You night ride ?

BikeyGuy

Sep 27, 2003
The time has changed across the country and that in years past has put an end to my riding after my work day has ended. Not this year.
I started rideing after work at night. I love it.
Any of you have any experience night riding ?
Any thoughts ? Tips ?
Thanks & Safe cycling.

BikeyGuy said:
The time has changed across the country and that in years past has put an end to my riding after my work day has ended. Not this year.
Any thoughts ? Tips ?
Thanks & Safe cycling.

In my case it would be to make out a will. You would need to be familiar with my area to know what I mean.
Way too dark on the rural winding mountainous roads and too many cars on the sidewalks in town but it would be nice if possible. I have about a 80 minute window of opportunity now that will dwindle to 45 by December.
Trainer time!!
However you might want to think about using a flasher on your bike.

I commute and given my work schedule, night riding is just part of the package. Obviously, an investment in a good lighting system is important. I have a helmet light AND a handle bar light. The handle bar light is more back up than anything or for those odd occasions when I've got caught out later than I thought I'd be. Back blinkie a necessity. I consider a fully charged cell phone a necessity.

I stick to the roads and stay off the trails, working on the theory that if I fall off my bike, and get hurt, I'm more likely to be seen on the public roadway than on the trails which are pretty deserted. Between the hours of 1 am and 3 am, I tend to drive on the sidewalk rather than on the main road, which I know is a No-No, but I'm competing for road space with drunks.

Personally, I've never had an encounter with a yahoo but I've had a couple of friends who got grief from the jerks. Again, a reason for me to stick to well travelled public roadways at the dark hours.

I also let my co-workers know which route I'm taking home and I call when I get there so they don't send the search party out after me.

On that note, I've gotten to the point where I love my late night rides. Part of my ride parallels the Nashwaak River and I have beautiful memories from this summer of biking along it, full moon and just me and my bike. Very peaceful.

The first rule is be seen. Lights all around and in correct colors. Yellow sides, red rear(also visible from the side) and at least 15 Watts up front. If you go faster than 20 MPH, you really need a HID. Don't forget a backup headlight.

If you have enough light, you are more visible to motorists in the dark than daytime. In the winter, there are no bugs and you stay cooler.

Weisse Luft said:
In the winter, there are no bugs and you stay cooler.

...and it will make you feel like a little kid again! Almost makes me want to add some cards and clothes pins for that cool sound. Maybe an AM radio on the handlebar... .

Tmax1
(riding at night)

BikeyGuy said:
Any thoughts ? Tips ?
Thanks & Safe cycling.

Sunday we had a century ride,a rider got hit by a car. yesturday my buddy got hit bye a car, stupid lady made a right in front of my buddy! im starting to wonder if night riding might be safer, at least as far as being visable with the bright red flashing lights. seems like we may be easier to blend in, in the day time.

jhuskey said:
Trainer time!!
Also fitness, gym and running time! Never thought about night riding because it`s too cold even by day a lot of time during winter. But if you live in warmer place, why not! I`m sure it can be very interesting!

As I race cyclo-cross and then wish to build my road season base, night-time riding is a necessity from October-February. I use 2 flashing LED lights at the rear, a Lupine Passubio XC up front and have reflective bands attached to my ankles.

In 8 years I have been hit 3 times but all at roundabouts where car drivers have simply not stopped at the junction. So be careful at roundabouts! I try to get across them ASAP, assume any approaching cars have not seen me and try to make eye contact if possible.

I have done some night riding with a friend on the Greenway trail in North Augusta, S.C. just across the Savannah river. It is a 4 1/2 mile paved trail that runs through a mix of wetland and woody suburbs. At first we didn't have lights but it didn't take long to realize how stupid we were. It is certainly different riding that trail than in the daylight. Every time I ride there at night I can't help but think of the movie Blair Witch Project.

One time we actually went THROUGH a herd of deer. A deer ran across the trail in front of my friend. One deer in front of my freind who was first, another one or two between him and me (I was probably 5 or 10 yards behind my friend and had to hit the brakes) and some waiting in the woods. Needless to say everyone, animal and human, got a raise in thier heart rate up.

I do, but I don't like it and don't recommend it, mainly due to safety reasons. I feel it is also less fun because you don't see as much. I carry as many lights as I can, the flashing red and yellow ones are the best (4 of them! never too many). I do it only for specific reasons:

1. I commute to work. At winter time night falls early and I have to ride back home in the dark. The way back is on a main road with heavy traffic, yet also with street lights and shoulders all the way. This road is the #1 cycler killer I believe, so I have to be very careful - this is not the right time and place for training...
2. Some times I leave home before dawn, either for training before work or getting to the Jerusalem climbs before it gets too hot. It is relatively safe, because there isn't much traffic, but on the other hand those who drive at this time are sometimes overspeeding, or drunk (or both).
3. When I do very long trips (such as http://www.cyclingforums.com/t192544.html) I sometimes have to do some night riding to get to my destination.

On all other occasions, such as my trip in Spain, the rule is to get off the bike as soon as the sun sets.

When I night ride, it is really nothing more than a recovery ride but on full alert. I am lit up like a Christmas tree. I slow down and ride an area that is both deserted and where I already know the road like the back of my hand. Even then, it is still easy to get suprised by debris in the road, dogs out for a midnight romp, and teenagers experiencing their first beer, etc. All of that notwithstanding, there is little that I love better than a moonlit night ride. :p

y i nightride:
- there are about 5000 times fewer smelly cars on the road at night.
- im lit up like a christmas tree thus very visible.
- can't sleep.

hsg said:
y i nightride:
- there are about 5000 times fewer smelly cars on the road at night.
- im lit up like a christmas tree thus very visible.
- can't sleep.
A friend of mine says exactly the same: It seems there are many of your kind... I personally prefer to sleep at night, I need it even though it is not as good as it used to be. If I don't sleep well - I don't cycle well either, in fact I don't do anything well the day after.

stinkycat said:
One time we actually went THROUGH a herd of deer. A deer ran across the trail in front of my friend. One deer in front of my freind who was first, another one or two between him and me (I was probably 5 or 10 yards behind my friend and had to hit the brakes) and some waiting in the woods. Needless to say everyone, animal and human, got a raise in thier heart rate up.
Animals in the night: This summer I climbed mount Hermon before dawn. Just before sunrise I got to about 1000m altitude, I saw 2 wild bores a few meters away in the woods. Luckily they ran away - these animals could be agressive.

I do nightride as well. At the moment I'm working and it's always dark when I leave work so there's no options if I want to ride. We have good network of lit gravel paths here and all the roads are lit as well. I have no need to use any powerful lights, just leds front and rear so that I'm visible. If I undestood right there's not too many lit roads elsewhere?

Does anybody know is there lit roads in The Netherlands?

Sure...I ride at night. There is a local elementary school about a mile and a half from my house with a perimiter road around it about 4 tenths long. It is well lite and I can ride (sometimes for an hour) without even seeing a car. It There are no really sharp turns and I can run 21-22 miles and hour steady. The only cars that I usually see are the local police and they know me so they just wave and keep going.

Night riding is a must in the winter when it is dark by the time you get off work. Just use a lot of reflecors, reflective tape, and flashing led light on the back. I use a night rider digital head trip that last almost 2 hours at 15 watts, 2.5 at 10 watts, and over 3 hours at 6 watts. For long road rides I use a new cat eye 5 led headlight that cost $40 and runs up to 100 hours!

Reflective tape:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/510000-510999/510449_301_full.jpg

I commute so this time of year I ride home in the dark. As others have said it's all about the lights. I use a Nightrider Pro HID Blowtorch on the handlebars and a helmet mounted 12W light. The HID lights up the street and the helmet mount is great for looking a cars when stopped at an intersection.

Red blinkie in back and on the left side, bright yellow reflective jacket.

I love night riding. I very often go out at the weekend after midnight for a couple of hours with my friend. The road is quite and if we see a car then we slow down and pull well into the side of the road. We usually down it around town because of the street lights which make the road clear (i have a **** lighting system) and there is a certain thrill in the urban jungle. Once i cycled home on my road bike drunk. Didn't see a single car but almost weaved into a parked one. Great fun. Next summer my friend and i are going to try and break 40 mph early in the morning under dawn's light. Can't wait

i love night riding i went out last night after it got dark with all the necessary safety gear, and the sense of freedom offered on a bike was magnified 10 fold it was brilliant and on long hills you cant see the top so you just keep on going and then suddenly your at the top sheer brilliance:)