Gum rap sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:170720031504502741%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:170720030819178229%[email protected]...
>
> > > There's no reason anyone should pick an art museum over a sports
event.
> > > They both have value.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Sports are entertainment.
>
> So is art.
>
> > So is a movie. If a someone values the multiplex as much as a museum
that
> > tells you a lot about them.
>
> Just to clarify, I don't put those two equally, nor do I put all sports above all art museums. I
> appreciate my wife's art more than I appreciate her ability to run back-to-back half marathons in
> the hills, but artistic talent is alot like athletic talent.

I've spent too much time doing both.

They are not the same, not even remotely close. Even the psychological aspects of athletics do not
use the same mental processes and the physical aspects are completely different.

How many professional athletes retire and go on to become artists? Very few. I can't even think of
one and I'm pretty good with unimportant facts like that.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> How many professional athletes retire and go on to become artists? Very
few.
> I can't even think of one and I'm pretty good with unimportant facts like that.

Rich Oliver

How many artists retire to become professional athletes? Probably less.

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > How many professional athletes retire and go on to become artists? Very
> few.
> > I can't even think of one and I'm pretty good with unimportant facts
> > that.
>
> Rich Oliver
>
> How many artists retire to become professional athletes? Probably less.

Who's Rich Oliver?

I can think of one now: Wayman Tisdale - decent NBA basketball player (long career), now he's a
semi-big jazz star (oxymoron in today's world).

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:11:58 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How many professional athletes retire and go on to become artists? Very few. I can't even think of
>one and I'm pretty good with unimportant facts like that.

Jack Johnson. If you consider surfing a sport and a musician an artist.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:170720031504502741%[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:170720030819178229%[email protected]...
>>
>> > > There's no reason anyone should pick an art museum over a sports
> event.
>> > > They both have value.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Sports are entertainment.
>>
>> So is art.
>>
>> > So is a movie. If a someone values the multiplex as much as a museum
> that
>> > tells you a lot about them.
>>
>> Just to clarify, I don't put those two equally, nor do I put all sports above all art museums. I
>> appreciate my wife's art more than I appreciate her ability to run back-to-back half marathons in
>> the hills, but artistic talent is alot like athletic talent.

> I've spent too much time doing both.

So have/do I.

> They are not the same, not even remotely close. Even the psychological aspects of athletics do not
> use the same mental processes and the physical aspects are completely different.

Incorrect. It is no fluke that noted sports psychologist Don Greene is also a pre-eminent expert
on preparing musicians for auditioning. In fact the mental aspects regarding focus and preparation
are remarkably similar. Physically, while the motions are different, (but then again they are
different among different sports as well) the basis of refining repetitive motions for maximum
results and keeping musculature/tendons healthy, the need for absolute focus while
training/practicing are the same.

> How many professional athletes retire and go on to become artists? Very few. I can't even think of
> one and I'm pretty good with unimportant facts like that.

This is like saying, how many basketball players retire and become soccer players, or how many
violinists retire and become tubists? Once you have spent a lifetime acquiring, refining skills for
a specific ability, it is extremely difficult, usually impossible to retool your body to do
something else. My hunch is that Armstrong would be as good a tennis player as he would be an
oboist: not very...

In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:170720031504502741%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Kurgan Gringioni
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:170720030819178229%[email protected]...
> >
> > > > There's no reason anyone should pick an art museum over a sports
> event.
> > > > They both have value.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Sports are entertainment.
> >
> > So is art.
> >
> > > So is a movie. If a someone values the multiplex as much as a museum
> that
> > > tells you a lot about them.
> >
> > Just to clarify, I don't put those two equally, nor do I put all sports above all art museums. I
> > appreciate my wife's art more than I appreciate her ability to run back-to-back half marathons
> > in the hills, but artistic talent is alot like athletic talent.
>
>
>
> I've spent too much time doing both.
>
> They are not the same, not even remotely close.

I never said they were the same, but appreciating the "talent" one is born with and/or develops, and
the respect for the talent, and understanding of that talent are similar.

-WG

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Incorrect. It is no fluke that noted sports psychologist Don Greene is also a pre-eminent expert
> on preparing musicians for auditioning. In fact the mental aspects regarding focus and preparation
> are remarkably similar. Physically, while the motions are different, (but then again they are
> different among different sports as well) the basis of refining repetitive motions for maximum
> results and keeping musculature/tendons healthy, the need for absolute focus while
> training/practicing are the same.

Dude -

Most of art requires thinking. Creating can be done anywhere, in the shower, while driving, eating.

Most of athletics requires doing. Can't move one's cycling ahead sitting in the shower.

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:11:58 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >How many professional athletes retire and go on to become artists? Very
few.
> >I can't even think of one and I'm pretty good with unimportant facts like that.
>
> Jack Johnson. If you consider surfing a sport and a musician an artist.

Exceptions rather than the rule. Warren claimed:

"artistic talent is alot like athletic talent."

I disagree. Of course one can have both, but I don't think they are correlative.

"Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:15:19 GMT, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > I can think of one now: Wayman Tisdale - decent NBA basketball player
(long
> > career), now he's a semi-big jazz star (oxymoron in today's world).
>
> Maurice Vlaminck, Emilio Croci-Torti and Peter Winnen became painters. Winnen is a rather
> successfull writer now (in Dutch).
>
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9t6u0f%24nv65%241%40ID-75468.news.dfnci
s.de
>

Interesting, but:

Exceptions rather than the rule. Warren claimed:

"artistic talent is alot like athletic talent."

I disagree. Of course one can have both, but I don't think they are correlative.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Exceptions rather than the rule. Warren claimed:
>
>
> "artistic talent is alot like athletic talent."
>
>
> I disagree. Of course one can have both, but I don't think they are correlative.

Perhaps not relevent, but they are similar in that: they are not usually well-compensated, and are
thus done recreationally; they are generally appreciated by others as entertainment.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > Exceptions rather than the rule. Warren claimed:
> >
> >
> > "artistic talent is alot like athletic talent."
> >
> >
> > I disagree. Of course one can have both, but I don't think they are correlative.
>
> Perhaps not relevent, but they are similar in that: they are not usually well-compensated, and are
> thus done recreationally; they are generally appreciated by others as entertainment.

Dumbass -

we're talking about athletic talent vs. artistic talent.

Not pay scales or cultural image.

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Incorrect. It is no fluke that noted sports psychologist Don Greene is also a pre-eminent expert
>> on preparing musicians for auditioning. In fact the mental aspects regarding focus and
>> preparation are remarkably similar. Physically, while the motions are different, (but then again
>> they are different among different sports as well) the basis of refining repetitive motions for
>> maximum results and keeping musculature/tendons healthy, the need for absolute focus while
>> training/practicing are the same.

> Dude -

Try to do better...

> Most of art requires thinking. Creating can be done anywhere, in the shower, while
> driving, eating.

Ask Armstrong about it. Ask him what Carmichael's job is?

> Most of athletics requires doing. Can't move one's cycling ahead sitting in the shower.

What do you think most artists would say regarding this? That their careers require doing, not
sitting in the shower?

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Dude -
>
> Try to do better...
>
> > Most of art requires thinking. Creating can be done anywhere, in the
shower,
> > while driving, eating.
>
> Ask Armstrong about it. Ask him what Carmichael's job is?
>
> > Most of athletics requires doing. Can't move one's cycling ahead sitting
in
> > the shower.
>
> What do you think most artists would say regarding this? That their careers require doing, not
> sitting in the shower?

Clovis -

what the hell are you talking about? Please explain.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>
>>>Exceptions rather than the rule. Warren claimed:
>>>
>>>
>>>"artistic talent is alot like athletic talent."
>>>
>>>
>>>I disagree. Of course one can have both, but I don't think they are correlative.
>>
>>Perhaps not relevent, but they are similar in that: they are not usually well-compensated, and are
>>thus done recreationally; they are generally appreciated by others as entertainment.
>
>
>
>
> Dumbass -
>
>
> we're talking about athletic talent vs. artistic talent.
>
>
> Not pay scales or cultural image.

Happy to help.

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>
> DUI Charge For Kirsten Gum Kirsten Gum, the local anchorwoman turned Fox NASCAR reporter, has a
> tentative court date in August following her arrest for driving while impaired the night before
> the Coca-Cola 600 race. Police said Gum was pulled over in the 1600 block of East Seventh Street,
> Charlotte, about 1:45 a.m. May 27, 16 hours before the start of the race she helped cover for Fox
> Sports. Gum, 29, said Monday she could not comment on the case. The arresting officer, R.C.
> Gormican of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, said in a report that Gum was stopped near Hawthorne
> Lane after her 1997 Mazda 626 was seen speeding and following an SUV too closely.Gum later failed
> field sobriety tests and took a breath test that showed her blood alcohol content was 0.11
> percent, court documents said. North Carolina's threshold for intoxication is 0.08percent.Gum was
> released on $1,000 bond later that morning.(That's Racin')(6-7-01)

Gum rapper

Status
Not open for further replies.