Your longest threshold interval work on the trainer

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Oh man, I just did 3x20--with 5 minutes rest in between-- on the trainer at threshold power. That was some workout. Glad I didn't feel wasted. Average power is 237w (3.9w/kg) for the 3 intervals. Obviously, np and ap is only couple of watts difference.

BlueJersey said:
Oh man, I just did 3x20--with 5 minutes rest in between-- on the trainer at threshold power. That was some workout. Glad I didn't feel wasted. Average power is 237w (3.9w/kg) for the 3 intervals. Obviously, np and ap is only couple of watts difference.
Not trying hard enough then :p

BlueJersey said:
Nice! Good job. I once did 50 miles on a Cycleops Fluid 2 riding an Allez Sport. I think it took about 3 1/2 hours. I had considered training for and doing a century on the trainer that Winter but kept having bhronchitis and asthma problems. Maybe someday though. ;)

BlueJersey said:
i used to do 1hour tt's every week at threshold looking back it was not a good idea

If you did do them at threshold, as defined by Andy, I don't see you would have any problem with "burnout" or "lost of motivation." I spent 2 months doing mid to upper threshold work. Total of 20 days of threshold work in 2 months (3 weeks block). I can generally recover from each of the threshold work the next day. It wasn't hard. An hour threshold work is an hour threshold work. Is hard mentally and hard on your body either way. It wasn't hard to the point that you need couple of days to recover.

Old Junker said:
it was the off season

BlueJersey said:
If you did do them at threshold, as defined by Andy, I don't see you would have any problem with "burnout" or "lost of motivation." I spent 2 months doing mid to upper threshold work. Total of 20 days of threshold work in 2 months (3 weeks block). I can generally recover from each of the threshold work the next day. It wasn't hard. An hour threshold work is an hour threshold work. Is hard mentally and hard on your body either way. It wasn't hard to the point that you need couple of days to recover.
ok maybe i was too strict, i did 3.5 months religously (tuesdays and saturdays)and that was before i knew what a power meter was, just by heart rate , same gear, cadence 98-100

Right now I am riding the trainer 3-4 days a week and lifting/ strecthing/ doing pilates the other 3 days. my longest interval on the trainer ( Cycelops Fluid2) was 3X20 minutes at threshold w/ 5 min. rest, unfourtunately Cycelops only gave us trainers this year (No PowerTaps:( ) but we should get some powertaps from them next year.

Our team's first race series is next week, but we won't be on our new race bikes until the second race weekend.

BlueJersey said:
today was 3 hours on the trainer
wu
3x10x1
1x30x2
5x6x.5
2x10x1
1x20x2
5x3x.5
cd

I can't stand to do more than an hour on the trainer, mostly 2 x 20 with warm up, recovery and cool down filling out the hour. I can sustain the same intensity and more for much longer out on the road. I think on the trainer there is not enough to distract you from the pain and effort. Out on the road you are actually going somewhere, focussing on traffic and the road surface, lots of scenery passing by, other riders and much more breeze to cool you down.

I'm envious of some of the power and ... discipline being displayed here.

If I can get through 1.5 to 2 hrs doing a Carmichael (DVD with a cool down) I think I'm doing well.

BlueJersey said:
I've done 3x20. Anything longer than that and I doubt it would be a "pure" threshold workout (ap=ft). I've done 3x30, 4x20, and 1x90 in L4, but several % below threshold.

whoawhoa said:
I've done 3x20. Anything longer than that and I doubt it would be a "pure" threshold workout (ap=ft). I've done 3x30, 4x20, and 1x90 in L4, but several % below threshold.
mine were NOT at threshold oops mybad:)