East German Campagnolo

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tectoron, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Tectoron

    Tectoron Guest

    For some months ago I bought a rear derailleur on Ebay, it was a (not
    perfect)copy of the famous Campagnolo Super record, but this one was
    made in former East Germany.
    The derailleur has almost the same weight, but no titanium bolts and
    the detail work is not very beautiful. The derailleur is called
    "Tectoron"(I like the name).

    Does anyone know anything about why campag derailleurs was made inside
    the communist block?

    Michael
    Sweden

    Tags:

  2. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On 18 Aug 2004 00:35:10 -0700, weaholm@hotmail.com (Tectoron) wrote:

    >Does anyone know anything about why campag derailleurs was made inside
    >the communist block?
    >
    >Michael
    >Sweden

    Because the former communist states beleived that "intellectual
    property" was theft, too :)

    They made copies of bigger things than Campag derailleurs, the Tupolev
    TU4 was a direct copy of the Boeing B29.

    The reason why the communist bloc collapsed was that they copied lousy
    shifting Campag units instead of Suntour. This caused the factory
    workers, who all bicycled to work, to arrive in a bad mood, affecting
    productivity and quality assurance. The knock on effect of this one
    small error of judgment was an unsustainable economy and a military
    equipped with poor performing, and frequently broken, ordnance.

    So, next time you're all complaining about Shimano changing their
    groupsets before you've even got around to buying the (now obsolete)
    last one, remember that it was that kind of marketing driven
    innovation which won the cold war!

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  3. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    weaholm@hotmail.com (Tectoron) wrote in message news:<ac5cd9f2.0408172335.4fa93015@posting.google.com>...
    > For some months ago I bought a rear derailleur on Ebay, it was a (not
    > perfect)copy of the famous Campagnolo Super record, but this one was
    > made in former East Germany.
    > The derailleur has almost the same weight, but no titanium bolts and
    > the detail work is not very beautiful. The derailleur is called
    > "Tectoron"(I like the name).
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about why campag derailleurs was made inside
    > the communist block?
    >
    > Michael
    > Sweden

    please post a picture of the tectoron

  4. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    Kinky Cowboy <user@domain.com> wrote in message news:<kn66i0ho70vbt5i0e32p6v8vd0j5ah04ki@4ax.com>...
    > On 18 Aug 2004 00:35:10 -0700, weaholm@hotmail.com (Tectoron) wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know anything about why campag derailleurs was made inside
    > >the communist block?
    > >
    > >Michael
    > >Sweden

    > Because the former communist states beleived that "intellectual
    > property" was theft, too :)
    >
    > They made copies of bigger things than Campag derailleurs, the Tupolev
    > TU4 was a direct copy of the Boeing B29.
    >
    > The reason why the communist bloc collapsed was that they copied lousy
    > shifting Campag units instead of Suntour. This caused the factory
    > workers, who all bicycled to work, to arrive in a bad mood, affecting
    > productivity and quality assurance. The knock on effect of this one
    > small error of judgment was an unsustainable economy and a military
    > equipped with poor performing, and frequently broken, ordnance.
    >
    > So, next time you're all complaining about Shimano changing their
    > groupsets before you've even got around to buying the (now obsolete)
    > last one, remember that it was that kind of marketing driven
    > innovation which won the cold war!
    >

    > Kinky Cowboy*
    >
    > *Batteries not included
    > May contain traces of nuts
    > Your milage may vary

    Didn't the Russki's do a simmilar thing with the volvo sedan? Maybe
    Holywood just used volvo's to represent russian cars?

  5. big Pete

    big Pete New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004

    The Lada was a copy of the Italian Fiat 124 sedan.

    http://www.autosoviet.altervista.org/main-english.htm

  6. SMMB

    SMMB Guest

    "big Pete" <big.Pete.1b775y@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> a écrit dans le
    message de :

    > Evan Evans Wrote:
    > >
    > > Didn't the Russki's do a simmilar thing with the volvo sedan? Maybe
    > > Holywood just used volvo's to represent russian cars?

    > The Lada was a copy of the Italian Fiat 124 sedan.
    >
    > http://www.autosoviet.altervista.org/main-english.htm

    A copy, yes, but built in Togliattigrad (tribute to Fiat in renaming it,
    still that way), and was designed by Fiat, using mostly Fiat tooling, but
    mostly Soviet and Russian produced parts.

    This was not a case of appropriating any intellectual property.

    BTW, Chevrolets made in India and Russia, Renaults made in Russia, etc.,
    etc., are the norm today, like VW's and Toyotas in the US.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy
    Paris FR

  7. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >A copy, yes, but built in Togliattigrad (tribute to Fiat in renaming it,
    >still that way), and was designed by Fiat, using mostly Fiat tooling, but
    >mostly Soviet and Russian produced parts.
    >
    >This was not a case of appropriating any intellectual property.

    This transaction is the reason most Italian cars of the 60s and 70s rust so
    badly. With little hard currency the Russians paid for the plant with
    steel-crappy Russian steel that the Italians used to make millions of Fiats,
    Lancias, and Alfas which all then rusted into dust.
    Phil Brown

  8. "SMMB" <leurre@free.fr> wrote in message news:<cg09mu$oc1$1@news.tiscali.fr>...
    > "big Pete" <big.Pete.1b775y@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> a écrit dans le
    > message de :
    > >
    > > Evan Evans Wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Didn't the Russki's do a simmilar thing with the volvo sedan? Maybe
    > > > Holywood just used volvo's to represent russian cars?

    > > The Lada was a copy of the Italian Fiat 124 sedan.
    > >
    > > http://www.autosoviet.altervista.org/main-english.htm
    > >

    > A copy, yes, but built in Togliattigrad (tribute to Fiat in renaming it,
    > still that way), and was designed by Fiat, using mostly Fiat tooling, but
    > mostly Soviet and Russian produced parts.
    >
    > This was not a case of appropriating any intellectual property.

    Similarly Fiat licensed the 125 design for production by FSO in Poland
    - branded PolskiFiat.

    These were imported into the UK in the 1970s and were of sligtly
    superior finish, build quality and longevity than Ladas (though only
    slighly!).

    See http://www.autohistories.com/fso/fiats.html

    Andrew Webster

  9. Hugh Fenton

    Hugh Fenton Guest

    "Andrew Webster" <a.webster@littleheath.org.uk> wrote in message
    > "SMMB" <leurre@free.fr> wrote in message

    > > "big Pete" <big.Pete.1b775y@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> a écrit dans

    le
    > > message de :

    > > > The Lada was a copy of the Italian Fiat 124 sedan.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.autosoviet.altervista.org/main-english.htm
    > > >

    > > A copy, yes, but built in Togliattigrad (tribute to Fiat in renaming it,
    > > still that way), and was designed by Fiat, using mostly Fiat tooling,

    but
    > > mostly Soviet and Russian produced parts.
    > >
    > > This was not a case of appropriating any intellectual property.
    > >

    > Similarly Fiat licensed the 125 design for production by FSO in Poland
    > - branded PolskiFiat.
    >
    > These were imported into the UK in the 1970s and were of sligtly
    > superior finish, build quality and longevity than Ladas (though only
    > slighly!).
    >
    > See http://www.autohistories.com/fso/fiats.html
    >
    > Andrew Webster

    If this means that the quality was WORSE than FIAT in the 70's it must have
    been something to behold! My 1970's LANCIA rusted noticeably in 12 hours if
    left in the rain.

    Hugh Fenton

  10. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 18 Aug 2004 19:21:14 GMT, philcycles@aol.communged (Phil Brown) wrote:

    >>A copy, yes, but built in Togliattigrad (tribute to Fiat in renaming it,
    >>still that way), and was designed by Fiat, using mostly Fiat tooling, but
    >>mostly Soviet and Russian produced parts.
    >>
    >>This was not a case of appropriating any intellectual property.

    >This transaction is the reason most Italian cars of the 60s and 70s rust so
    >badly. With little hard currency the Russians paid for the plant with
    >steel-crappy Russian steel that the Italians used to make millions of Fiats,
    >Lancias, and Alfas which all then rusted into dust.

    Don't forget the labor disputes at the time - those included sabotage like
    chlorine tablets in metal treatment vats.

    Ron
    former X1/9 owner