La Dolce Vita

>From: "Steven L. Sheffield"

>Sean Kelly, Martin Early, and Stephen Roche are Irish, as in Republic of ...
>
>They are not from any of the 4 nations in the United Kingdom (England,
>Scotland, Wales, or the 7 counties of Northern Ireland).

I knew I was going to hear about that. Unwisely omitted "if you include
Ireland"; and I do know better from family heritage (how many "t's").

Thank you for the correction.
--Tom Paterson

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Steven L. Sheffield"

> >Sean Kelly, Martin Early, and Stephen Roche are Irish, as in Republic of

> >They are not from any of the 4 nations in the United Kingdom (England,
> >Scotland, Wales, or the 7 counties of Northern Ireland).

> I knew I was going to hear about that. Unwisely omitted "if you include
> Ireland"; and I do know better from family heritage (how many "t's").
>
> Thank you for the correction.
> --Tom Paterson

Real Irish would never think to include Ireland with the UK.

Brian Lafferty

>From: "B. Lafferty"

>Real Irish would never think to include Ireland with the UK.

Did you ever actually meet Lance Armstrong? Or see him in person, say closer
than a race podium or some such? Have any personal dealings at all?

I'm Scotch Irish and already: 1) admitted my error; and 2) thanked my
corrector, Mr. Sheffield.

Get any positive "dope" tests or confessions, or see any news articles about
racers being found in possession recently? --TP

On 07/31/2004 12:50 PM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Paterson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> From: "B. Lafferty"

>> Real Irish would never think to include Ireland with the UK.

> Did you ever actually meet Lance Armstrong? Or see him in person, say closer
> than a race podium or some such? Have any personal dealings at all?
>
> I'm Scotch Irish and already: 1) admitted my error; and 2) thanked my
> corrector, Mr. Sheffield.

Then as long as I'm correcting ... It's Scots-Irish (which is what I claim
as heritage, despite my very English surname).

Mother's side - Scots-Irish and Scottish (Bellah derived from
Ballagh/Bulloch, Rymer, and Green).

Father's side - English (Sheffield & Gregory)

> Get any positive "dope" tests or confessions, or see any news articles about
> racers being found in possession recently? --TP

I wonder what Lafferty will make of this:

Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul30news3

Of the 189 medical checkups performed at the start of the Tour, the average
hematocrit was 44.8% and the average haemoglobin was 14.9g/dl. As the Tour
progressed, there were 107 additional blood controls carried out before July
13, which showed averages of 43.3% for hematocrit and 14.6g/dl for
haemoglobin. During the last week of the Tour, 80 blood controls were
performed, and the average hematocrit and haemoglobin were 42.3% and
14.1g/dl respectively.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Rats ratting out rats, that how you are going to catch the dopers,
criminals, terrorists etc. There are probably lots of Rats in Guantanamo
Bay ratting out other rats right now. You don't have to like them, but you
have to listen to what they say, because there is always a chance there is
some truth to what they are saying.

Maybe one day Dr. Ferrari will turn into a rat.

"Jack Hollis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 30 Jul 2004 22:53:58 -0700, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >So if Simeoni cheated, and if Ferrari helped him cheat
> >(which I don't know, but suppose it were true), Simeoni should
> >take a fall to protect Ferrari? How does protecting someone
> >who facilitates cheating (hypothetically) preserve Simeoni's
> >self-respect?

> Take the fall? Simeoni got caught so he already took the fall. It's
> the process of making a deal for a reduces sentence in order to rat
> out Ferrari that I find to be a problem. If Simeoni is telling the
> truth, I don't imagine that Ferrari came to him and made him take the
> drugs. Simeoni is responsibe for his actions and he's trying to get
> off easy by turning state's evidence. That's what a RAT is.

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BD31553E.3F513%[email protected]...
> On 07/31/2004 12:50 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Tom Paterson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> From: "B. Lafferty"

> >> Real Irish would never think to include Ireland with the UK.

> > Did you ever actually meet Lance Armstrong? Or see him in person, say

closer
> > than a race podium or some such? Have any personal dealings at all?
> >
> > I'm Scotch Irish and already: 1) admitted my error; and 2) thanked my
> > corrector, Mr. Sheffield.

> Then as long as I'm correcting ... It's Scots-Irish (which is what I claim
> as heritage, despite my very English surname).
>
> Mother's side - Scots-Irish and Scottish (Bellah derived from
> Ballagh/Bulloch, Rymer, and Green).
>
> Father's side - English (Sheffield & Gregory)
>

> > Get any positive "dope" tests or confessions, or see any news articles

about
> > racers being found in possession recently? --TP

> I wonder what Lafferty will make of this:
>
> Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul30news3
>
> Of the 189 medical checkups performed at the start of the Tour, the

average
> hematocrit was 44.8% and the average haemoglobin was 14.9g/dl. As the Tour
> progressed, there were 107 additional blood controls carried out before

July
> 13, which showed averages of 43.3% for hematocrit and 14.6g/dl for
> haemoglobin. During the last week of the Tour, 80 blood controls were
> performed, and the average hematocrit and haemoglobin were 42.3% and
> 14.1g/dl respectively.

Why, the doping problem has been solved!! Seriously, given value
manipulations and the use of preparation not possible to detect, I suspect
the problem is far from solved. Some will say that this indicates the
playing field may be getting more level, but, IF so, is that because of
fewer drugs or that all are aware of and using what's available and
undetectable.

I think this evening I'm going to put on a tape of Cunego winning the Giro,
pour myself a glass of Jameson---neat---and contemplate the future
liberation of the Bushmill's distillery.

> On 31 Jul 2004 14:28:35 GMT, [email protected]ospam (Tom Paterson)
> wrote:
>
> >>From: [email protected] (Steve Larsson)

> >>after all, what does the uk have to do
> >>with cycling?

> >Chris Boardman, Sean Kelly, Sean Yates, Malcom Elliot, Martin Early,

Stephen
> >Roche, Graeme Obree.

> Sean Kelly, Martin Early, Stephen Roche?
>
> JT

Irish to people of "Scotch" descent.

Tom Paterson wrote:
>>From: Stewart Fleming

>>In the long run, the notion that someone should be treated with contempt
>>for revealing information that only a limited number of people know, but
>>which would be valuable to a wider audience, is contemptible. It's the
>>same attitude that raises many social conflicts at high school, for example.

> Are you talking "test answers" here? --TP

No, the situation where a student is mistreated by others, informs
teaching staff and is then further mistreated for "being a snitch".

>From: Stewart Fleming

>> Are you talking "test answers" here? --TP

>No, the situation where a student is mistreated by others, informs
>teaching staff and is then further mistreated for "being a snitch".

Plz excuse missing <g> in earlier post. --TP

(I have mangled this thread, "sue me". Sue AOL first. Thank you. --TP)

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

>Then as long as I'm correcting ... It's >Scots-Irish (snip)

Webster says "Scotch" as the preferred.

What's "important" (ha ha) here is the separation between cycling bodies, Irish
and British. I think your point holds water insofar that Kelly, Roche, Early
got started in Ireland and went to the Continent without much contact with the
insular English racing scene. In answer to the question implying that there is
no cycling in GB, it would perhaps have been better to include a couple of the
"Thousands of Cyclists"-style stories I saw, pertaining to organized events
occuring in GB, besides the mention of a few pro stars.

>I wonder what Lafferty will make of this:

(cyclingnews story quoted):
>> Of the 189 medical checkups performed at the start of the Tour, the

>average
>> hematocrit was 44.8% and the average haemoglobin was 14.9g/dl. As the Tour
>> progressed, there were 107 additional blood controls carried out before

>July
>> 13, which showed averages of 43.3% for hematocrit and 14.6g/dl for
>> haemoglobin. During the last week of the Tour, 80 blood controls were
>> performed, and the average hematocrit and haemoglobin were 42.3% and
>> 14.1g/dl respectively.

"Lance is a doper"? --Tom Paterson

>From: "B. Lafferty"

>Irish to people of "Scotch" descent (see also "whiskey joke", earlier this

thread).

Go pick on Webster (quoting same):

"Scot: a native or inhabitant of Scotland (snip snip).

"Scotch: of scottish origin; resembling or regarded as characteristic of
Scotland or the Scottish people (used outside of Scotland)... (snipping)

"--Usage (deleting until the last line):

"The term Scotch-Irish is standard in the United States for the descendants of
the Scots of Ulster who immigrated to America beginning in the 18th century."

Pssssst, flop flop flop.

Rema to the rescue? Bring your pump?

Ever talk to Lance, or actually see him in person? --TP

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "B. Lafferty"

> >Irish to people of "Scotch" descent (see also "whiskey joke", earlier

this
> thread).
>
> Go pick on Webster (quoting same):
>
> "Scot: a native or inhabitant of Scotland (snip snip).
>
> "Scotch: of scottish origin; resembling or regarded as characteristic of
> Scotland or the Scottish people (used outside of Scotland)... (snipping)
>
> "--Usage (deleting until the last line):
>
> "The term Scotch-Irish is standard in the United States for the

descendants of
> the Scots of Ulster who immigrated to America beginning in the 18th

century."

> Pssssst, flop flop flop.
>
> Rema to the rescue? Bring your pump?
>
> Ever talk to Lance, or actually see him in person? --TP

In Scotland, scotch is considered offensive as it is an English created word
Enjoy fixing your flat. From Bartlyby.com:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/8/S0160800.html

ADJECTIVE: Of or relating to Scotland or its people, language, or
culture.
NOUN: 1. Scots English. 2. (used with a pl. verb) The people of
Scotland.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English scottisc. See Scots.
USAGE NOTE: Scottish is the full, original form of the adjective.
Scots is an old Scottish variant. Scotch is an English contraction of
Scottish that came into use in Scotland as well for a time (as in Burns's "O
thou, my Muse! guid auld Scotch drink!") but subsequently fell into disfavor
there. In the interest of civility, forms involving Scotch are best avoided
in reference to people; designations formed with Scots are most common
(Scot, Scotsman, or Scotswoman), but those involving the full form Scottish
are sometimes found in more formal contexts. Scotch-Irish is the most
commonly used term for the descendants of Scots who migrated to North
America, but lately Scots-Irish has begun to gain currency among those who
know that Scotch is considered offensive in Scotland. There is, however, no
sure rule for referring to things, since the history of variation in the use
of these words has left many expressions in which the choice is fixed, such
as Scotch broth, Scotch whisky, Scottish rite, and Scots Guards.

Tom Paterson wrote:

>>From: "B. Lafferty"

>>Irish to people of "Scotch" descent (see also "whiskey joke", earlier this

> thread).
>
> Go pick on Webster (quoting same):
>
> "Scot: a native or inhabitant of Scotland (snip snip).
>
> "Scotch: of scottish origin; resembling or regarded as characteristic of
> Scotland or the Scottish people (used outside of Scotland)... (snipping)
>
> "--Usage (deleting until the last line):
>
> "The term Scotch-Irish is standard in the United States for the descendants of
> the Scots of Ulster who immigrated to America beginning in the 18th century."

Heh.
Scotch is a drink.
Scotch-Irish is a corruption, but correct usage.

>From: "B. Lafferty"

>In Scotland, scotch is considered offensive as it is an English created word

Webster so noted. I omitted for brevity. (Well, that's scotched <g>)

We're in the USA, remember?

Your people don't apparently know the correct usage; mine do, as one might
expect. My father instructed me at his knee about this, forty-odd years ago:
"We are Scotch-Irish, they are Scot or Scottish". Of course, my ancestors, at
least some of them, were speaking American English some time before yours, as
well. Not to take credit for things that happened before I was around, but we
do know something of our history. There's a picture of the family tartan around
somewhere, for instance.

You omitted a period after "word".

>Enjoy fixing your flat.

The whoosing air noise came from your direction, Brian.

I made a mistake and admitted such, earlier. What's your problem?

Meet Lance Armstrong today? Talk to him, get the autograph? --TP

In article <[email protected]>,
Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Paterson wrote:
> >>From: Stewart Fleming

> >>In the long run, the notion that someone should be treated with contempt
> >>for revealing information that only a limited number of people know, but
> >>which would be valuable to a wider audience, is contemptible. It's the
> >>same attitude that raises many social conflicts at high school, for example.

> > Are you talking "test answers" here? --TP

> No, the situation where a student is mistreated by others, informs
> teaching staff and is then further mistreated for "being a snitch".

As the saying goes, "snitches get stitches." And that is a lousy
situation for a kid to be in. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]ospam (Tom Paterson) wrote:

> >From: [email protected] (Steve Larsson)

> >after all, what does the uk have to do
> >with cycling?

> Chris Boardman, Sean Kelly, Sean Yates, Malcom Elliot, Martin Early, Stephen
> Roche, Graeme Obree.

And in recent history, Roger Hammond. Third at Paris Roubaix this year.

--

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:29:11 GMT, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Rats ratting out rats, that how you are going to catch the dopers,
>criminals, terrorists etc. There are probably lots of Rats in Guantanamo
>Bay ratting out other rats right now. You don't have to like them, but you
>have to listen to what they say, because there is always a chance there is
>some truth to what they are saying.

I doubt that Simeoni was under as much duress as the people in GB.

Again, Simeoni got caught and he had a choice to clam up and take what
was coming to him. He decided to turn state's evidence for a reduced
sentence. Unlike most people who do the same thing he was not facing
prison time, but rather a suspension of his racing privileges.

I'm also aware that many of the people who make these type of deals
end up committing perjury because prosecutors want to get their man
and are not beyond propping up false witnesses if it suits their
purposes. It happens all the time.

Perhaps it's the result of my upbringing on the streets of NYC, but
where I come from, if Simeoni is telling the truth he's a rat. If
he's lying, he's a lying rat.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:55:15 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Of the 189 medical checkups performed at the start of the Tour, the average
>hematocrit was 44.8% and the average haemoglobin was 14.9g/dl. As the Tour
>progressed, there were 107 additional blood controls carried out before July
>13, which showed averages of 43.3% for hematocrit and 14.6g/dl for
>haemoglobin. During the last week of the Tour, 80 blood controls were
>performed, and the average hematocrit and haemoglobin were 42.3% and
>14.1g/dl respectively.

Obviously, prolonged exposure to strenuous exercise leads to anemia.