Gum rap sheet

Callistus Valer

Guest
DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before the
Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was pulled over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street,
Charlotte, about 1:45 a.m. May 27, 16 hours before the start of the race she helped cover for Fox
Sports. Gum, 29, said Monday she could not comment on the case. The arresting officer, R.C. Gormican
of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, said in a report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne Lane after
her 1997 Mazda 626 was seen speeding and following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed field
sobriety tests and took a breath test that showed her blood alcohol content was 0.11 percent, court
documents said. North Carolina's threshold for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was released on
$1,000 bond later that morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)

I am sorry to hear she has a problem with alcohol. But I think the same could be said for some of
the riders in the Tour, too. The issue is really whether she adds something to the broadcast (and
not just to the hardcore cycling fan).

Callistus Valerius wrote:

> DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
> tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before
> the Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was pulled over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street,
> Charlotte, about 1:45 a.m. May 27, 16 hours before the start of the race she helped cover for Fox
> Sports. Gum, 29, said Monday she could not comment on the case. The arresting officer, R.C.
> Gormican of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, said in a report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne
> Lane after her 1997 Mazda 626 was seen speeding and following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed
> field sobriety tests and took a breath test that showed her blood alcohol content was 0.11
> percent, court documents said. North Carolina's threshold for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was
> released on $1,000 bond later that morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)

Actually, finding out that she maybe has a life outside of being a lousy tour commentator makes me
like her (slightly) more.

> DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
> tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before
> the Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was
pulled
> over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street, Charlotte, about 1:45 a.m. May 27, 16 hours before
> the start of the race she helped cover for Fox Sports. Gum, 29, said Monday she could not comment
> on the case. The arresting officer, R.C. Gormican of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, said in a
> report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne Lane after her 1997 Mazda 626 was seen speeding and
> following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed field sobriety tests and took a breath test that
> showed her blood alcohol content was 0.11 percent, court documents said. North Carolina's
> threshold for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was released on $1,000 bond later that
> morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)

Just as long as she didn't run over any bicycles, parked or not :)

Gary wrote:
> I am sorry to hear she has a problem with alcohol. But I think the same could be said for some of
> the riders in the Tour, too. The issue is really whether she adds something to the broadcast (and
> not just to the hardcore cycling fan).

.11 does not constitute "a problem with alcohol." Being 0.11 while driving IS an indication of a
problem with driving while impaired. But I believe many many people have done it, and not been
caught. As crimes go, it is very very tame.

On 7/16/03 2:05 AM, in article [email protected], "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>> I am sorry to hear she has a problem with alcohol. But I think the same could be said for some of
>> the riders in the Tour, too. The issue is really whether she adds something to the broadcast (and
>> not just to the hardcore cycling fan).
>
> .11 does not constitute "a problem with alcohol." Being 0.11 while driving IS an indication of a
> problem with driving while impaired. But I believe many many people have done it, and not been
> caught. As crimes go, it is very very tame.

Especially since the difference between 0.11 and 0.08 could be waiting 15-30 minutes or having one
extra dinner roll.

My point is that when alcohol caused you to lose your job it IS a problem regardless. That extra
drink she had was NOT worth the professional cost.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My point is that when alcohol caused you to lose your job it IS a problem regardless. That extra
> drink she had was NOT worth the professional cost.

problem with too much usenet, you hypicritical asshole.

huh? you're right. we all mistakes. and that's what it was on her part. i would imagine she has
acknowledged that and moved. my original point was that we should not condemn her becuase of it and
simply look at her professional performance on OLN. Lighten up.

Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
> My point is that when alcohol caused you to lose your job it IS a problem regardless. That extra
> drink she had was NOT worth the professional cost.

Her bosses obviously do not know how to handle this petty situation when it occurs.

> Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

>>>.11 does not constitute "a problem with alcohol." Being 0.11 while driving IS an indication of a
>>>problem with driving while impaired. But I believe many many people have done it, and not been
>>>caught. As crimes go, it is very very tame.
>>>

>>Especially since the difference between 0.11 and 0.08 could be waiting 15-30 minutes or having one
>>extra dinner roll.

> DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
> tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before
> the Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was
pulled
> over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street, Charlotte, about 1:45 a.m. May 27, 16 hours before
> the start of the race she helped cover for Fox Sports. Gum, 29, said Monday she could not comment
> on the case. The arresting officer, R.C. Gormican of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, said in a
> report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne Lane after her 1997 Mazda 626 was seen speeding and
> following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed field sobriety tests and took a breath test that
> showed her blood alcohol content was 0.11 percent, court documents said. North Carolina's
> threshold for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was released on $1,000 bond later that
> morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)

She is not doing a good job but I bet she interviewed well for the gig. She
was probably excited to spend 3 weeks running around France and was super

Clovis Lark wrote:

> Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
> > My point is that when alcohol caused you to lose your job it IS a problem regardless. That extra
> > drink she had was NOT worth the professional cost.
>
> Her bosses obviously do not know how to handle this petty situation when it occurs.
>
> > Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

> >>Especially since the difference between 0.11 and 0.08 could be waiting 15-30 minutes or having
> >>one extra dinner roll.

Realize, she worked for Fox Sports (aka around here as the Fox Dork Worthless).

I mean, cmon on. Any network that gives Tom Arnold a job needs to be slapped and have their
broadcast license pulled.

Joe
--
#----------------------------------------------------------# Penguinix Consulting #
#----------------------------------------------------------# Software development, QA and testing. #

"Joseph Cipale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Realize, she worked for Fox Sports (aka around here as the Fox Dork Worthless).
>
> I mean, cmon on. Any network that gives Tom Arnold a job needs to be slapped and have their
> broadcast license pulled.

Unless he gets ratings which is what the game is all about.

Nick Burns wrote:
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
>>tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before
>>the Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was
>
> pulled
>
>>over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street, Charlotte, about 1:45 a.m. May 27, 16 hours before
>>the start of the race she helped cover for Fox Sports. Gum, 29, said Monday she could not comment
>>on the case. The arresting officer, R.C. Gormican of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, said in a
>>report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne Lane after her 1997 Mazda 626 was seen speeding and
>>following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed field sobriety tests and took a breath test that
>>showed her blood alcohol content was 0.11 percent, court documents said. North Carolina's
>>threshold for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was released on $1,000 bond later that
>>morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)
>

> She is not doing a good job but I bet she interviewed well for the gig. She
> was probably excited to spend 3 weeks running around France and was super

She seems to be a long-term OLN staffer. She anchored the Everest coverage earlier. I guess she
could have interviewed for the TdF gig all the same, but I'm not surprised to see her at the
"anchor" desk.

Joseph Cipale <[email protected]> wrote:
> Clovis Lark wrote:
>>
>> Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > My point is that when alcohol caused you to lose your job it IS a problem regardless. That
>> > extra drink she had was NOT worth the professional cost.
>>
>> Her bosses obviously do not know how to handle this petty situation when it occurs.

> Realize, she worked for Fox Sports (aka around here as the Fox Dork Worthless).

> I mean, cmon on. Any network that gives Tom Arnold a job needs to be slapped and have their
> broadcast license pulled.

Send them back to Oz...

> Joe
> --
> #----------------------------------------------------------# Penguinix Consulting #
> #----------------------------------------------------------# Software development, QA and testing.
> ## Linux support and training. # "Don't fear the penguin!" #
> #----------------------------------------------------------# Registered Linux user: #309247
> #http://counter.li.org # ----------------------------------------------------------#

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
> > tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before
> > the Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was
> pulled
> > over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street, Charlotte, about 1:45
a.m.
> > May 27, 16 hours before the start of the race she helped cover for Fox Sports. Gum, 29, said
> > Monday she could not comment on the case. The arresting officer, R.C. Gormican of the
> > Charlotte-Mecklenburg police,
said
> > in a report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne Lane after her 1997
Mazda
> > 626 was seen speeding and following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed field sobriety tests and
> > took a breath test that showed her blood
alcohol
> > content was 0.11 percent, court documents said. North Carolina's
threshold
> > for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was released on $1,000 bond later
that
> > morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)
>
> She is not doing a good job but I bet she interviewed well for the gig.
She
> was probably excited to spend 3 weeks running around France and was super

didn't.

Why or why not?

Did you go down on your boss? Maybe you did, maybe you didn't.

If you are going to attempt to defame a person, first ask Jesus what he would say. <VBG>

Dashii

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:13:21 GMT, "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Actually, finding out that she maybe has a life outside of being a lousy tour commentator makes me
>like her (slightly) more.

...as if being drunk constituted "having a life"....
---
Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:18:04 GMT, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

> She is not doing a good job but I bet she interviewed well for the gig. She
> was probably excited to spend 3 weeks running around France and was super

So in addition to being a bad drunk, she's also now a '****'. Not at all responsible or fair for you
to even imply that. I'm sure Phil Liggett wasn't as polished and smooth as he is now when he did his
first cycling 'gig'.
---
Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Gary wrote:
> > I am sorry to hear she has a problem with alcohol. But I think the same could be said for some
> > of the riders in the Tour, too. The issue is really whether she adds something to the broadcast
> > (and not just to the hardcore cycling fan).
>
> .11 does not constitute "a problem with alcohol." Being 0.11 while driving IS an indication of a
> problem with driving while impaired. But I believe many many people have done it, and not been
> caught. As crimes go, it is very very tame.
>
> --

It may be common, but it's not tame. In 2002, almost 18000 Americans were killed by alcohol-impaired
drivers. And achieving 0.11 would require a 160 pound man to drink at least five beers in one hour.
That's drunk.