Who Makes the Best Brake & Derailleur

Tommasini53

Aug 23, 2004
A question for the experienced wrenchs:

Who makes the best performing brake and derailleur cables??

Is it worth the extra $$ to purchase the stainless steel instead of the galvanized? Are the teflon coated cables worth the high price?

I'd appreciate help from the experienced wrenchs in the audience. A few riders claim it doesn't matter. I think it does and I'm thinking of just ordering a box of Jagwire cables.

If it helps, I'm using Campy equipment with Nokon housing.

Thanks in Advance:)

I ride Campagnolo Chorus (full gruppo) and have always used Campagnolo cables. Never had any problems. They are designed by the people who designed the rest of the equipment.

Spend more on jagwires, nokons or whatever if you, IMVHO really enjoy wrenching (there will be issues, or at least it seems that way from most people who install the stuff) and have money to burn. :)

Since you're using Campy components I'd recommend using Campy cables because the heads are a teence smaller. Generic cable heads need to be filed a bit to work well with Campy stuff.

Other than that I don't worry about it too much. I use bulk "slick galvanized" cables from QBP on my personal bikes. I prefer the galvanized over stainless steel because it lets me solder the ends and I can slide them in and out through the housings if needed.

i use black teflon coated cables, soon to be with nokon houseing. shimano cables are bigger, nothing a file cant fix :) (i love black cables)

I run Jagwires (came with bike) on my MTB and havent really had a problem. Last service, my gear cables were replaced for some Dura Ace ones and i must admit, massive difference to the Jagwires.

AngoXC said:
I run Jagwires (came with bike) on my MTB and havent really had a problem. Last service, my gear cables were replaced for some Dura Ace ones and i must admit, massive difference to the Jagwires.

Different, how?

I find if you pull the cable out of the housing, run it through a tiny bath (a few drips) of tri-flow or light oil, then re-install it, it runs extremely smoothly and shifting becomes crisper and the brakes have a less spongy feel.

Xsmoker said:
Different, how?
Not sure really. The jagwires were smooth but you had to put in some effort to initally move them. It might have been because I really haddnt attended to them recontly but at the time, felt like a massive difference.

I ride an older Tommasini with Record/Chorus mix and will use nothing but Campy cables and housings on my bike. Right now I'm using 'Super Record' housings because they're the grey color I like, and they work great.

Teflon coated cables (they're worth it and they're not that expensive) on campy black housings for derailleurs and Campy cables/housings for brakes.