150 miles in 72 hours !

goodia123

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there, new to the forum and thought this would be a good place to find advice. Me and my friend have came up with an idea to raise money for charity by cycling from his home to our term time address which is around 150 miles away.
We aim to do this in a months time so i was wondering whether firstly you think this is possible to be capable of doing in a months times and also how fit we will have to be as i guessing it will be hard but not sure how hard.

Thanks

Piece o' cake.

Due to the complete lack of useful information in the post I'm guessing you're fairly young so youth it on your side and unless you failed at all sports in school then sitting on a bike for 50 miles a day shouldn't be too much of an ordeal unless you like in the middle of a spectacular mountain range or somewhere insideously hostile - like Siberia or northern Alaska.

150miles in 7.2 hours - that'd be a bit more of a challenge.

Too walk according to google maps it is 1 day and 23 hours so take into account sleep and stoppages for fluids i think 72 hours is a realistic but still tough challenge as we are 19 and 20 but we are not fit or anything i could probably run around 5 miles lol .

Since you're posting on a bike forum I'm guessing you're going to be riding a bike, no?

Are you riding on roads or across country on dirt tracks and fire roads? Where are you riding too/from?

It all depends on how much cycling you've done. But folks ride double centuries or 200 miles in a single day all the time and most of those folks aren't racers.

A big event every year around here is the Seattle to Portland ride which covers 202 miles as either a one or two day ride, roughly 10,000 riders rode the event last year. So in the scope of cycling events, 150 miles in a period of three days is very reasonable.

Whether it's reasonable for you and your friend is going to depend a lot on how much saddle time you put in over the next few months and whether you can sit on a bike for perhaps five or six hours a day for up to three days. But realistically you could complete your ride in 15 hours at a very pedestrian 10 mph pace or a total of 10 hours averaging 15 mph neither of which is a big stretch for reasonably fit adults.

Seems to me your goals are pretty reasonable as long as you both get out and start riding to get used to the saddle time, to build some fitness and to learn to deal with the inevitable like flat tires and navigating to avoid dangerous roads.

Good luck,
-Dave

Yes we are riding, i can see 150 miles is reasonable but the fact none of us ride really and we aim to be do it in a months time. Also we are cycling from Oxford to Swansea and using roads i think.

That should make for an interesting route.

Unless you take lots of detours, you're probably gonna be stuck on the A40 out of Oxford. I've ridden on there a few times - time trialing - it's a fast road but if you don't like mixing it with heavy fast moving traffic you'd be best riding a different route.

I don't recall the roads through the valleys around Merthyr Tydfil being that hard. Lumpy would be more apt than hilly or you could go via Newport which should be easier but a fair bit longer. Not as scenic though.