Clydesdale Riding(-- What's that???

Snyperx

Guest
I am just getting back into riding after a long hiatous and was wonder what kind fo riding is
Clydesdale Riding??? I have been shopping for some new Rims and I saw a few that were suited for
this kind fo riding. Anyone care to explain? Thanks.

Snyperx

Snyperx thoughtfully penned:
> I am just getting back into riding after a long hiatous and was wonder what kind fo riding is
> Clydesdale Riding??? I have been shopping for some new Rims and I saw a few that were suited for
> this kind fo riding. Anyone care to explain? Thanks.
>

> Snyperx

www.ridephat.com

might help

From: The Eastern Fat Tire Association http://www.efta.com/ http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/clyde.html

Clydesdales CLYDESDALE CHANGES FOR THE 2002 RACE SEASON

CLYDESDALE, SPORT LEVEL

You asked for it---you got it! The 2002 season will feature a new class --- the Sport Clydesdale.
Thank you to the numerous members who expressed their interest in having EFTA provide this
competitive class. And a big thank you must go out to Cyclesmith Bike Shop in beautiful, downtown
Henniker, New Hampshire, as they have agreed to sponsor the class for the 2002 season for all EFTA
sanctioned races. As with any current new class, it will be offered for the season on a trial basis.
Continuation of the class beyond the 2002 season will depend on various factors, including a
material level of race entries in this field. So double your training efforts, double your race
miles, and double your fun in the sport category!

These changes will include:

Novice Clydesdale riders will be subject to the regular novice promotion points system. If they
accumulate enough novice level promotion points, they will be promoted to the Sport Clydesdale
category. Unchanged will be the requirement that the racer weigh-in at each race at 200 pounds or
more. If you qualify, you may enter an event as either a Clydesdale or in your age/ability class,
but not both.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

"Snyperx" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VSnOa.1575$N7.606@sccrnsc03...
> I am just getting back into riding after a long hiatous and was wonder what kind fo riding is
> Clydesdale Riding??? I have been shopping for some new Rims and I saw a few that were suited for
> this kind fo riding. Anyone care to explain? Thanks.
>

> Snyperx

If you weigh in at 200 pounds or more, you are affectionately referred to as being a 'Clydesdale'
(And if by some chance you don't know what a Clydesdale is, it is a very large solid breed of
horse). Consequently it helps if, amongst other things, your rims are built strong enough to handle
200 pounds swinging around on top of it. Many of the 'lightweight' components and frames that you
find on bikes these days will have a very short lifespan if you weigh a bit more than 200 pounds.
--
Westie -He who can be a Clydesdale one day, a thoroughbred the next-

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:42:18 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you weigh in at 200 pounds or more, you are affectionately referred to as being a 'Clydesdale'
>(And if by some chance you don't know what a Clydesdale is, it is a very large solid breed of
>horse). Consequently it helps if, amongst other things, your rims are built strong enough to handle
>200 pounds swinging around on top of it. Many of the 'lightweight' components and frames that you
>find on bikes these days will have a very short lifespan if you weigh a bit more than 200 pounds.

It also helps if you can ride. <G>

A Clydesdale is a 200+ pound person who can hold his own on the trail or road. A 200+ pound person
who can't ride well is simply a "fat guy on a bike".

Barry (6'1" 230)

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

[snip]

> It also helps if you can ride. <G>
>
> A Clydesdale is a 200+ pound person who can hold his own on the trail

Sounds a bit risky to me however much you weigh. Good trick though :)

Phil (225 lb 6'1)

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email protected]> <B a r r y B u r k e J r .
<Keep it in the [email protected]>> spoke thusly...
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:42:18 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >If you weigh in at 200 pounds or more, you are affectionately referred to as being a 'Clydesdale'
> >(And if by some chance you don't know what a Clydesdale is, it is a very large solid breed of
> >horse). Consequently it helps if, amongst other things, your rims are built strong enough to
> >handle 200 pounds swinging around on top of it. Many of the 'lightweight' components and frames
> >that you find on bikes these days will have a very short lifespan if you weigh a bit more than
> >200 pounds.
>
> It also helps if you can ride. <G>
>
> A Clydesdale is a 200+ pound person who can hold his own on the trail or road. A 200+ pound person
> who can't ride well is simply a "fat guy on a bike".
>
> Barry (6'1" 230)

200+ does _not_ mean fat. when i weighed 210 (6'3") i was skinny as a rail. at 230, i am just
starting to get a bit of gut. while "a bit of gut" may be fat to some, i just consider it to be just
a little extra 'round the middle.

Sure, for somebody that is 5', 200 lbs would be on the fat side. but for 6'3", 200 lbs is on the
underweight side.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <Keep it in the [email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:42:18 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >If you weigh in at 200 pounds or more, you are affectionately referred to
as
> >being a 'Clydesdale' (And if by some chance you don't know what a
Clydesdale
> >is, it is a very large solid breed of horse). Consequently it helps if, amongst other things,
> >your rims are built strong enough to handle 200
pounds
> >swinging around on top of it. Many of the 'lightweight' components and frames that you find on
> >bikes these days will have a very short lifespan
if
> >you weigh a bit more than 200 pounds.
>
> It also helps if you can ride. <G>
>
> A Clydesdale is a 200+ pound person who can hold his own on the trail or road. A 200+ pound person
> who can't ride well is simply a "fat guy on a bike".

Being able to ride not withstanding, there's plenty of fat regular ol' horses misappropriating the
Clydesdale name.

> Sure, for somebody that is 5', 200 lbs would be on the fat side. but for 6'3", 200 lbs is on the
> underweight side.
> --
> ~Travis

He's done it again.

--
Craig (6'2" and 175 lbs) Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email protected]> spake thusly on or about Tue, 8
Jul 2003 10:56:29 UTC

-> A Clydesdale is a 200+ pound person who can hold his own on the trail -> or road. A 200+ pound
person who can't ride well is simply a "fat guy -> on a bike". -> -> Barry (6'1" 230)

having been 250 and 3% bodyfat I think you have confused weight/mass and fat. a fat guy is a fat guy
regardless of his mass or weight. If he is on a bike at all good for him.

I have averaged 25Km a day winter and summer over the last year including a couple trips with fresh
snow up the axles and several days with the temps below -35 C. these days I am 140 Kg and 2 M and
carrying a fair bit of extra lard but a lot less than I was three years back. once I get back down
to 120 Kg I would not even seem tubby.

given my own past of double centuries and cx riding I am a fat guy on a bike enjoying the trails and
single track using a down hill rim on the back to handle an odd wheelie drop. good news is i am on
the trails with my bike and having a darn good time.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:27:06 -0000, "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote:

>B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email protected]> spake thusly on or about Tue,
>8 Jul 2003 10:56:29 UTC
>
>-> A Clydesdale is a 200+ pound person who can hold his own on the trail -> or road. A 200+ pound
>person who can't ride well is simply a "fat guy -> on a bike". -> -> Barry (6'1" 230)
>
>having been 250 and 3% bodyfat I think you have confused weight/mass and fat. a fat guy is a fat
>guy regardless of his mass or weight. If he is on a bike at all good for him.

250 and 3% BF? <G> So you're in the bodyfat range of an elite NFL wide reciever, or elite
marathon runner?

How tall are you? How was the bodyfat measured?

Also, I didn't pick the 200 pound number, a sanctioning body did.

Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 9
Jul 2003 12:00:40 UTC

-> 250 and 3% BF? <G> So you're in the bodyfat range of an elite NFL -> wide reciever, or elite
marathon runner? -> -> How tall are you? How was the bodyfat measured? -> ->

I think you miss read if you think that is my current state of being

I am a tad over 6' 6" and I was tested by immersion the day before a bodybuilding competition. that
was two decades ago and now I am quite willing to admit I am fat but after a decade of normal
treatment for fibromyalgia packing on the lard I am now getting less so. I found out that difficulty
walking does not mean I cannot ride and dropping a drug that promotes growth of the fat pads has
helped me lose ~40 Kg (bout 90 lbs) over the past three years.

right now I am a 43 year old fat guy that rides winter and summer and maybe by the time I am 50 I
will be up to joining the local club and coming in last in some XC racing as a clyde but right now
they have no rhino class.

--

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:37:30 -0000, "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote:

>B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed,
>9 Jul 2003 12:00:40 UTC
>
>-> 250 and 3% BF? <G> So you're in the bodyfat range of an elite NFL -> wide reciever, or elite
>marathon runner? -> -> How tall are you? How was the bodyfat measured? -> ->
>
>I think you miss read if you think that is my current state of being
>
>I am a tad over 6' 6" and I was tested by immersion the day before a bodybuilding competition.

Oh! Serious or formerly serious bodybuilder! You're not "normal" then. Neeeevermind.... <G>.

I can see the 3% with no problem on someone with your pursuits. The wide receivers and marathoners
seem to be born with the low BF composition. Serious bodybuilders develop it.

Did you ride at that time? Was all that extra muscle on the upper body a detriment? Did you ever go
swimming with the 3% composition? Did you sink? <G>

Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <Keep it in the [email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu,
10 Jul 2003 21:31:16 UTC

-> Did you ride at that time? Was all that extra muscle on the upper -> body a detriment? Did you
ever go swimming with the 3% composition? -> Did you sink? <G>

I have never been a Class rider but yep i was riding. I have no idea when I learned to ride but I
was riding in paris in 66/67 before they booted nato. I suppose I had a big wind drag and extra
weight but I never came home last in a century ride.

Sinking wise i can still stand on the bottom of the deep end but at that time i could stretch out
along the bottom and any stroke that called for me to stay near the surface was much harder.

--

Snyperx wrote:
> I am just getting back into riding after a long hiatous and was wonder what kind fo riding is
> Clydesdale Riding??? I have been shopping for some new Rims and I saw a few that were suited for
> this kind fo riding. Anyone care to explain? Thanks.
>

> Snyperx

Think light.

John Spann