Labor charge on headset install

David L. Johnson wrote:
> Ain't necessarily. One of the few things I take a bike in for is a headset installation. Did so
> 3-4 months ago. Frame was a NOS Schwinn tandem I got at a swap meet. I measured, and decided it
> was 1.125", so got a fork and headset. Took headset and frame to local shop. Quoted a price of
> $35. Sounded OK to me. Waited weeks. Called the guy up, found out that he didn't have the
> reaming/facing tool he needed, so was waiting on that. Also told me it was originally some odd
> size 1" BMX standard, but that it was OK to do as 1.125. Another week or so, get a call. Seems
> that, after he got the tool, prepped the frame, while pressing in the cup it cracked. Got another
> from the manufacturer. It cracked, too. Put in a (better) headset. Guy must have spent hours on
> it, plus the tool, plus the headset. Final bill, $35.
>
> Yeah, I'm going back to them. REI in Conshohocken, PA, by the way.

That frame takes a standard BMX dimension headset, BTW.

r15757-<< While shops get blamed for lots of things that aren't their fault, they also make a lot of
mistakes that customers don't pick up on. Confusion! >><BR><BR>

'shops'...you have a pretty large paintbrush that you paint shops with...all are different.

r15757-<< Don't worry, I won't buy a wheel then bring it back two years later--I've never done
anything like that in my life. >><BR><BR>

We guarantee the wheels we build for the useful life of the rim..meaning, if we built it, even two
years ago, and it isn't 'wacked', we'll true it for free..We just look for our sticker. But if it
has some huge dent in it..then all bet's are off.

"S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "A. Antonovitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:050220042223365722%[email protected]...
> > What is a reasonable charge to install a headset on a frame/fork with no headset present? I was
> > quoted$40 at a local LBS- not including the headset. Seems high to me. Any comment would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Tony A.
>
> Seems high to me. Is this top quality stuff?? If it's average quality stuff, I'd say $20 would be
> more typical. If you've got quality stuff and it's a good shop, $40 might be worth it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott..

I agree with everything you wrote so you can rest peacefully tonight. I just want to comment on the
$20 being typical...

Unfortunately, $20 is much too high for installing a headset particularly when 95% of shops only
press the cups/races into the headtube. $20 is no fortune but it's not chump change either. It's too
much money for such a small service. This is five minutes work which means that you are paying $240
per hour! If they are also removing a headset then it's a more reasonable price but you must also be
warned that most bike shops will probably scratch and ding your frame in the process. Good bike
shops exist but they are few and far between so when you find one, don't neglect them.

A good customer in a good bike shop most likely would or should receive a service like
this for free.

Dave