29er Question

jwhuntman

Jul 11, 2011
Im looking for a new bike to ride with my 13 year old son. Just bought him a new road bike and I have a old MTB. I need to be able to ride with him on the road but dont want to lose the off-road ability. After seeing the 29er I thought of having one with a spare set of of wheels set up for road use. I know there is a weight difference between the two bikes. I dont know allot about hybreds but I do know anything that is a hybred lacks on both sides of what it is trying to cross. Any thoughts.

Hybrids are great for recreational and fitness riding, but you are right, most hybrids are not competitive in either world. If you are an aggressive mountain biker, you might want to consider just getting a road bike for riding with your son and keep your MTB a true MTB. If you aren't worried about competing or pushing the limits on pavement or off, then a hybrid is a good choice. It is possible to hybridize your MTB with some pavement friendly tires and maybe some sprocket ratio changes and still keep it quite capable off road with just a tire change.

I ride a Giant Boulder SE, that I put Bontrager H4 Eco tires on. The rear cassette is a Shimano 11-28 and the front end is an Alivio crankset with a 48 tooth #3 chainring. I stiffen up the adjustable fork for road riding and soften it up when riding unpaved back roads, fire trails, etc. The drivetrain still has plenty of range for both on road and off road (I don't do aggressive hill climbs but I suspect this would be a weak point even with more aggressive tires). I have ridden in non-competitive on-road group rides with this bike and it performs admirably. I'm assuming that a higher end hybrid would be perform even better.

Yes I think I will get a true roadbike and keep the MTB for when I need it. Thanks for your post and it does go along with what I have been thinking.

29r's are heavy overhyped pigs and make lousy mountain bikes and worse road bikes. Don't bother. The cat has been let out of the bag now; I was riding Fisher back in the early 1990's and the man is a genius but this 29r stuff is hot air. More and more smart guys are now willing to admit the Emperor is wearing no clothes. You should consider the hybrid; they are actually pretty darn good if you are doing mostly road.

Originally Posted by jwhuntman .

Im looking for a new bike to ride with my 13 year old son. Just bought him a new road bike and I have a old MTB. I need to be able to ride with him on the road but dont want to lose the off-road ability. After seeing the 29er I thought of having one with a spare set of of wheels set up for road use. I know there is a weight difference between the two bikes. I dont know allot about hybreds but I do know anything that is a hybred lacks on both sides of what it is trying to cross. Any thoughts.

29er's are great for what they are designed for, but to keep up with a roadie, you must have a road bike yourself. My friend can hold his own on a hybrid while I am on my road bike, but not for very long. I say get you a nice little roadie.