2009 TDF stage 14: Colmar - Besançon 199 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
2009 TDF stage 14: Colmar - Besançon 199 km

MOUNTAIN PASSES & HILLS

Km 90.5: Côte de Lebetain - 2.4 km climb to 4.4 % - Category 3
Km 111.5: Côte de Blamont - 2.9 km climb to 4.9 % - Category 3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb4lDrXCoHk"]YouTube - Analysis of the stage 14[/ame]

General classification after stage 13 ( top 25 )

1 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 53:30:30
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:00:06
3 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:00:08
4 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:00:46
5 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:00:54
6 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia - HTC 0:01:00
7 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:24
8 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:49
9 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:01:54
10 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:02:16
11 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team Columbia - HTC 0:02:21
12 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:25
13 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 0:02:40
14 Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:45
15 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:02:52
16 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:03:02
17 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0:03:07
18 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia - HTC 0:03:16
19 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:03:49
20 Brice Feillu (Fra) Agritubel 0:03:56
21 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:03:58
22 Haimar Zubeldia Aguirre (Spa) Astana 0:04:14
23 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Astana 0:04:20
24 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram
25 Nicki Sörensen (Den) Team Saxo Bank 0:04:38

I'm guessing this is where Cav tries to take the green back from Hushovd. And Martinez and Pellizotti fight for the KoM.

Probably not much else of interest going on today.

finally, something unscripted! a stage thought to be just a ride in the park and this is the one to shake up the gc?

Phil and Paul are talking about Hincapie being upset. I agree - what the hell was his old teammate LA and old coach JB doing? They couldn't have known that it would come down to 5 seconds, but still, they could have allowed George to pick up a few minutes and still be fine. He helped LA and JB to 7 Tour victories and they fvcked him today.

could lance be playing both sides of the pr fence? talking up a good game of loyalty and fellowship for the cameras all the while tilting the field to advantage his own ambitions? hincapie should be ashamed to even play the wounded man given how discovery, lance, hincapie, and the hog stabbed landis after he jumped to phonak.

slovakguy said:
could lance be playing both sides of the pr fence? talking up a good game of loyalty and fellowship for the cameras all the while tilting the field to advantage his own ambitions?
I have no problem with LA or anyone else doing things to maximize his odds of victory. But it really wouldn't have made a difference for his chances whether the yellow stayed with Nocentini or passed to Hincapie. Neither of those guys would have been holding yellow after tomorrow.

serpico7 said:
Phil and Paul are talking about Hincapie being upset. I agree - what the hell was his old teammate LA and old coach JB doing? They couldn't have known that it would come down to 5 seconds, but still, they could have allowed George to pick up a few minutes and still be fine. He helped LA and JB to 7 Tour victories and they fvcked him today.

Astana allowed the break to go up over 8 minutes. Wasnt it AG2R that brought it back down and then Garmin? How did LA and JB fvck George?

thebluetrain said:
Astana allowed the break to go up over 8 minutes. Wasnt it AG2R that brought it back down and then Garmin? How did LA and JB fvck George?

That's the way I observed it as well, but didn't watch the entirety.. thought maybe I had missed something..lol.

Not to mention Hincapie's OWN team had* to push the pace in the final km to keep Cav right with Hushovd for the green jersey.

* - actually, Hushovd didn't look like he was going anywhere but Cav's wheel, so they could have probably just phoned it in.

thebluetrain said:
But if Astana doesn't ride at the front, the gap grows even larger b/c AG2R just wasn't strong enough to hold onto yellow w/o help. Why did Astana expend any energy at the front at all given the work they have ahead of them next week?

Garmin screwed Hincapie as well.

Check out the post-stage interview with Hincapie - he is upset at both those teams: Versus | Tour de France

serpico7 said:
But if Astana doesn't ride at the front, the gap grows even larger b/c AG2R just wasn't strong enough to hold onto yellow w/o help. Why did Astana expend any energy at the front at all given the work they have ahead of them next week?

Garmin screwed Hincapie as well.

Check out the post-stage interview with Hincapie - he is upset at both those teams: Versus | Tour de France
Why would Astana let the gap grow larger than what it was? So George can then have a 5 or 10 minute lead on GC going into the last week of the tour? No way in fvcking hell any team is going to allow that.
Come on man, give up the conspiracy theory.

thebluetrain said:
Why would Astana let the gap grow larger than what it was? So George can then have a 5 or 10 minute lead on GC going into the last week of the tour? No way in fvcking hell any team is going to allow that.
Come on man, give up the conspiracy theory.
Not 10min, but they could have comfortably kept Hicapie within 3-5 min.

serpico7 said:
Not 10min, but they could have comfortably kept Hicapie within 3-5 min.

Unless I'm mis-understanding what you're saying here.. they let it be larger that 3-5 minutes. They basically shut the engines down at ~ 8 min. That would have had him in the 3 minute range.. which was enough. It just didn't look to me like they tried to keep Hincapie out of yellow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mavrzXFDsXI"]YouTube - Tour de France 2009 Stage 14 Final Kilometers[/ame]

Mansmind said:
Unless I'm mis-understanding what you're saying here.. they let it be larger that 3-5 minutes. They basically shut the engines down at ~ 8 min. That would have had him in the 3 minute range.. which was enough. It just didn't look to me like they tried to keep Hincapie out of yellow.
Judging from his interview, Hincapie didn't see it that way.

Hincapie was upset at Astana/Garmin after the stage, but his knowledge of what was going on behind him was based upon whatever was being fed through his earpiece. Garmin did indeed push the pace when it ballooned out to 8 minutes, and it seemed to me that all Astana was doing after that point was to keep riders near the front as they always do, to guard against a split after a crash or other incident. I understand Hincapie's rancor against Astana in the heat of the moment, but I have a feeling that if he were to actually watch a recap of what occurred he'd back away from any criticism of that team. In the meantime, what would be the motivation for Astana to f-u-c-k with him? (Unless of course you're one of those "Lance is the Devil" fanatics who think he would begrudge his old lieutenant a moment of glory. Admit it. You're out there, you psychotics.) (Seriously, what schoolmarm activated a language filter for this f-u-c-k-i-n-g place?)

Cavendish stayed on his line, the barriers moved in. That's tough luck for Thor (and bad recon by his team) not irregular sprinting. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So Thor will get the green jersey because of a technicality whilst we all know Cavendish is the better sprinter. Hoo- ****ing-ray.

This is a race, why do anyone favours. Just because George wants to be in yellow does not mean he should have it. Maybe he should had tried harder if he could. I cannot believe this is even a little bit controversial; strange sport this one.:confused:

bells said:
This is a race, why do anyone favours. Just because George wants to be in yellow does not mean he should have it. Maybe he should had tried harder if he could. I cannot believe this is even a little bit controversial; strange sport this one.:confused:

Amen, brother. F all this political BS. May the best man win, not the most liked...

Eldrack said:
Cavendish stayed on his line, the barriers moved in. That's tough luck for Thor (and bad recon by his team) not irregular sprinting. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So Thor will get the green jersey because of a technicality whilst we all know Cavendish is the better sprinter. Hoo- ****ing-ray.
As much as i like Cav and I want to see him in green he did move to the right. At least that is my impression. So Hushovd has a point. As for what u say about better sprinter maybe they should award the green jersey to the sprinter with the most wins/seconds/thirds etc and not having that points system, it doesnt feel right for Cav to lose it when he has repeatedly kicked Hushovd's and Farrar's **** in the sprints...