America.....Views from the Road.

wolfix said:
I haven't been on the forum for over 7 weeks except for a peek now and then. Last November I was bored so I went out and got myself put into a over the road truck. Since then I have had a total of maybe 10 hours to myself. It's all about driving and sleeping. I have been in most states [Alaska/Hawaii excepted] except the Pacific Northwest.
I have a total different view of America now then what I did before I left. Some of the thoughts I now have really surprise me. Day to day I have dealt with some of the issues that are contoversial at this point in time.
Over those 7 weeks I have logged about 30,000 miles.
I drove thru white/out snow across Nebraska at 30mph, drove thru the ice storm of Oklahoma that killed so many drivers, and have had to back down side streets in NYC to deliver 44,000 lbs of beer. The Rockies are tricky and big. I don't care if I ever hit that place called LA again.
I haul meat, beer, and sometimes a few odd products. My truck rarely stops except for me to get some sleep.
This experience has changed me. And maybe not for the better.
I will not have access to the computer on a regular basis for a few weeks, but if anyone is interested I will post some of the things i observe about America. The good and the bad. And we have both. I cannot name the companies that I do business with because of contractual obligations that my partners and I have. However, I will be mentioning one particular retail store many times and you can guess who I am talking about. And one meat company that has it's roots in Arkansa. Both of these companies own this country. One company I will mention with nothing but total admiration for ther business practices is Budweiser. They are very professional. I have also hauled some of the small breweries yuppie beer [mostly from Colorado]. I can tell you this about the small little backroom breweries, don't believe much what you read on the label. Maybe they are not really made where they say they are. Maybe they are made in some smoke filled shithole 800 miles away.

One thing I know is this..........The Clintons and Bushes need to go. If anyone thinks Clinton was a good President economically they are delusional. He started a process that will eventually cripple America. And Bush???????? He has continued the process. Both of those guys had their own self interests in mind, not the working people of this country. I fear for America with what these 2 men have left. I have always been a business owner since high school. But I see the working man, who is the backbone of this country being attacked by all sides. I do not like what I see.
Back on the road............. I have 40,000 lbs of steroid filled pork ready to be hauled to the wonderful people of New Jersey and New York.
"Arise, ye workers from your slumbers,
Arise, ye prisoners of want..."
Wolfie's going Bolshie on us! :D

Let's see now...the biggest food company in the world is located in Arkansas... Tyson Foods.

One of the biggest retailers in the world... Walmart... is situated in Arkansas as well..... Hmmm.....

Hypnospin said:
ah, immigrant bashing, a great way to exploit the emotions of the voters and allow politicos to duck the much more substantive issues. for example, it must require all of a a fraction of a percent of the taxpayer-gratis funded bushwars billions (expenditures which primarily serve to transfer wealth to the priveleged few) to provide these humanistic benefits you describe...

as for "illegal" immigrants and the reality of the statisics involved, there are at least 50,000 Irish among them durn undesireable illegals what you done mention here, as of 2006 counts.

but it is always SO easy and convenient to generalize, and point the flag at mexicans, for example, when over 3 million "illegals" (undocumented is a more realistic term, as how can a human being be termed illegal in any accepta

i could suggest we also need examine the tendency to value people on the basis of what they earn, as it does not necessarily offer legitimate comparison to what a person contributes...
OH good Idea, lets call them undocumented and just get rid of that silly U.S. Mexican border too. Maybe Mexico will then stop arresting and jailing immigrants on its sothern border. Wait better idea. We can build a free commuter rail starting in Brazil so everyone can come here and be an "undocumented worker" free hospitals and education for all of South and Central America care of U.S. taxpayers. OOPS dont forget Mexico. As far as judging people by what the earn. Not here. More like expecting people to pay for what they use. Your hypnospin math is off a bit too. The real number is 20 million. Lets do the math on what it costs to educate them and give them free medical care. Then look at the giant slap in the face that you give to everyone that has to subsidise this

There's a lot of anger in America at present over immigration from Mexico. I have American friends who were always very tolerant and now they come across as really angry about the border situation. Apparently there's a lot of Hispanics in Florida and California to the point Spanish is spoken everywhere. So, I hear.

Billsworld said:
OH good Idea, lets call them undocumented and just get rid of that silly U.S. Mexican border too. Maybe Mexico will then stop arresting and jailing immigrants on its sothern border. Wait better idea. We can build a free commuter rail starting in Brazil so everyone can come here and be an "undocumented worker" free hospitals and education for all of South and Central America care of U.S. taxpayers. OOPS dont forget Mexico. As far as judging people by what the earn. Not here. More like expecting people to pay for what they use. Your hypnospin math is off a bit too. The real number is 20 million. Lets do the math on what it costs to educate them and give them free medical care. Then look at the giant slap in the face that you give to everyone that has to subsidise this

Carrera said:
There's a lot of anger in America at present over immigration from Mexico. I have American friends who were always very tolerant and now they come across as really angry about the border situation. Apparently there's a lot of Hispanics in Florida and California to the point Spanish is spoken everywhere. So, I hear.
The growing anger isnt so much from the fact that they speak Spanish or any other language (althoughit doesnt help) it is the services that they use for free. How can you ask the average American family to give up half of their income to taxes while they are trying to save for retirement and for their own kids to go to school and then have people using services for free. It is the same argument as welfare. If you hand out free money you will continue to encourage people to breed that cant even take care of themselves. I hear lower and upper middle class families saying they dont want kids or they only want one or two. The families that work and are educated are having fewer children because they are forced to raise the childrem of people that are not capable of doing so. As the the rest of the world wonders why the U.S. has become more fat , lazy , stupid and violent .

It's the same thing here. To be honest, I just think the whole system is on its last legs and it won't change till we start having accountable politicians who have proper leadership training. It's no good getting into leadership positions on the basis of a degree in sociology or English drama yet this is what happens.
I always believed the purpose of immigration is to supply needed skills. For instance, teachers of foreign languages or business/finance experts. Otherwise I believe politicians are elected in order to serve in the interests of the population which means making sure people get trained, skilled and educated.
The funny thing is I've been complaining about this sort of thing for years but now a lot has changed so my former minority view is now becoming a majority view. Every day in the newspapers, there is some front page furor about immigration and there's a degree of panic public services cannot cope with the influx.
Crime has risen dramatically because we have a rising number of uneducated, unskilled, poorer people who remain unemployed while many jobs are filled by immigrant workers, often for poor salaries. In some ways, it's like a throwback to the twenties where capitalists exploited workers and the rich benefited from the system. What happened eventually was the formation of radical political parties and movements so I guess capitalists will never learn the lessons of history.
We have to have immigration limits and we have to have a minimum wage for all and decent labour laws. It's the only way to create a stable society.

Billsworld said:
The growing anger isnt so much from the fact that they speak Spanish or any other language (althoughit doesnt help) it is the services that they use for free. How can you ask the average American family to give up half of their income to taxes while they are trying to save for retirement and for their own kids to go to school and then have people using services for free. It is the same argument as welfare. If you hand out free money you will continue to encourage people to breed that cant even take care of themselves. I hear lower and upper middle class families saying they dont want kids or they only want one or two. The families that work and are educated are having fewer children because they are forced to raise the childrem of people that are not capable of doing so. As the the rest of the world wonders why the U.S. has become more fat , lazy , stupid and violent .

Carrera said:
It's the same thing here. To be honest, I just think the whole system is on its last legs and it won't change till we start having accountable politicians who have proper leadership training. It's no good getting into leadership positions on the basis of a degree in sociology or English drama yet this is what happens.
I always believed the purpose of immigration is to supply needed skills. For instance, teachers of foreign languages or business/finance experts. Otherwise I believe politicians are elected in order to serve in the interests of the population which means making sure people get trained, skilled and educated.
The funny thing is I've been complaining about this sort of thing for years but now a lot has changed so my former minority view is now becoming a majority view. Every day in the newspapers, there is some front page furor about immigration and there's a degree of panic public services cannot cope with the influx.
Crime has risen dramatically because we have a rising number of uneducated, unskilled, poorer people who remain unemployed while many jobs are filled by immigrant workers, often for poor salaries. In some ways, it's like a throwback to the twenties where capitalists exploited workers and the rich benefited from the system. What happened eventually was the formation of radical political parties and movements so I guess capitalists will never learn the lessons of history.
We have to have immigration limits and we have to have a minimum wage for all and decent labour laws. It's the only way to create a stable society.
My fear is the same as yours. I think the U.S. has spent its way into a giant black hole. The left blames Iraq, the right blames the borders and social spending. regardless of the cause, that big ball of debt is still getting bigger and the middle class is getting it in the neck

Billsworld said:
The average American family pays half their income in taxes?
Why would anyone want to move to a country like that?
Have you ever considered the possibility that it may be the amount spent on your military (more than half the total amount of military expenditure in the entire world is spent by just one country...the US. ) that accounts for your tax rates?
Your military is of course, a form of "military Keynesianism" i.e welfare. :eek:

stevebaby said:
The average American family pays half their income in taxes?
Why would anyone want to move to a country like that?
Have you ever considered the possibility that it may be the amount spent on your military (more than half the total amount of military expenditure in the entire world is spent by just one country...the US. ) that accounts for your tax rates?
Your military is of course, a form of "military Keynesianism" i.e welfare. :eek:
I understand your point. The 50% that I speak of is kind of a moving target. In my case I get hit by the Fed ,State and local. Thats the easy stuff to figure out. The gas taxes , sales taxes and every fee and toll is very hard to add up. On a percentage basis those would not hit higher income individuals as hard. I tend to lean more towards a libertarian view of the Federal govt and the role of the Military. If I were King, we wouldnt be in Iraq and 9/11 wouldnt have happened because the people that did it wouldnt have been in the country. I would however also have a miltary that would in size represent my distrust of China, Russia, etc...(no savings there) As far as the"why would anyone want to move here" comment. If you are speaking of the immigrants that flood here and many other western counties....As Carrera said, they should be allowed in based on OUR needs not theirs. In the case of Mexico, the people that make excuses for the Mexicans ought to look at how Mexico treats its borders and then look at how its wealth from natural resources stays with the mega rich and govt.. I contend that Mexico is in the poverty export business.

I have just a minute here as I am waiting for a long deserved load going to Floida and the sun after running the snow infested Rockies..............
I have seen immigration up close and personal the past 2 months. Soon I will have a laptop to participate in this discussion on a daily basis.
A rather intereseting thing happened to me the other night in a dogfood plant concerning "Mexican coyotes". They are operating in the states now. They are no longer just border runners. I was witness to a "coyote confrontation". It was 3 in the morning in a warehouse district in a large meat city. I was the only non-Mexican in the area. I was sitting in ther truck when a coyote confronted another coyote for stealing his workers. I left quickly before the bullets started flying.
I have never felt the need for a gun for protection until now. I see the seedy part of large cities where the law reallly doe s not apply. I am not sure I like what I am seeing and what I feel towards another huiman beings at times. I am becoming very hard. The Mexicans illegals' have become slaves to their own predatory people who serve the Tysons and Wal-marrts. Our governmnt allows this to happen. Our government actually makes this happen. We need either to decide if we need the illegals for our economy, and make conditions right for them. Or we need to destroy the corporate culture that allows them to exsist. We have to decide. it is shameful to allow the human abuse these people are taking from their own people and our businesss owners.

Rant over............... On the good side of America, I have met a very sweet , brown eyed beauty up in the Rockies who makes it right when I get to stop by. A perfect woman...........A women who likes it when you stop by, and loves it when you leave. And doesn't ask for much.

And Bill.......I was up in Ma. several weeks ago in ....I can't remember. I think it was Chatfield or maybe Hatfield............There was a nice retro diner there. I was delivering 42000 lbs of pork chops there from somewherre.......... I forget half the time where I was a few days before. I was sort of disappointed while up there in Mass tho, as Ted Kennedy didn't invite me to go drinking and driving. I hear he is a blast after about 6 Scotch and waters.

Gottas go....................I am leaving this snow and headed to the land of the Sun.

wolfix said:
I have just a minute here as I am waiting for a long deserved load going to Floida and the sun after running the snow infested Rockies..............
I have seen immigration up close and personal the past 2 months. Soon I will have a laptop to participate in this discussion on a daily basis.
A rather intereseting thing happened to me the other night in a dogfood plant concerning "Mexican coyotes". They are operating in the states now. They are no longer just border runners. I was witness to a "coyote confrontation". It was 3 in the morning in a warehouse district in a large meat city. I was the only non-Mexican in the area. I was sitting in ther truck when a coyote confronted another coyote for stealing his workers. I left quickly before the bullets started flying.
I have never felt the need for a gun for protection until now. I see the seedy part of large cities where the law reallly doe s not apply. I am not sure I like what I am seeing and what I feel towards another huiman beings at times. I am becoming very hard. The Mexicans illegals' have become slaves to their own predatory people who serve the Tysons and Wal-marrts. Our governmnt allows this to happen. Our government actually makes this happen. We need either to decide if we need the illegals for our economy, and make conditions right for them. Or we need to destroy the corporate culture that allows them to exsist. We have to decide. it is shameful to allow the human abuse these people are taking from their own people and our businesss owners.

Rant over............... On the good side of America, I have met a very sweet , brown eyed beauty up in the Rockies who makes it right when I get to stop by. A perfect woman...........A women who likes it when you stop by, and loves it when you leave. And doesn't ask for much.

And Bill.......I was up in Ma. several weeks ago in ....I can't remember. I think it was Chatfield or maybe Hatfield............There was a nice retro diner there. I was delivering 42000 lbs of pork chops there from somewherre.......... I forget half the time where I was a few days before. I was sort of disappointed while up there in Mass tho, as Ted Kennedy didn't invite me to go drinking and driving. I hear he is a blast after about 6 Scotch and waters.

Gottas go....................I am leaving this snow and headed to the land of the Sun.
Thats only allowed in Hyannis and select spots on the Vineyard. Rubber side up:)

Billsworld said:
I understand your point. The 50% that I speak of is kind of a moving target. In my case I get hit by the Fed ,State and local. Thats the easy stuff to figure out. The gas taxes , sales taxes and every fee and toll is very hard to add up. On a percentage basis those would not hit higher income individuals as hard. I tend to lean more towards a libertarian view of the Federal govt and the role of the Military. If I were King, we wouldnt be in Iraq and 9/11 wouldnt have happened because the people that did it wouldnt have been in the country. I would however also have a miltary that would in size represent my distrust of China, Russia, etc...(no savings there) As far as the"why would anyone want to move here" comment. If you are speaking of the immigrants that flood here and many other western counties....As Carrera said, they should be allowed in based on OUR needs not theirs. In the case of Mexico, the people that make excuses for the Mexicans ought to look at how Mexico treats its borders and then look at how its wealth from natural resources stays with the mega rich and govt.. I contend that Mexico is in the poverty export business.
A libertarian king? :D

I'm home after the last 3 weeks of about 15000 miles across the states. Three days ago I was in LA, then beer tasting at FatTyre in Fort Collins and now home after a straight 1000 mile run.

Tonight....a few beers.

wolfix said:
I'm home after the last 3 weeks of about 15000 miles across the states. Three days ago I was in LA, then beer tasting at FatTyre in Fort Collins and now home after a straight 1000 mile run.

Tonight....a few beers.
So now we know the true reason for this truck driving thing...hitting all the microbreweries in the country whilst getting paid for it...:D

nns1400 said:
So now we know the true reason for this truck driving thing...hitting all the microbreweries in the country whilst getting paid for it...:D
Yeah....... they don't have to be micro.....macro will also do fine.

wolfix said:
You know in Phoenix there were more than 350 kidnappings last year. Not Mexico City, where you need bodyguards, but freakin' Phoenix. And that number is just the ones that are known to police. A decade ago there were no kidnappings. Mexican gangs kidnap people who are involved in illegal activities and demand ransom. It's beginning to spill over to legitimate hispanic businessmen, and it will eventually involve anyone who has the means to pay.

Washington won't be satisfied until the U.S. is a third world shithole. But, hey, if Wallmart's executives and board of directors, are happy then it must be good for America. God forbid that McDonalds might have to hire U.S. citizens and the price of a Big Mac goes up.

Bro Deal said:
You know in Phoenix there were more than 350 kidnappings last year. Not Mexico City, where you need bodyguards, but freakin' Phoenix. And that number is just the ones that are known to police. A decade ago there were no kidnappings. Mexican gangs kidnap people who are involved in illegal activities and demand ransom. It's beginning to spill over to legitimate hispanic businessmen, and it will eventually involve anyone who has the means to pay.

Washington won't be satisfied until the U.S. is a third world shithole. But, hey, if Wallmart's executives and board of directors, are happy then it must be good for America. God forbid that McDonalds might have to hire U.S. citizens and the price of a Big Mac goes up.
The stupidest thing they did was all get together and protest waving Mexican flags. That's going to win you sympathy in the US... :rolleyes: