29er's are they good for larger riders?

Waumpuscat

Jul 9, 2003
I am new to mtn biking and have raced clydesdale in triathlons for the past 5 years. I really like to mtn bike and think that the 29s might be of interest. If I were to go the 29 route, what would be a good bike to look at if I were going to try to go towards the high end? Thanks from a new forum member

Phil

Waumpuscat said:
I am new to mtn biking and have raced clydesdale in triathlons for the past 5 years. I really like to mtn bike and think that the 29s might be of interest. If I were to go the 29 route, what would be a good bike to look at if I were going to try to go towards the high end? Thanks from a new forum member

Phil
phil
29's are great. i have heard the arguments against them, and none of them work for me. i am 6'3", 200lbs and there is no doubt they blow 26's away. if you are 5'8" 140 lbs, then the 26 may be best. but for me 29's rock. i ride a karate monkey and love it. sure it is a couple pounds heavier, but who cares. you will finish much earlier. mine is a single speed. if you want to ride gears, you might want to look at something else. if you have never ridden single speeds, i highly recommend it. the good thing about the karate monkey is you can put the good stuff on it, since you only buy the frame. a lot of guys i ride with show up for group rides with geared $4000 26ers. but on race day, they bring the 29ers and blow everyone away.