Today's walk (urw)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:52:16 +0000, in
<[email protected]> (uk.rec.walking) Chris Hill
<[email protected]> wrote:

> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

With better-defined drizzle and crisper mist?
--
Charlie

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:43:36 +0000, in
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hang on - I thought you once said that ~4Mp was enough for anyone?

I bet he didn't lay claim to being just anyone at the time, tho'!
--
Charlie

In article <[email protected]>, chris@chris-
h.demon.co.uk says...
> In message <[email protected]>, Neil Barker
> <[email protected]> writes

> >Just bought a new camera yesterday - Nikon D2X, 2700UKP and 12.4Mp.
> >
> >Lovely it is.

> Hang on - I thought you once said that ~4Mp was enough for anyone?

Nah, you must be confusing me with Bill Gates.

--
Neil Barker

In article <[email protected]>, chris@chris-
h.demon.co.uk says...
> In message <[email protected]>, Charlie King
> <[email protected]> writes
> >On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:52:16 +0000, in
> ><[email protected]> (uk.rec.walking) Chris Hill
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

> >With better-defined drizzle and crisper mist?

> You should see his K2B 2004 pics - the rain was rendered beautifully.

LOL - and this year they'll be in even higher res :)

--
Neil Barker

[email protected] said...

> > >Nope.

> > Now there's a surprise.

> Paul Rooney is normally SO reliable.

And true to form, he didn't turn up :)

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:56:55 +0000, in
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Charlie King
> <[email protected]> writes
> >On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:52:16 +0000, in
> ><[email protected]> (uk.rec.walking) Chris Hill
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> We need to get Barker up there to get some proper ones done...

> >With better-defined drizzle and crisper mist?

> You should see his K2B 2004 pics - the rain was rendered beautifully.

I did, and indeed it was. Each bone-chilling droplet rendered in
shivering faithful colour - gray - and in telling juxtaposition to the
livid scarlet of the victim^runners' near-terminal complexions from
which one might pick each individual wind-burn and ruptured capillary.
--
Charlie

[email protected] said...
> >You should have come to south Wales. It's not been too bad here today.

> I wouldn't mind, actually. I fancy walking the infamous "Fan Dance" some
> time.

Infamous?
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In message <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> >You should have come to south Wales. It's not been too bad here today.

>> I wouldn't mind, actually. I fancy walking the infamous "Fan Dance" some
>> time.
>>

>Infamous?

If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
Dance" described as part of their selection process.
--
Chris Hill

[email protected] said...
> In message <[email protected]>, Fran
> <[email protected]> writes
> >[email protected] said...
> >>
> >> I wouldn't mind, actually. I fancy walking the infamous "Fan Dance" some
> >> time.
> >>

> >Infamous?

> If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
> Dance" described as part of their selection process.

Oh, I see. Well, I haven't read any of those books, but I probably get
the picture. Is that the one where the poor sods are left out on their
own to sink or swim in the middle of (apparently) nowhere with nothing
more than a Swiss army knife and a couple of bits of dwarf bread?
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote

> If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
> Dance" described as part of their selection process.

Do you know what it involves exactly?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:10:51 +0000, Chris Hill
<[email protected]> wrote:

>(Also posted to dl)
>
>Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
>
>http://inder140106.fotopic.net
>
>Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
>best weather either, as you can see.

Was yours the red Peugeot (I think??) in the car park? Only other car
there when I turned up if so, reckon I must have only just missed you.
I didn't know for sure if I was going to be there until about 2300 on
Friday, otherwise I'd have posted!

Was a good walk though, despite the low cloud on the high parts. Was
lovely a bit later on when it cleared up! Made a rather daft
navigational error around Edale Cross which added another mile or so
of retracing my steps. Oh well, first proper walk for a while, out of
practice!

On a tangential note, I managed to scuff my new boots quite deeply on
the rocks along the edge. :-( Apart from the usual treatment with
nikwax, does anybody know any way to look after scuffed boots?

Jim

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:46:53 -0000, in
<[email protected]> (uk.rec.walking) "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
> > Dance" described as part of their selection process.

> Do you know what it involves exactly?

One can only infer that it doesn't involve weeding out slimey little
toerags who are willing to sell out their country, regiment, squadron
and their comrades who continue to serve in exchange for a fast buck
at Waterstones - despite having signed a contract not to do so.
--
Charlie

Charlie King wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:46:53 -0000, in
> <[email protected]> (uk.rec.walking) "AndyP"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Do you know what it involves exactly?

> One can only infer that it doesn't involve weeding out slimey little
> toerags who are willing to sell out their country, regiment, squadron
> and their comrades who continue to serve in exchange for a fast buck
> at Waterstones - despite having signed a contract not to do so.

Get off the fence and tell us what you *really* think!

In message <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> In message <[email protected]>, Fran
>> <[email protected]> writes
>> >[email protected] said...

>> >Infamous?

>> If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
>> Dance" described as part of their selection process.
>>

>Oh, I see. Well, I haven't read any of those books, but I probably get
>the picture. Is that the one where the poor sods are left out on their
>own to sink or swim in the middle of (apparently) nowhere with nothing
>more than a Swiss army knife and a couple of bits of dwarf bread?

Yes - with the added bonus of being chased by infantry who are
"incentivized" by the prospect of extra leave if they manage to catch
one.

I wouldn't call them "poor sods" though, as they're all volunteers.
--
Chris Hill

In message <[email protected]>, AndyP
<[email protected]> writes
>"Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
>> Dance" described as part of their selection process.

>Do you know what it involves exactly?

Only what I've read in books and seen on TV. There are good descriptions
in Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action.
--
Chris Hill

In message <[email protected]>, Charlie King
<[email protected]> writes
>On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:46:53 -0000, in
><[email protected]> (uk.rec.walking) "AndyP"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Chris Hill" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > If you ever read any of the "SAS insider" type books you'll see "The Fan
>> > Dance" described as part of their selection process.

>> Do you know what it involves exactly?

>One can only infer that it doesn't involve weeding out slimey little
>toerags who are willing to sell out their country, regiment, squadron
>and their comrades who continue to serve in exchange for a fast buck
>at Waterstones -

You're trying to tell us something here, I can sense it.

>despite having signed a contract not to do so.

I think those contracts came in post-McNabb/Ryan.
--
Chris Hill

In message <[email protected]>, Jim Millen
<[email protected]> writes
>On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:10:51 +0000, Chris Hill
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>(Also posted to dl)
>>
>>Here's some pictures of my walk round Kinder today;
>>
>>http://inder140106.fotopic.net
>>
>>Apologies for the slight fuzziness of some of the photos, and not the
>>best weather either, as you can see.

>Was yours the red Peugeot (I think??) in the car park?

That would have been me,

>Only other car
>there when I turned up if so, reckon I must have only just missed you.

Dammit! If I'd known I would have waited.

>I didn't know for sure if I was going to be there until about 2300 on
>Friday, otherwise I'd have posted!

I downloaded on Saturday morning. Oh well, never mind.

>Was a good walk though, despite the low cloud on the high parts. Was
>lovely a bit later on when it cleared up!

It was...

>Made a rather daft
>navigational error around Edale Cross which added another mile or so
>of retracing my steps.

Where did you end up?
--
Chris Hill