Spandex and Women.

guidebar said:
Why is it that every time I stop for coffee while out for a ride that any women in the coffee shop stare at my crotch.I know spandex is tight and revealing but that is what we cyclists wear.I cannot help it that I protrude out of any spandex that I wear.They always giggle if they are with friends or they say"Did you see that" or they stare if they are alone.
My question is what is with that? I ride everyday and this happens everyday.I just do not understand why women are like that!

G.
Spandex is here to stay. There was a study that showed that when most people would wear spandex that fit snug People were more motivated to exercize.The findings were expecially for women that when they wore spandex a snug fit around their thighs ,buttocks genital area. Most women wanted to excercize doing certain excersizes more often, Most women had stated that by wearing extra tight spandex it gave them extra support to contract their muscles like with deep knee bends squats stretching their legs. One women had stated that the extra tight spandex was the way to go she felt results better I can really build up a sweat easy and feel the tone in my body.the study also showed that the extra tight spandex helps losen the fat cells in the body the study showed that women were tired of having to pull up baggy spandex any time they had to run bike or jog

guidebar said:
Why is it that every time I stop for coffee while out for a ride that any women in the coffee shop stare at my crotch.I know spandex is tight and revealing but that is what we cyclists wear.I cannot help it that I protrude out of any spandex that I wear.They always giggle if they are with friends or they say"Did you see that" or they stare if they are alone.
My question is what is with that? I ride everyday and this happens everyday.I just do not understand why women are like that!

G.
If it weren't for spandex you could be ripping your shorts instead

[SIZE=10.5pt]It really isn’t a common thing to see a man in a spandex that tightly fits the whole body and may emphasize some “body parts”, which women are likely to giggle upon or be interested of. I suggest you just stand tall and take pride of it my friend. I really don’t care if they stare or whatever, as long as I am comfortable and bike-ready in my suit. [/SIZE]

last time i wore my spandex someone called the animal control "exotics" unit on me. it wasn't until they bagged the thing that they realized we were attached at birth.

Maybe you should take it as a compliment. Either that, or you should be really offended by the giggling

If I wore a brightly colored unitard into a coffee shop, I would expect people to look and laugh. We have to admit that bicycling clothes are often absurd and worthy of ridicule.

Alternate explanation, you have a funny package.

Other alternate explanation, people aren't used to seeing guys' junk through form-fitting clothing, and they're scandalized. The reason you only notice women looking and commenting is because men are desperately staring at their own feet so nobody calls them gay.

After 25 years of cycling, you've seen and heard it all. Once I was at a convenience store taking a break on a ride leaning up against the wall. Woman walking by looks down at me and says nice legs. Thanks then she says you fill out your shorts well.

More attention grabbing is that my wife rides and has a big ass. One guy didn't realize she was with me said to her, you look great in those shorts.

One of our riding partners told her she looked very sexy in her top. Sports bra and a top but still her hard nips were noticeable and he liked them. Can't blame him. She knows they show, I snap a pic every time I get a chance ha ha ha.

Another time after the ride wife was sitting on a grass bank with her friend chatting. I guess she didn't realize she had her legs spread with her knees up. Buddy walks over to me and says, no disrespect but check this out. Walks me over to where he was standing then said look at that. I looked over and yeah pretty impressive view of the spandex between her legs. He says no disrespect but day yum she has a phat p#$$y, looks awesome. I could only agree.

Seen it all, heard it all after the two of us dressed in spandex over the years.

No one has ever told me I look good in spandex!

One thing I found out about cycling shorts vs board shorts, there's negligible difference between the two at 20 mph cruising speed as long as the board shorts isn't too loose it 'balloons' at speed. So now I prefer to wear board shorts complemented with loose quick dry shirt if I ever need to get to a store during a long ride, I blend perfectly with non-cyclists. I just use coconut oil down there to avoid saddle rash on long rides with unpadded shorts.

I don't feel any stronger at all wearing tight cycling shorts and my segment speeds reflect this. I wasn't any faster on cycling shorts than loose board shorts (it's entirely possible it's the other way around and I'm faster on the loose board shorts!). Perhaps, the benefit of tight shorts or "compression" leggings is nothing more than hype or placebo effect.

I don't think it's a matter of feeling stronger for most us average cyclists. I feel it's more about comfort.

No way are baggy shorts going to be more comfortable in a stiff headwind. I've used non cycling shorts and they flapped in the wind so much, it was very annoying.

Plus the seams in the crotch almost killed me. Ok not kill me, but almost dismembered my member. :D

Even on cold days when I have to wear a windbreaker it flaps around too much as well as slapping flapping sounds that are very annoying.

I think it's about comfort and I'm guessing the shaved seconds off wearing tight outfits is more noticeable in the tour de France racer types.

Reactions: cobbwheels
I don't think it's a matter of feeling stronger for most us average cyclists. I feel it's more about comfort.

No way are baggy shorts going to be more comfortable in a stiff headwind. I've used non cycling shorts and they flapped in the wind so much, it was very annoying.

Plus the seams in the crotch almost killed me. Ok not kill me, but almost dismembered my member. :D

Even on cold days when I have to wear a windbreaker it flaps around too much as well as slapping flapping sounds that are very annoying.

I think it's about comfort and I'm guessing the shaved seconds off wearing tight outfits is more noticeable in the tour de France racer types.

You'll actually read about tight cycling shorts improving your power output and not just speed from less drag to a number of 'sciency' reasons. But I think it's nothing more than marketing hype.

I agree with you about comfort, esp, the padded ones. But the rest of the claimed effect like the power output, I found that to be non-existent or too insignificant to warrant attention.

On really hot and really wet rides, I get less chaffing on the inner thighs if the shorts is stuck to my skin which means wearing my tight cycling shorts with no cream.

You'll actually read about tight cycling shorts improving your power output and not just speed from less drag to a number of 'sciency' reasons. But I think it's nothing more than marketing hype.

I agree with you about comfort, esp, the padded ones. But the rest of the claimed effect like the power output, I found that to be non-existent or too insignificant to warrant attention.

On really hot and really wet rides, I get less chaffing on the inner thighs if the shorts is stuck to my skin which means wearing my tight cycling shorts with no cream.

I myself have never read anything about shorts improving power.

Do you have an example of such claims?

All I ever see is this kind of a claim. Comfort and efficiency.

Screenshot_20230416_075956_Google.jpg

I myself have never read anything about shorts improving power.

Do you have an example of such claims?

All I ever see is this kind of a claim. Comfort and efficiency.

Efficiency can also mean increased power output, not just improve aerodynamics.

Try 'compression shorts'. Our cycling shorts / bibs essentially use the same compression principle to do exactly what compression shorts do, except with padding. https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/g25576205/best-compression-shorts/

They claim it improves performance, circulation, and speeds up recovery. Recovery, maybe....Aerodynamics, yes, circulation, no effect, but power output, that would be a big NO based on my experience. Have been doing long climbs on either cycling shorts or loose board shorts, I'm always faster uphill with the loose board shorts.

It's possible that the women in the coffee shop are simply noticing your tight spandex and not necessarily staring at your crotch. However, if you are feeling uncomfortable with the attention, you may want to consider wearing looser or less revealing clothing while you're out in public. It's important to remember that people have different comfort levels when it comes to clothing and appearance, so while you may feel comfortable in your spandex, others may not be used to seeing that type of clothing. Additionally, it's important to respect the boundaries and feelings of others, so if someone's staring or commenting is making you feel uncomfortable, it's okay to politely ask them to stop.