1st incident of Driver idiocy - but I had fun

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
Since I decided to claim my full left lane about a month or so ago, I had my first incidence of driver idiocy.

Heading eastbound this morning along Victoria Rd (A major artierial) at Rydalmere I was in the left lane of two. Nearby, there was a broken down car in the right lane.

Some moron behind (in a tradesman's van) decided he couldn't stand waiting the few seconds it would take for me to

a) pass the broken down car
b) reach the point shortly after where a 3rd lane opens.

Tradesman leans on his horn.

Did, I get angry? No.

I stopped to ask what was the danger he was trying to alert me to.

So, in the middle of the only open lane I stopped to investigate the danger.

Tradesman starts screaming.

I asked "Is there any danger?"

"No, get off the road!"

"I'm entitled to be here. So, there is no danger?"

"No, move"

"Do you know it is illegal to use your horn when there is no danger?"

anyway, this went on for 30-40 secs as a chorus of horns started up.

Eventually, tradesman said sorry, so I moved on.

Perhaps a little naughty, but lesson delivered and...

Scotty had fun today. :)

scotty72 said:
Since I decided to claim my full left lane about a month or so ago, I had my first incidence of driver idiocy.

Heading eastbound this morning along Victoria Rd (A major artierial) at Rydalmere I was in the left lane of two. Nearby, there was a broken down car in the right lane.

Some moron behind (in a tradesman's van)

[snip]

Scotty had fun today. :)

Well played! I don't know how you could ride along Victoria Road _without_ claiming a lane. You would have to bunny hop all those pot holes and steel grates that seem to be exactly the width of a bicycle wheel...

Are you riding into the city? If so, you might want to cut across the river somewhere upstream and ride in through Homebush/Five Dock... you would avoid that 'orrible Vic Road.

Ritch

ritcho said:
Well played! I don't know how you could ride along Victoria Road _without_ claiming a lane. You would have to bunny hop all those pot holes and steel grates that seem to be exactly the width of a bicycle wheel...

Are you riding into the city? If so, you might want to cut across the river somewhere upstream and ride in through Homebush/Five Dock... you would avoid that 'orrible Vic Road.

Ritch
Na, I only ride from Parra to Rydalmere (Park Road) then cut down to the PVC on my way to Strathfield. If thry ever extend the PVC into Parra, then i wont need to ue Vic Rd at all.

> Just look out for the next tradey carrying a screwdriver. They insert
> quite
> nicely into the human ear.

Mmm, trollish goodness. I always look out for tradies, they're the worst
drivers out there. I especially like the ones in heavily laden vans who
think that they can out-brake the 1000kg car that they're tailgating.
They're also the only drivers who ever go out of their way to give me grief
other than the occasional brain-dead bogan in a commodore.

Resound wrote:
>>Just look out for the next tradey carrying a screwdriver. They insert
>>quite
>>nicely into the human ear.
>>

> Mmm, trollish goodness. I always look out for tradies, they're the worst
> drivers out there. I especially like the ones in heavily laden vans who
> think that they can out-brake the 1000kg car that they're tailgating.
> They're also the only drivers who ever go out of their way to give me grief
> other than the occasional brain-dead bogan in a commodore.

Nah most tradies dont want to kill you. They are just in a hurry to
get to the next job. Its just that they have that extra tool box on the
back.. the 4 extra oxy cylinders and the half tonne of steel. THey are
reading the melways talking to someone on the mobile phone.. and have a
fax coming in. They are trying to remember if they organised that
order. And they are not particulary good drivers in the first place.
THey clobber someone purely by accident.

Of course some are cretins having a bad day.. but in the main the above
applies.

On 2005-08-19, scotty72 (aka Bruce)
> "Do you know it is illegal to use your horn when there is no danger?"
>
> anyway, this went on for 30-40 secs as a chorus of horns started up.
>
> Eventually, tradesman said sorry, so I moved on.

Well done sir, I bow before you :)

--
TimC
I hate mornings. I know they hate me back, too. -- Joel Gluth

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| Nah most tradies dont want to kill you. They are just in a hurry to
| get to the next job. Its just that they have that extra tool box on the
| back.. the 4 extra oxy cylinders and the half tonne of steel. THey are
| reading the melways talking to someone on the mobile phone.. and have a
| fax coming in. They are trying to remember if they organised that
| order. And they are not particulary good drivers in the first place.
| THey clobber someone purely by accident.
|
| Of course some are cretins having a bad day.. but in the main the above
| applies.

And you might be surprised to find some are actually cyclists when not in
the company vehicle.... and are courteous to cyclists...

Book
(tradesman AND cyclist)

Book wrote:
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> | Nah most tradies dont want to kill you. They are just in a hurry to
> | get to the next job. Its just that they have that extra tool box on the
> | back.. the 4 extra oxy cylinders and the half tonne of steel. THey are
> | reading the melways talking to someone on the mobile phone.. and have a
> | fax coming in. They are trying to remember if they organised that
> | order. And they are not particulary good drivers in the first place.
> | THey clobber someone purely by accident.
> |
> | Of course some are cretins having a bad day.. but in the main the above
> | applies.
> |

> And you might be surprised to find some are actually cyclists when not in
> the company vehicle.... and are courteous to cyclists...

Sure.. Me broves a tradey.. But all the above does apply.
(of course some few are good drivers>.. still the other stuff gets in
the way of that to some extent.

> Book
> (tradesman AND cyclist)

"Book" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> | Nah most tradies dont want to kill you. They are just in a hurry to
> | get to the next job. Its just that they have that extra tool box on the
> | back.. the 4 extra oxy cylinders and the half tonne of steel. THey are
> | reading the melways talking to someone on the mobile phone.. and have a
> | fax coming in. They are trying to remember if they organised that
> | order. And they are not particulary good drivers in the first place.
> | THey clobber someone purely by accident.
> |
> | Of course some are cretins having a bad day.. but in the main the above
> | applies.
> |

> And you might be surprised to find some are actually cyclists when not in
> the company vehicle.... and are courteous to cyclists...
>
> Book
> (tradesman AND cyclist)

Well, any broad generalisation is likely to be riddled with exceptions, but
they still work. Ask insurance companies about actuarial tables. Then again,
that comes perilously close to justifying the "All cyclists *insert random
traffic violation here*." It is tradies' van and utes that most frequently
startle me though.

dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nah most tradies dont want to kill you. They are just in a hurry to
> get to the next job. Its just that they have that extra tool box on the
> back.. the 4 extra oxy cylinders and the half tonne of steel. THey are
> reading the melways

Now I see why he was so frustrated, it wasn't the cyclist, he couldn't
seem to find that street in sydney using his his melbourne street
directory.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum wrote:
> dave <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Nah most tradies dont want to kill you. They are just in a hurry to
>>get to the next job. Its just that they have that extra tool box on the
>>back.. the 4 extra oxy cylinders and the half tonne of steel. THey are
>>reading the melways

> Now I see why he was so frustrated, it wasn't the cyclist, he couldn't
> seem to find that street in sydney using his his melbourne street
> directory.

I dunno. I used a gregorys in sydney once. GOing down a twisty road
saying to the passenger this is dead straight on the map. Might be
better off with a melways :)

On the other hand my London street directory doesnt show the lights.
Admittedly they have lots fewer lights. But whats with that?

ANyway he was frustrated cos in spite of passing that cyclist 3 times
the cyclist STILL beat him into town. THe cyclist is cheating somehow
our mate just can´t quite figure out now.

Uncle Bully wrote..a load of ill-conceived ****:
<snip>

Your Mum must be so proud of you.

--
Nick

"Uncle Bully" wrote:

> "scotty72" wrote:
>>
>> Since I decided to claim my full left lane about a month or so ago,

> It's not yours to claim.

<snip various derogatory and threatening ****>

Mate, it really is about time you read this:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf

Note especially 'Sharing the Road - cyclists', the bit about leaving at
least 1 metre space between your car and any cyclist. A cyclist will always
ride about 1 metre out from the kerb as well, for safety, so there is often
not going to be enough room for a larger car. You can't legally drive part
in one lane and part in another (see 'Road Markings - Lane markings'), so
guess what? ....The cyclist *must* be given the full lane, unless the lane
is more than 4 metres wide - not often the case.

And I don't know why you've got such a bent about sticking screw drivers in
people's ears, you really should get that seen to.

Cheers
Peter

Peter> A cyclist will always ride about 1 metre out from the kerb as
Peter> well, for safety, so there is often not going to be enough
Peter> room for a larger car.

I wish!

Unfortunately there are far too many cyclists out there who are ignorant
of how vital proper road position is to their safety.

On my daily commute I frequently pass cyclists on the road without
deviating from my normal position one iota because they're riding in the
gutter. We need a ride wide campaign to get the message out that riding
in the gutter is risky behaviour.

Sorry, hobby horse of mine :)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Uncle Bully" wrote:
>>
>> "scotty72" wrote:
>>>
>>> Since I decided to claim my full left lane about a month or so ago,

>> It's not yours to claim.

> <snip various derogatory and threatening ****>
>
> Mate, it really is about time you read this:
> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf
>
> Note especially 'Sharing the Road - cyclists', the bit about leaving at
> least 1 metre space between your car and any cyclist. A cyclist will
> always ride about 1 metre out from the kerb as well, for safety, so there
> is often not going to be enough room for a larger car.

And what if it's not a car?

> You can't legally drive part in one lane and part in another (see 'Road
> Markings - Lane markings')

If you're not in a car you could.

> so guess what? ....The cyclist *must* be given the full lane,

Wrong.

> unless the lane is more than 4 metres wide - not often the case.

Or the vehicle wishing to pass is not a car.

Uncle Bully said:
"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Uncle Bully" wrote:
>>
>> "scotty72" wrote:
>>>
>>> Since I decided to claim my full left lane about a month or so ago,

>> It's not yours to claim.

> <snip various derogatory and threatening ****>
>
> Mate, it really is about time you read this:
> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf
>
> Note especially 'Sharing the Road - cyclists', the bit about leaving at
> least 1 metre space between your car and any cyclist. A cyclist will
> always ride about 1 metre out from the kerb as well, for safety, so there
> is often not going to be enough room for a larger car.

And what if it's not a car?

> You can't legally drive part in one lane and part in another (see 'Road
> Markings - Lane markings')

If you're not in a car you could.

> so guess what? ....The cyclist *must* be given the full lane,

Wrong.

> unless the lane is more than 4 metres wide - not often the case.

Or the vehicle wishing to pass is not a car.
read the road rules, go away and ...

"Uncle Bully" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> It's not yours to claim.

>> <snip various derogatory and threatening ****>
>>
>> Mate, it really is about time you read this:
>> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf
>>
>> Note especially 'Sharing the Road - cyclists', the bit about leaving at
>> least 1 metre space between your car and any cyclist. A cyclist will
>> always ride about 1 metre out from the kerb as well, for safety, so there
>> is often not going to be enough room for a larger car.

> And what if it's not a car?
>
>> You can't legally drive part in one lane and part in another (see 'Road
>> Markings - Lane markings')

> If you're not in a car you could.
>
>> so guess what? ....The cyclist *must* be given the full lane,

> Wrong.
>
>> unless the lane is more than 4 metres wide - not often the case.

> Or the vehicle wishing to pass is not a car.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you find passing a cyclist riding
a metre or so from the gutter to be a challenge while you're on a
motorcycle, then it's time to post that license back to Kelloggs.

Uncle Bully wrote:
> "scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote

>> Since I decided to claim my full left lane about a month or so ago,

> It's not yours to claim.

> Just look out for the next tradey carrying a screwdriver. They insert
> quite nicely into the human ear.

Naughty Uncle Bully, naughty. Get back on your motorbike and ********.

Theo

Theo Bekkers said:
Uncle Bully wrote:

> Just look out for the next tradey carrying a screwdriver. They insert
> quite nicely into the human ear.

Naughty Uncle Bully, naughty. Get back on your motorbike and ********.

Theo
I would guess that he knows they fit because he has tried it on himself. Maybe one too many times.

scotty72 wrote:
> ritcho Wrote:
> > Well played! I don't know how you could ride along Victoria Road
> > _without_ claiming a lane. You would have to bunny hop all those pot
> > holes and steel grates that seem to be exactly the width of a bicycle
> > wheel...
> >
> > Are you riding into the city? If so, you might want to cut across the
> > river somewhere upstream and ride in through Homebush/Five Dock... you
> > would avoid that 'orrible Vic Road.
> >
> > Ritch

> Na, I only ride from Parra to Rydalmere (Park Road) then cut down to
> the PVC on my way to Strathfield. If thry ever extend the PVC into
> Parra, then i wont need to ue Vic Rd at all.

Victoria road sucks..
I presume you're coming from North of the river.

Is it worth your while going south through Harris Park & Rosehill to
the M4 cycleway?

When they get the Thackery St bridge back up in use, you could go
through Camelia (Grand Ave) on the south side of the river.. that
concrete recycling plant is just great for the drivetrain on a wet day
:(