1st MTB Race - Damage Limitation

mastersong

Sep 9, 2003
Having ridden MTBs for the past 8 years, I've finally taken the plunge and entered my first race. Its an 18 mile enduro type afair in familiar territory, mostly flat but very bumpy.

I currently ride once or twice a week at a distance of 10 to 25 miles (depending on pass out from the wife) on a mix of road / off road. I am 39 years old.

My question is, with 3 weeks to go to the race what kind of preparation should I squeeze in? I was planning on one 25 miler and one 15 miler per week. Should I up this in the last week? or should I be looking to rest in the last week.

My target is to stay out of the bottom 3rd of the rankings - am I being naive? Should I give up now?

Thanks

mastersong said:
Having ridden MTBs for the past 8 years, I've finally taken the plunge and entered my first race. Its an 18 mile enduro type afair in familiar territory, mostly flat but very bumpy.

I currently ride once or twice a week at a distance of 10 to 25 miles (depending on pass out from the wife) on a mix of road / off road. I am 39 years old.

My question is, with 3 weeks to go to the race what kind of preparation should I squeeze in? I was planning on one 25 miler and one 15 miler per week. Should I up this in the last week? or should I be looking to rest in the last week.

My target is to stay out of the bottom 3rd of the rankings - am I being naive? Should I give up now?

Your prep plan sounds pretty good. I'd taper way back in the last week; maybe cut miles by 2/3, take it easy but keep some short intense efforts. Much better to go into the race rested than over-trained and tired.

Give up is worrying about where you place in the field for your first race. No one will care how you place; just being out there competing at your age is the important thing. Stay within your own capabilities, enjoy the race, and learn. Even if you finish last, it will be a great experience.

I usually try to train at about 110 or so percent of the race distance up to the last week before then taper down. Always ride the night before. If you don't you will be stiff and there may be little nasties such as a random leak in your tires from the last ride. Don't get tired from it, just don't be idle.

mastersong said:

Thanks

I am 46 years old and love MTB racing (here in Thailand). I have been riding a bike since I was a kid but only started racing 4 – 5 years ago (a little older than you are now). I agree with DHK that you should not worry about what position you will come; just race and enjoy. I would look at the race as part of your training for future races. I don’t know if your two rides per week are off-road or on-road, but if they are off-road then I would recommend you to try and do more time on the road or perhaps on disused railway tracks where you can ride for longer without feeling as knackered as you might if riding off-road. I don’t think your weekly mileage is enough if you want to do well in racing. Someone said on another thread that 5 hours per week and 4 days per week should be a minimum; I would agree with that. But don’t try to increase your mileage/time on the bike too rapidly; perhaps increase 10% per week. I don't think you can taper too much in your last week because you're not actually riding very much. But if say your race was on a Sunday, I would rest on the Friday and then take an easy ride on the Saturday (as Conniebiker suggested). You can learn lots more about training from these forums and also buy a couple of books (e.g. by Joe Friel and another by Chris Carmichael). I hope you get hooked on racing! :D

hi fellow jungle biker.
i live in thailand too [pattaya] i have been a roadcyclist,and triathlete most of my life doing traing with the ais.and the rule of thumb is if you want to be good ,put the miles in.always go over the course ,where poss , and if the race is 30ks you train at least 60ks once a week ,,,train hard 2 weeks before a race and taper ,the day before go 85% to clean your lactic out ,and parster up. and now that i live here i have learn't to race the mountain bike and the only way i have learnt to do that is go off rd as often as my boby would let me and i love it.
i won my age group in the race on koh larn,and will go up a grade next time. if you only want to do the race for the fun of it ,,its still good to be a little fit so you dont suffer.by the way if you know where i can get a mtb race diary in english i would love it. thanks... the cat..