Today's walk (urw)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris Hill, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    (Also posted to dl)

    Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;

    http://inder140106.fotopic.net

    Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
    best weather either, as you can see.

    --
    Chris Hill

    Tags:

  2. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    contained the following:

    >Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;

    No one joined you then?

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  3. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <7sdis1990cscj6qamub5jlq5b07fmejonm@4ax.com>, Geoff Berrow
    <blthecat@ckdog.co.uk> writes
    >contained the following:

    >>Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;

    >No one joined you then?

    Nope.
    --
    Chris Hill

  4. Steve Ray

    Steve Ray Guest

    "Chris Hill" <chris@chris-h.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > (Also posted to dl)
    >
    > Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
    >
    > http://inder140106.fotopic.net
    >
    > Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the best
    > weather either, as you can see.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hill

    Chris

    Looking at your photos you obviously walked the same route I walked in 02.
    Even parked at the same car park. Cuh ? One of my most memorable moments
    from my walk apart from seeing the downfall for the first time was a rather
    large highland moo at less than 30 paces. Me and the rest of the group were
    walking rather carefully thru the same field as it thinking how fast we
    could run and how fast it could run. Thankfully the moo only won the
    staring competition

    http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I%20ate%20the%20last%20walker!.JPG

    excellent shots BTW, I must get a decent camera

    Steve

  5. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <sfcyf.615$vH3.151@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>, Steve Ray
    <nochace@all.com> writes

    <snip>

    >Chris
    >
    >Looking at your photos you obviously walked the same route I walked in 02.
    >Even parked at the same car park. Cuh ?

    Well... not really. If you want to go round Kinder from the Hayfield
    side you don't really have much choice as to routes and start/end
    points. It was pretty much deserted today, but try going up in the
    middle of the day in good weather in spring - you'll be bumping into
    people every few seconds!

    >One of my most memorable moments
    >from my walk apart from seeing the downfall for the first time was a rather
    >large highland moo at less than 30 paces. Me and the rest of the group were
    >walking rather carefully thru the same field as it thinking how fast we
    >could run and how fast it could run. Thankfully the moo only won the
    >staring competition
    >
    >http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I ate the last wal
    >ker!.JPG

    That looks uncannily like;

    http://photos.holosys.co.uk/p/30197

    taken by Chris Lawrence when we went round Lantern Pike a while ago.
    They're fearsome-looking, for sure, but apparently very placid. And also
    very inquisitive, which was probably why it was giving you the hard
    stare. That said, I still feel slightly nervous around them and always
    try to make sure I've got a wall or fence a few yards away.

    >excellent shots BTW,

    Thanks - they were the "best" of a very large bunch, most of which
    suffered from camera-shake. Fortunately I took two or three of every
    view.

    >I must get a decent camera

    Mine's am Ixus 40. Don't know if it's "decent", but it does for me.

    Liked your shot of The Downfall, BTW.
    --
    Chris Hill

  6. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    contained the following:

    >>No one joined you then?

    >Nope.

    Now there's a surprise.

    I'll join you on the next one.

    By the way the rocks look like the same rocks as these
    http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Geoff/kinder/rocks.jpg

    On that trip the stream leading to the downfall was frozen over.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  7. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    contained the following:

    >excellent shots BTW, I must get a decent camera

    Told you, you can borrow mine - you can even carry the bugger... ;-)
    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  8. Steve Ray

    Steve Ray Guest

    > Told you, you can borrow mine - you can even carry the bugger... ;-)

    OK Cool. I won't charge the batteries up in mine for tomorrow... ;->

  9. On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Chris Hill wrote:

    > In message <sfcyf.615$vH3.151@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>, Steve Ray
    > <nochace@all.com> writes
    > > http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I ate the last wal
    > > ker!.JPG

    > That looks uncannily like;
    >
    > http://photos.holosys.co.uk/p/30197

    Steve's looks like it's eaten a few more walkers than mine :)

    > Thanks - they were the "best" of a very large bunch, most of which suffered
    > from camera-shake. Fortunately I took two or three of every view.

    Did you stop to take them? I found on GG, which was the first walk I
    did where the pace really set in, that I wanted to take photos but
    didn't like pausing to do so. So I walked and snapped, pausing evry now
    and then, most of them turned out blurred as hell and the ones online
    are the best ones. Hurrah for digital photography!

    --
    Chris

  10. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <6nnis1lq4flavu96fhqo0f17sue0s9hl3f@4ax.com>, Geoff Berrow
    <blthecat@ckdog.co.uk> writes
    >contained the following:
    >
    >>>No one joined you then?

    >>Nope.

    >Now there's a surprise.

    I couldn't possibly comment.

    >I'll join you on the next one.

    Good!

    >By the way the rocks look like the same rocks as these
    >http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Geoff/kinder/rocks.jpg

    Yup - those are the ones, from a slightly different angle. I recognise
    the path going off behind them. Wonder what they're called...

    >On that trip the stream leading to the downfall was frozen over.

    Well, yeah, I mean, you went on a *cold* day.
    --
    Chris Hill

  11. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <Pine.BSF.4.63.0601142028480.4998@ochre.gradwell.net>, Chris
    Lawrence <news03@holosys.co.uk.invalid> writes
    >On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Chris Hill wrote:
    >
    >> In message <sfcyf.615$vH3.151@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>, Steve Ray
    >> <nochace@all.com> writes
    >> > http://www.walkingoutdoors.co.uk/Steve/Kinder/I ate the last wal
    >> > ker!.JPG

    >> That looks uncannily like;
    >>
    >> http://photos.holosys.co.uk/p/30197

    >Steve's looks like it's eaten a few more walkers than mine :)
    >
    >> Thanks - they were the "best" of a very large bunch, most of which suffered
    >> from camera-shake. Fortunately I took two or three of every view.

    >Did you stop to take them?

    Yes - every time.

    >I found on GG, which was the first walk I
    >did where the pace really set in, that I wanted to take photos but
    >didn't like pausing to do so.

    Me neither, because it meant breaking my rhythm. I almost didn't bother
    with a camera at all because of the rain and because I knew it would
    slow me down.

    >So I walked and snapped, pausing evry now
    >and then, most of them turned out blurred as hell and the ones online
    >are the best ones. Hurrah for digital photography!

    At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
    pictures at a reasonable resolution.

    We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...
    --
    Chris Hill

  12. On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Chris Hill wrote:

    > > I found on GG, which was the first walk I
    > > did where the pace really set in, that I wanted to take photos but
    > > didn't like pausing to do so.

    > Me neither, because it meant breaking my rhythm. I almost didn't bother with a
    > camera at all because of the rain and because I knew it would slow me down.

    Tis all worth it though afterwards when you have a permanent record of
    the day, as well as interesting reference photos to compare with other
    people's.

    > > So I walked and snapped, pausing evry now
    > > and then, most of them turned out blurred as hell and the ones online
    > > are the best ones. Hurrah for digital photography!

    > At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
    > pictures at a reasonable resolution.

    Indeed, no more of this 36 photos and then going to a shop malarky.
    It's nice to be able to take a few photos and bin all but the best
    without paying for the privilege.

    > We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

    In walking boots or in a 4x4...?

    --
    Chris

  13. Neil Barker

    Neil Barker Guest

    In article <5PbzGiNSPWyDFwhk@chris-h.demon.co.uk>, chris@chris-
    h.demon.co.uk says...
    > In message <6nnis1lq4flavu96fhqo0f17sue0s9hl3f@4ax.com>, Geoff Berrow
    > <blthecat@ckdog.co.uk> writes
    > >contained the following:

    > >>Nope.

    > >Now there's a surprise.

    > I couldn't possibly comment.

    I will.

    Just proves what a spineless, lying coward Rooney is.

    No big surprise there.

    --
    Neil Barker

  14. Neil Barker

    Neil Barker Guest

    In article <ivv1O7NASWyDFwB8@chris-h.demon.co.uk>, chris@chris-
    h.demon.co.uk says...

    > At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
    > pictures at a reasonable resolution.
    >
    > We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

    Hahahahahaha.

    Hang on. I'll just talk nicely to a helicopter pilot friend of mine....

    Just bought a new camera yesterday - Nikon D2X, 2700UKP and 12.4Mp.

    Lovely it is.

    --
    Neil Barker

  15. Fran

    Fran Guest

    chris@chris-h.demon.co.uk said...
    > (Also posted to dl)
    >
    > Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
    >
    > http://inder140106.fotopic.net

    Sorry I couldn't join you - it would have been nice to meet you. I
    notice you don't mention Mr R... Take it he didn't show?

    > Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
    > best weather either, as you can see.

    You should have come to south Wales. It's not been too bad here today.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  16. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    > >>No one joined you then?
    > >
    > >Nope.

    > Now there's a surprise.

    Paul Rooney is normally SO reliable.

    Ian

  17. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <MPG.1e33a7f4e08b730d98a987@news.individual.net>, Fran
    <arjfatcymoeddorguk@privacy.net> writes
    >chris@chris-h.demon.co.uk said...
    >> (Also posted to dl)
    >>
    >> Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
    >>
    >> http://inder140106.fotopic.net

    >Sorry I couldn't join you - it would have been nice to meet you. I
    >notice you don't mention Mr R... Take it he didn't show?

    He didn't. We'd agreed 8am, I was there from 7:40 to 8:10 but he didn't
    show up. I don't mind, but a simple email or News posting indicating he
    wasn't coming would have been at least courteous. Never mind.

    >> Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
    >> best weather either, as you can see.

    >You should have come to south Wales. It's not been too bad here today.

    I wouldn't mind, actually. I fancy walking the infamous "Fan Dance" some
    time.
    --
    Chris Hill

  18. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <MPG.1e339db1187a28f398993d@127.0.0.1>, Neil Barker
    <neil@nemesis.nu> writes
    >In article <ivv1O7NASWyDFwB8@chris-h.demon.co.uk>, chris@chris-
    >h.demon.co.uk says...
    >
    >> At least you don't have to worry about wasting film. Mine will do 1400+
    >> pictures at a reasonable resolution.
    >>
    >> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

    >Hahahahahaha.
    >
    >Hang on. I'll just talk nicely to a helicopter pilot friend of mine....

    That's about the only way if you don't want to walk.

    >Just bought a new camera yesterday - Nikon D2X, 2700UKP and 12.4Mp.
    >
    >Lovely it is.

    Hang on - I thought you once said that ~4Mp was enough for anyone?
    --
    Chris Hill

  19. Charlie King

    Charlie King Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:49:22 +0000, in
    <5PbzGiNSPWyDFwhk@chris-h.demon.co.uk> (uk.rec.walking) Chris Hill
    <chris@chris-h.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > I couldn't possibly comment.

    You are Francis Urquhart, AICMFCrampons.
    --
    Charlie

  20. Charlie King

    Charlie King Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:35:29 +0000 (UTC), in
    <a4e2a752419d049b826d3d0b35d4c966.32109@mygate.mailgate.org>
    (uk.rec.walking) "Ian Dainty" <jeff_tweedy@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Paul Rooney is normally SO reliable.

    I agree. I could list several things for which he could be relied
    upon.
    --
    Charlie

Share This Page