatever makes him happiest in his life. He doesn't owe the sport anything, and he doesn't owe his fans anything.

Again, this is my opinion. Y'all are more than welcome to disagree, call me a schmuck, throw rotten tomatoes at my postings when the appear on your monitors, or whatever makes you happy. After all, you've only got one life too, and it's certainly not for me to tell you what you should do with it. ;)
I don't know how many ways I can say that I agree with you, within the big picture that you present. No ones is throwing tomatos or calling you anything. In the grand scheme it doesn't matter what any of us think.
Whatever

Breliswell said:
I don't know how many ways I can say that I agree with you, within the big picture that you present. No ones is throwing tomatos or calling you anything. In the grand scheme it doesn't matter what any of us think.
Whatever
Sorry if I sounded like I was expecting an attack, I was just (in a silly - perhaps stupid way) pointing out that my opinion was just that, and it's not going to matter to me one way or the other what people think of it. Just as it doesn't matter what any one of us thinks LA should do.

Peace.