Carrizo Gorge ~VIDEO~

> Could I get a few folks who have it working to tell me what they have it running on, as well as
> those having problems.

1.8 GH, Win XP Pro, 512 ram, ATI AIW Radeon 8500 vid card.

Choppy in WMP, Choppy in ATI File Player, but smooth in Quicktime 6.4 (great video, btw). Would
DirectX have something to it maybe?

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:14:00 -0500, "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Why does the video play "chopilly" on my machine? It goes for 1 sec, then stops for one sec, and
> >goes again, and the cycle repeats. I have an AMD Athlon Tbird 1800 w/ 512MB DDR with few
> >processes running. The sound is fine.
>
> Hmm trying to figure this one out. I have it running on a W2K server, with Media Player 7 on a jo
> blow Video Card and a XP with AMD Athlon 2400+, 512MB, and Radeon AIW8500DV with Media Player 9
>
> Could I get a few folks who have it working to tell me what they have it running on, as well as
> those having problems.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

WMP v9 runs fine, QuickTime 6.4 runs fine, RealOne Player v2 runs fine, Nero Showtime v1.5
runs fine.

Dell Precision Notebook
2.4 GHz Pentium 4M 1 GB RAM NVidia Quadro4 700 GoGL Graphics (Video) WinXP Pro Service Pack 1

--
Pete Rissler http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/ http://www.tccycling.com

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:25:07 GMT, [email protected]
(Bill Porter) wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:14:00 -0500, "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Why does the video play "chopilly" on my machine? It goes for 1 sec, then stops for one sec, and
>>goes again, and the cycle repeats. I have an AMD Athlon Tbird 1800 w/ 512MB DDR with few processes
>>running. The sound is fine.
>
>Hmm trying to figure this one out. I have it running on a W2K server, with Media Player 7 on a jo
>blow Video Card and a XP with AMD Athlon 2400+, 512MB, and Radeon AIW8500DV with Media Player 9
>
>Could I get a few folks who have it working to tell me what they have it running on, as well as
>those having problems.
>
>Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Why I did not find anything difinitive there are a lot of support articles that point to a possible
issue with DirectX the video driver and a bug in WMP9 (Of course). So if you make sure you are using
the latest version of DirectX, (9.0b I think), and check your video card's website for an updated
driver, it might fix it.

Why just the latest video? The only thing I can thing of is I used some new effects and new opening
which was orginally rendered at 60fps. All this may want to use some previously never called upon
DirectX function. Of course it was all crunched into an MPG format at 29.97 so it should not matter.

Bill "There always the Mac" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

On 2004-01-13, Bill Porter penned:

> Why I did not find anything difinitive there are a lot of support articles that point to a
> possible issue with DirectX the video driver and a bug in WMP9 (Of course). So if you make sure
> you are using the latest version of DirectX, (9.0b I think), and check your video card's website
> for an updated driver, it might fix it.
>
> Why just the latest video? The only thing I can thing of is I used some new effects and new
> opening which was orginally rendered at 60fps. All this may want to use some previously never
> called upon DirectX function. Of course it was all crunched into an MPG format at 29.97 so it
> should not matter.

Just saw the problem myself -- ran great on quicktime and winamp 5 on my machine. Eric tried to open
it with windows media player and instantly asked me if it was supposed to be that choppy.

Er, but, come to think of it, it was the "fall" video that he was watching, not the latest. Maybe
it's not a recent problem after all?

--
monique

Bill Porter wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:14:00 -0500, "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Why does the video play "chopilly" on my machine? It goes for 1 sec, then stops for one sec, and
>> goes again, and the cycle repeats. I have an AMD Athlon Tbird 1800 w/ 512MB DDR with few
>> processes running. The sound is fine.
>
> Hmm trying to figure this one out. I have it running on a W2K server, with Media Player 7 on a jo
> blow Video Card and a XP with AMD Athlon 2400+, 512MB, and Radeon AIW8500DV with Media Player 9
>
> Could I get a few folks who have it working to tell me what they have it running on, as well as
> those having problems.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Choppy on W2K / WMP 9 / Athlon t'bird 1000 / 512 MB ram / ATI 8 MB card

J2

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:25:07 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:14:00 -0500, "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Why does the video play "chopilly" on my machine? It goes for 1 sec, then stops for one sec, and
> >>goes again, and the cycle repeats. I have an AMD Athlon Tbird 1800 w/ 512MB DDR with few
> >>processes running. The sound is fine.
> >
> >Hmm trying to figure this one out. I have it running on a W2K server, with Media Player 7 on a jo
> >blow Video Card and a XP with AMD Athlon 2400+, 512MB, and Radeon AIW8500DV with Media Player 9
> >
> >Could I get a few folks who have it working to tell me what they have it running on, as well as
> >those having problems.
> >
> >Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>
> Why I did not find anything difinitive there are a lot of support articles that point to a
> possible issue with DirectX the video driver and a bug in WMP9 (Of course). So if you make sure
> you are using the latest version of DirectX, (9.0b I think), and check your video card's website
> for an updated driver, it might fix it.
>
> Why just the latest video? The only thing I can thing of is I used some new effects and new
> opening which was orginally rendered at 60fps. All this may want to use some previously never
> called upon DirectX function. Of course it was all crunched into an MPG format at 29.97 so it
> should not matter.
>
> Bill "There always the Mac" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

It runs fine here, Bill. On Media Player v7.01 and AIW 8500DV with Direct X
9.0b. But then it should since it's the same card you used.

It's a shame they closed that trail. It looked to be a fun ride ! Any chance they'll open it again ?

The music was from a "Western". What was the name of that movie ? It's been bugging me for
3 days now.

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ MBrundage@ease ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Er, but, come to think of it, it was the "fall" video that he was watching, not the latest. Maybe
> it's not a recent problem after all?

Actually, I too had the same problem with the 'fall' video....must have been rendered in the
same format.

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:25:07 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:14:00 -0500, "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Why does the video play "chopilly" on my machine? It goes for 1 sec, then stops for one sec, and
> >>goes again, and the cycle repeats. I have an AMD Athlon Tbird 1800 w/ 512MB DDR with few
> >>processes running. The sound is fine.
> >
> >Hmm trying to figure this one out. I have it running on a W2K server, with Media Player 7 on a jo
> >blow Video Card and a XP with AMD Athlon 2400+, 512MB, and Radeon AIW8500DV with Media Player 9
> >
> >Could I get a few folks who have it working to tell me what they have it running on, as well as
> >those having problems.
> >
> >Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com
>
> Why I did not find anything difinitive there are a lot of support articles that point to a
> possible issue with DirectX the video driver and a bug in WMP9 (Of course). So if you make sure
> you are using the latest version of DirectX, (9.0b I think), and check your video card's website
> for an updated driver, it might fix it.
>
> Why just the latest video? The only thing I can thing of is I used some new effects and new
> opening which was orginally rendered at 60fps. All this may want to use some previously never
> called upon DirectX function. Of course it was all crunched into an MPG format at 29.97 so it
> should not matter.
>
> Bill "There always the Mac" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final video ( avi format if PC
based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the version 9 codec ( meaning all viewers must be using
the current version 9 codec--but this "is" a free download). If you had an MMS server, you could
create an instant on stream providing a CBR multi bit rate stream running 600kps, 300 kps and 100
kps ( meaning any one with broadband will get the fastest and highest quality video their connection
speed will allow). If you want to encode for this, I can drop your file on my mms server and show
you. For 56 k users, having them do a download for playback later is the best option, this allowing
the quality of at least 100 kps. Mpegs stink for video quality compared to what you can accomplish
with Windows media videos.

Regards, Dan Volker

On 2004-01-14, Dan Volker penned:

> Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final video ( avi format if PC
> based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the version 9 codec ( meaning all viewers must be
> using the current version 9 codec--but this "is" a free download). If you had an MMS server, you
> could create an instant on stream providing a CBR multi bit rate stream running 600kps, 300 kps
> and 100 kps ( meaning any one with broadband will get the fastest and highest quality video their
> connection speed will allow). If you want to encode for this, I can drop your file on my mms
> server and show you. For 56 k users, having them do a download for playback later is the best
> option, this allowing the quality of at least 100 kps. Mpegs stink for video quality compared to
> what you can accomplish with Windows media videos.

Please don't make me use wimp. please. I hate that ****.

(Is the version 9 codec even available for, say, mac users?)

--
monique

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:21:06 -0500, "M Brundage"
<[email protected]> wrote:

<Big SNIP>

>It's a shame they closed that trail. It looked to be a fun ride ! Any chance they'll open
>it again ?
>
>The music was from a "Western". What was the name of that movie ? It's been bugging me for 3
>days now.

The music is the theme from the Clintwood Classic "The Good, Bad, and Ugly"

There are quite a few people, they do not expect the line to profitable. Either that or the next
tunnel to collaspe will most likely shut it down. This could open it back up for hikers, bikers and
other tourists.

-Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

What a double crock of ****.

Dan Volker wrote:

>>www.mountainbikebill.com
>

> Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final video ( avi format if PC
> based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the version 9 codec ( meaning all viewers must be
> using the current version 9 codec--but this "is" a free download). If you had an MMS server, you
> could create an instant on stream providing a CBR multi bit rate stream running 600kps, 300 kps
> and 100 kps ( meaning any one with broadband will get the fastest and highest quality video their
> connection speed will allow). If you want to encode for this, I can drop your file on my mms
> server and show you. For 56 k users, having them do a download for playback later is the best
> option, this allowing the quality of at least 100 kps. Mpegs stink for video quality compared to
> what you can accomplish with Windows media videos.

Greg

Bill Porter wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:21:06 -0500, "M Brundage" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> The music is the theme from the Clintwood Classic "The Good, Bad, and Ugly"
>
> -Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

I believe this is his first "hit" movie! I remember seeing it when I was 6 yrs. old (35 yrs ago!).

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On 2004-01-14, Dan Volker penned:
>
>>Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final video ( avi format if PC
>>based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the version 9 codec ( meaning all viewers must be
>>using the current version 9 codec--but this "is" a free download). If you had an MMS server, you
>>could create an instant on stream providing a CBR multi bit rate stream running 600kps, 300 kps
>>and 100 kps ( meaning any one with broadband will get the fastest and highest quality video their
>>connection speed will allow). If you want to encode for this, I can drop your file on my mms
>>server and show you. For 56 k users, having them do a download for playback later is the best
>>option, this allowing the quality of at least 100 kps. Mpegs stink for video quality compared to
>>what you can accomplish with Windows media videos.
>>

> Please don't make me use wimp. please. I hate that ****.
>
> (Is the version 9 codec even available for, say, mac users?)

WiMP SUX! Resist any temptation to change formats, Bill.

Miles

Bill Porter wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:21:06 -0500, "M Brundage" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> <Big SNIP>
>
>>It's a shame they closed that trail. It looked to be a fun ride ! Any chance they'll open
>>it again ?
>>
>>The music was from a "Western". What was the name of that movie ? It's been bugging me for 3
>>days now.
>

> The music is the theme from the Clintwood Classic "The Good, Bad, and Ugly"

By Ennio Morricone, I have the vinyl version of the soundtrack, classic.

Greg

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:27:45 -0500, "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final
> video (
> >avi format if PC based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the
> version 9
> >codec ( meaning all viewers must be using the current version 9
> codec--but
> >this "is" a free download).
>
> >Mpegs stink for video quality compared to what you can accomplish
> with
> >Windows media videos.
>
> What a double crock of ****.

Its easy to prove....All I need is the original AVI file, and I can encode it and drop it on my
stream server---it will look far better than any mpeg which can do a reasonable "progressive
download". For 56 k modem users, who don't have the connection speed for worthwhile streaming, it
can supply much higher quality downloads in much smaller downloads. Again, call it a crock all you
want, but its very easy to prove if you "really" wanted to know.

Regards, Dan V

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-01-14, Dan Volker penned:
> >
> > Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final video ( avi format if PC
> > based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the version 9 codec ( meaning all viewers must be
> > using the current version 9 codec--but this "is" a free download). If you had an MMS server, you
> > could create an instant on stream providing a CBR multi bit rate stream running 600kps, 300 kps
> > and 100 kps ( meaning any one with broadband will get the fastest and highest quality video
> > their connection speed will allow). If you want to encode for this, I can drop your file on my
> > mms server and show you. For 56 k users, having them do a download for playback later is the
> > best option, this allowing the quality of at least 100 kps. Mpegs stink for video quality
> > compared to what you can accomplish with Windows media videos.
> >

> Please don't make me use wimp. please. I hate that ****.
>
> (Is the version 9 codec even available for, say, mac users?)

Yes :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/Macintosh/osx/default.aspx

Regards, Dan V

> --
> monique

news:R02Nb.9583$%[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote:
> >
> >>www.mountainbikebill.com
> >

> > Bill, You can achieve much better video quality by rendering your final video
(
> > avi format if PC based) directly to Windows Media Video, with the
version 9
> > codec ( meaning all viewers must be using the current version 9
codec--but
> > this "is" a free download). If you had an MMS server, you could create an instant on stream
providing a
> > CBR multi bit rate stream running 600kps, 300 kps and 100 kps ( meaning
any
> > one with broadband will get the fastest and highest quality video their connection speed will
> > allow). If you want to encode for this, I can drop your file on my mms server and show you. For
> > 56 k users, having them do a download for playback later is the best option, this allowing the
> > quality of at least 100 kps. Mpegs stink for video quality compared to what you can accomplish
> > with Windows media videos.
> >

> Greg

Are you using a computer or a slide rule ? At some point, you go with what works better--if it
really matters.

Dan V

On 2004-01-14, Dan Volker penned:

>> Greg
>
> Are you using a computer or a slide rule ? At some point, you go with what works better--if it
> really matters.

At some point, you realize that not having access to the specs of your data formats means that your
archives are at the mercy of a company whose job is to make money, not to maintain viewers for your
data. Are you really willing to bet not only that the manufacturer will stay in business, but that
they'll keep maintaining tools to view your data long after the profitability's gone?

At some point, if you care about always being able to view your data, you use open formats.

--
monique