For quill stem fans - a cautionary tale

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David E. Belcher, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Off to collect my race bike after work today now that the bike shop
    have managed to remove my stem. It was always a tight fit with the old
    Cr-Mo fork, but got well & truly jammed in the Time Sprint carbon forks
    I recently purchased and fitted. Turns out that the fact that it was a
    painted stem (not a cheap & nasty one either, but a Synthesis-style 3T
    one) was to blame - the extra thickness of the coat of paint made it
    wedge tight in the steerer, and once the mechanics at the shop heated
    it following decapitation of the stem with a saw (allowing them to
    separate fork from h/set & frame) - to burn off the coat of paint - it
    came out without any grief! Needless to say, the replacement stem is a
    nice plain silver one (3T again, an actual Synthesis this time)....
    Moral of the story - if you prefer traditional quill stems, don't buy
    one with a painted shaft!

    David Belcher

    Tags:

  2. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    And, perhaps, a very light coat of vaseline when fitting, to prevent
    corrosion ..

  3. R. Murphy wrote:

    > And, perhaps, a very light coat of vaseline when fitting, to prevent
    > corrosion ..

    I did actually grease said stem before fitting. Fat lot of good that
    did! :-(

    David Belcher

  4. David E. Belcher <deb107_york@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > R. Murphy wrote:

    >> And, perhaps, a very light coat of vaseline when fitting, to prevent
    >> corrosion ..

    > I did actually grease said stem before fitting. Fat lot of good that
    > did! :-(

    Grease isn't good enough. What you need is copper anti-seize
    compound. My tin of it, made by Rock Oil, says it's a bentone grease
    with copper added. Has an opaque bronze colour. Haven't had a seizing
    problem since I first started using it some twenty years ago.

    --
    Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Share This Page