Scab labor bicycles!

On Dec 31, 12:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
> "If you are saving your money to buy a bicycle next season or know of
> any of your friends who are doing so, remember that the Victor,
> Victoria, and Rambler are 'scab' made and under the ban of organized
> labor."
>
> Further shocking details:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=GwotAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=victor+over...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

On Dec 31, 9:54 am, Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 12:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > "If you are saving your money to buy a bicycle next season or know of
> > any of your friends who are doing so, remember that the Victor,
> > Victoria, and Rambler are 'scab' made and under the ban of organized
> > labor."

> > Further shocking details:

> >http://books.google.com/books?id=GwotAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=victor+over...
> > orhttp://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

> Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
> books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
> some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

It should work natively in your browser, but it uses some of the
latest web technology. Update to the latest Explorer/Firefox/Opera and
you should be good to go.

Brian Huntley wrote:
> On Dec 31, 12:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> "If you are saving your money to buy a bicycle next season or know of
>> any of your friends who are doing so, remember that the Victor,
>> Victoria, and Rambler are 'scab' made and under the ban of organized
>> labor."
>>
>> Further shocking details:
>>
>> http://books.google.com/books?id=GwotAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=victor+over...
>> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

> Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
> books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
> some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

Click on the first URL and it pops right up. Hit the little plus magnifyer
to make the print bigger.

On Dec 31, 8:54 am, Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 12:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > "If you are saving your money to buy a bicycle next season or know of
> > any of your friends who are doing so, remember that the Victor,
> > Victoria, and Rambler are 'scab' made and under the ban of organized
> > labor."

> > Further shocking details:

> >http://books.google.com/books?id=GwotAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=victor+over...
> > orhttp://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

> Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
> books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
> some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

Dear Brian,

It should just pop up. On large documents, Google books can then slow
to a crawl when you try to page around, but there's no special
software to download.

Your header suggests that you're using Mozilla 4.0, which may be too
old to handle the bugs--

Er, to handle the features embraced by the google books interface.

Or if you're connecting from some business site, google books might be
blocked, but that seems unlikely, unless you work for an angry
publishing house.

The tinyurl address is small enough to scribble and test on another
computer:

http://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

I just installed Mozilla/Firefox (about two minutes, version 5.0). It
handles the google books page and I'm replying through it on google
groups.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Dec 31, 1:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 31, 8:54 am, Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 31, 12:33 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > > "If you are saving your money to buy a bicycle next season or know of
> > > any of your friends who are doing so, remember that the Victor,
> > > Victoria, and Rambler are 'scab' made and under the ban of organized
> > > labor."

> > > Further shocking details:

> > >http://books.google.com/books?id=GwotAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=victor+over...
> > > orhttp://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

> > Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
> > books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
> > some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

> Dear Brian,
>
> It should just pop up. On large documents, Google books can then slow
> to a crawl when you try to page around, but there's no special
> software to download.
>
> Your header suggests that you're using Mozilla 4.0, which may be too
> old to handle the bugs--
>
> Er, to handle the features embraced by the google books interface.
>
> Or if you're connecting from some business site, google books might be
> blocked, but that seems unlikely, unless you work for an angry
> publishing house.

Thanks, all. No joy with IE or a just-updated Firefox, so I'll assume
it's the corporate Nanny that's the problem. That gives me an exellect
excuse to punch out early and try from home.

Happy New Year.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Brian Huntley wrote:
>> On Dec 31, 12:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
>>> "If you are saving your money to buy a bicycle next season or know of
>>> any of your friends who are doing so, remember that the Victor,
>>> Victoria, and Rambler are 'scab' made and under the ban of organized
>>> labor."
>>>
>>> Further shocking details:
>>>
>>> http://books.google.com/books?id=GwotAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA126&dq=victor+over...
>>> orhttp://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

>> Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
>> books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
>> some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

> Click on the first URL and it pops right up. Hit the little plus magnifyer
> to make the print bigger.

To me it's only available in snippet view, so I assume Google adjusts
the copyright per IP adres or something

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 22:01:00 +0100, M-gineering
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Brian Huntley wrote:

>>> Carl: How exactly does one read one of the documents you link to via
>>> books.google.com? Do I request it at my local library, or is there
>>> some 'read online' gadget I'm missing?

>To me it's only available in snippet view, so I assume Google adjusts
>the copyright per IP adress or something

Dear Marten

That's odd indeed. Brian found that it was blocked at work, but I
haven't heard of Google changing from full to limited view.

http://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp

For me, it's full view, with options to download the whole 38.3 mb pdf
or view plain text. After signing out of Google, I can still see the
whole thing, so it doesn't seem to be a login problem.

Possibly the U.S. Industrial Commission is trying to prevent
foreigners from meddling in its deliberations?

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Dec 31 2007, 6:08 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> >To me it's only available in snippet view, so I assume Google adjusts
> >the copyright per IP adress or something

> Dear Marten
>
> That's odd indeed. Brian found that it was blocked at work, but I
> haven't heard of Google changing from full to limited view.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2cq7lp
>
> For me, it's full view, with options to download the whole 38.3 mb pdf
> or view plain text. After signing out of Google, I can still see the
> whole thing, so it doesn't seem to be a login problem.
>
> Possibly the U.S. Industrial Commission is trying to prevent
> foreigners from meddling in its deliberations?

Perhaps that is the case, indeed, for I cannot view them from home (in
Canada), either.