2000 ULtegra vs 2004

CTYankee

Aug 24, 2004
I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new, but donn't want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type rides or long 70+ mile rides)

CTYankee said:
I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new, but donn't want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type rides or long 70+ mile rides)
Ultegra octalink crank has been around since 98.Biggest change has been a few improvements in the shifters.

shave off a few grams, the shifters are a bit better now...but for what you do they are fine, just don't pay the price of a 2004 ultegra groupo for a 2000