Your ideal spinning session, what would that be?

Nothing like taking my bike out for a spin. My ideal spinning session would be 60 degrees slightly overcast with a steady 15 MPH northeast wind. Nice workout....

I live in Western NY where the winters are long, harsh and very snowy; so I ride indoors A LOT between the months of November and April.

The key to spinning for me is constantly mixing it up. I have a stationary spinning bike, a nice set of aluminum rollers, and a Cycleops fluid trainer.

The spinning bike is great for climbing practice because I can actually stand up on it and crank the resistance as high as it goes to replicate a savage climbs. I usually spend about 60 minutes doing intervals of 2 to 5 min at max intensity with about 2 to 5 min of recovery. Call it 2 X 20. On the spinning bike I watch TV.

I use the fluid trainer for straight-up intervals. Usually I watch a Robbie Ventura cycle training video on the trainer that is meant to simulate a crit race. I try to adjust my efforts along with the video, it's actually pretty cool and VERY intense.

Finally, when I use the rollers I just practice bike handling and control while watching Bike-O-Vision videos of nice scenery and mellow jazz music. This is my "zen session" and I try to mix one in once a week during the winter.

Indoor training is tough and takes a lot of of discipline, which is why many people probably spend money on classes. But if you set yourself up right at home, you can get all the benefits and save yourself some money.

Have fun!