Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see (London)

Pete Biggs

Guest
From the London Cycling Campaign:

See and Be Seen around HGVs.

June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
anytime

Two large lorries will be set up all day Tuesday and Wednesday in
Trafalgar Square. This is your chance to get up close and stay safe.
Sit in the driver's cab, see what you look like in the driver's mirror.
Walk / cycle around the lorry, discover where you can be seen and where
you cannot. Talk to the police and some drivers, explain what it's like
cycling near a lorry.

One objective is to educate cyclists by getting to understand lorries.
The other objective is to educate lorry drivers and trainers. You can
take part in video filming of your moves and reactions, tell them what
you think and feel. These videos will be used to help train lorry
drivers in London. The aim is to reduce the number of collisions and
deaths. If a lorry hits a cyclist - it's the cyclist who hurts.

This show is put on by the Commercial Vehicle Education Unit of the Met
Police. They are working to make freight transport safer.

=
Please pass this information on to other cyclists . . . . .

Charlie Lloyd
Cycling Development Officer
London Cycling Campaign

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> writes:

> From the London Cycling Campaign:
>

> See and Be Seen around HGVs.
>
> June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm
>
> Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
> anytime

I've always felt the driving test should include compulsary rides
in/on an HGV, a horse and a motorbike.

Jon

Jonathan Schneider wrote:
> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>From the London Cycling Campaign:
>>

>>See and Be Seen around HGVs.
>>
>>June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm
>>
>>Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
>>anytime

> I've always felt the driving test should include compulsary rides
> in/on an HGV, a horse and a motorbike.

Oh... a *horse*...

I read it at first as "hearse".

Might not be a bad idea though - concentrating the mind and certainly
better than a ride on a horse.

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> From the London Cycling Campaign:
>

> See and Be Seen around HGVs.
>
> June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm
>
> Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
> anytime

<snipped>

> This show is put on by the Commercial Vehicle Education Unit of the Met
> Police. They are working to make freight transport safer.
>
> =
> Please pass this information on to other cyclists . . . . .
>
> Charlie Lloyd
> Cycling Development Officer
> London Cycling Campaign

Sounds to me like a damn good idea.
Should be a national roadshow -and just like Johnatthan Schneider said - it
ought to involve others too.
Sadly - little or fat chance.
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

On 18 Jun, 22:55, "Pete Biggs" wrote:
> From the London Cycling Campaign:
>
> See and Be Seen around HGVs.
>
> June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm
>
> Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
> anytime

The police were handing out leaflets about it this morning. Good idea.

On Jun 26, 8:37 am, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 18 Jun, 22:55, "Pete Biggs" wrote:
>
> > From the London Cycling Campaign:

> > See and Be Seen around HGVs.

> > June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm

> > Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
> > anytime

> The police were handing out leaflets about it this morning. Good idea.

It would be great if someone could get some reasonable pictures of the
event. Post them on the citycycling Flickr group..

...d

On Jun 18, 10:55 pm, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> From the London Cycling Campaign:
>
> See and Be Seen around HGVs.
>
> June 26-27 Tuesday & Wednesday 7am - 7pm
>
> Your chance to see what the HGV driver sees, or doesn't see. Turn up
> anytime
>
> Two large lorries will be set up all day Tuesday and Wednesday in
> Trafalgar Square. This is your chance to get up close and stay safe.
> Sit in the driver's cab, see what you look like in the driver's mirror.

This is well worth going to see. I'd recommend it to everybody.

Tim.

On Jun 27, 7:57 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> This is well worth going to see. I'd recommend it to everybody.

Another copper tried to give me a leaflet and said I'd get a free gift
if I went.
What are they giving away?

On Jun 27, 2:45 pm, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 7:57 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is well worth going to see. I'd recommend it to everybody.

> Another copper tried to give me a leaflet and said I'd get a free gift
> if I went.
> What are they giving away?

A fluorescent yellow waterproof thing to cover your bag. Folds up into
it's own pocket - it will be quite useful for me as my brompton bag is
not completely waterproof and it's small enough and light enough that
it can just live in the bag permanently.

Tim.