Your Chance to HELP Cyclists!

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I’m new to this group, but have been a ‘lurking’ for
> a while.
>
> I live in Denmead, Hampshire and have become very
> concerned about some traffic calming measures being
> proposed by Hampshire County Council (HCC). The proposals
> include eight pedestrian refuges that will reduce the
> carriage way to less than 3.1m. From all the best practice
> and research I can find, gaps of 3m may be acceptable
> where the speed limit is below 30MPH and the traffic is
> light. The road in question is subject to heavy traffic
> and subject to a 30MPH limit.
>
> Mark.

Just had something very similar to deal with here in South
Gloucestershire, where W S Atkins (not entirely removed from
the wild west) are proposing something similar. When I
pointed out that these were anathema to cyclists, they had
the nerve to misquote CFI to me! (W S Atkins are famous for
their local cycling proposals, including a "cyclists
dismount" sign before a new miniroundabout.)

I have pointed out their error, with a considerable amount
of supporting evidence, but most importantly, copied it to
the local councillors, who appear to be most receptive. May
I reccommend this course of action.

burt wrote:
> "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I’m new to this group, but have been a ‘lurking’ for
>>a while.
>>
>>I live in Denmead, Hampshire and have become very
>>concerned about some traffic calming measures being
>>proposed by Hampshire County Council (HCC). The proposals
>>include eight pedestrian refuges that will reduce the
>>carriage way to less than 3.1m. From all the best practice
>>and research I can find, gaps of 3m may be acceptable
>>where the speed limit is below 30MPH and the traffic is
>>light. The road in question is subject to heavy traffic
>>and subject to a 30MPH limit.
>>
>>Mark.
>

> Just had something very similar to deal with here in South
> Gloucestershire, where W S Atkins (not entirely removed
> from the wild west) are proposing something similar. When
> I pointed out that these were anathema to cyclists, they
> had the nerve to misquote CFI to me! (W S Atkins are
> famous for their local cycling proposals, including a
> "cyclists dismount" sign before a new miniroundabout.)
>
> I have pointed out their error, with a considerable amount
> of supporting evidence, but most importantly, copied it to
> the local councillors, who appear to be most receptive.
> May I reccommend this course of action.

Unfortunately Burt, I did try my local councillors, they
just responded, "..we're not experts and will defer to HCC."
Which, to be honest did surprise me a bit. I think they
either agree with the design (perhaps from ignorance of the
best available practice and haste to get something done) and
won't say; or they don't have an opinion, which I find very
hard to believe! - I may never know.

Thanks for the idea!

Cheers.

Mark wrote:
> burt wrote:
>> Just had something very similar to deal with here in
>> South Gloucestershire, where W S Atkins (not entirely
>> removed from the wild west) are proposing something
>> similar. When I pointed out that these were anathema to
>> cyclists, they had the nerve to misquote CFI to me! (W S
>> Atkins are famous for their local cycling proposals,
>> including a "cyclists dismount" sign before a new
>> miniroundabout.)
>>
>> I have pointed out their error, with a considerable
>> amount of supporting evidence, but most importantly,
>> copied it to the local councillors, who appear to be most
>> receptive. May I reccommend this course of action.
>
> Unfortunately Burt, I did try my local councillors, they
> just responded, "..we're not experts and will defer to
> HCC." Which, to be honest did surprise me a bit. I think
> they either agree with the design (perhaps from ignorance
> of the best available practice and haste to get something
> done) and won't say; or they don't have an opinion, which
> I find very hard to believe! - I may never know.

There is a government Traffic Advisory Leaflet called
Cyclists at Road Narrowings, which you should read. It will
be on the DfT (or is it DETR? Anyway, the transport
ministry) website.

These leaflets are based on research, and from memory
with gaps of
2.8m or more some motorists will try to overtake cyclists in
the gap. You could ask for a reduction to 2.75m, citing
the leaflet, but you will still get the occasional driver
cutting you up trying to get to the narrowing first.

The MINIMUM width for safe overtaking within the narrowing
is 4.5m, if HGVs or buses can use the road, but few traffic
engineers accept this.

Colin McKenzie

--
Why believe statistics? Ignore them and you can believe the
damned lies instead!