~1985 Campy Crank arm bolt allen size?

Gman

Guest
I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen bolt,
although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.

I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
> bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.
>
> I have been told it's likely a 10mm.
>
> Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?
>
> I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

Anyone know differently?

Mike

In article <gN1ga.14$me.10@fed1read04>, Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:

>"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
>> bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.
>>
>> I have been told it's likely a 10mm.
>>
>> Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?
>>
>> I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

>I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.
>
>Anyone know differently?

Could also be a non-Campy allen-head crank bolt or self-extracting gizmo. They were sold in the
aftermarket during the time that Campy used 15mm hex-head bolts. There were several types & bolt
formats used in these products. Some even used 6mm allen head, which is just way too small.

--Paul

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:06:58 -0800, Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:

> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
>> bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.
>>
>> I have been told it's likely a 10mm.
>>
>> Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?
>>
>> I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

> I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.
>
> Anyone know differently?
>
> Mike

I'm pretty sure it's bigger than 7mm. My FS mtn bike crank bolts are definitely bigger than 7mm and
that wrench is too small for the Campys.

...to the LBS w/ it tomorrow.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:06:58 -0500, Mike S. wrote:

>> I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
>> bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.
>>
>> I have been told it's likely a 10mm.

> I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

I was gonna say 7 as well, and that is one size most allen wrench sets do not have. Be careful,
also, since the auto-extractor rings, the things that look like the dust caps, are left-hand thread.
They also tend to wear. I had one that was so bad off it would not pull the crank any more.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen bolt,
>although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.
>
>I have been told it's likely a 10mm.
>
>Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?
>
>I guess I'll run down to the LBS with it...

I think they were 8mm in 1995 (and still are).

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it. They appear to have an allen
> bolt, although it is a different size than is on my modern FS mtn bike.
>
> I have been told it's likely a 10mm.
>
> Anyone have old Campy cranks with 10mm bolts?

The bolt is m8x1. The allen head was 7mm on the older bolts, 8mm now

glaprade-<< I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it.

7mm and self extractor on Record/CDA/Chorus/Victory-others..

mikeshaw-<< I thought Campy had 7mm bolts.

Anyone know differently?

This era had 7mm self extractores, then went to a 8mm allen about 1994 or so-or a 15mm bolt-

On 26 Mar 2003 14:03:50 GMT, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> glaprade-<< I have an old Panasonic road bike with 170mm Campy cranks on it.
>
> 7mm and self extractor on Record/CDA/Chorus/Victory-others..

You guys were absolutely correct. 7mm it is! Got a wrench now.