36+ inch rim source?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Howdy, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Howdy

    Howdy Guest

    I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
    vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
    http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/

    I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
    unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
    remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?

    Does anyone know of a source for unlaced 36 inch rims? I have custom
    hubs I need to spoke them to. Cannibalizing four of "the big one"
    unicycles seems stupid and pricey.

    Any other suggestions for even larger reasonably lightweight but
    capable "bicycle" tires/wheels for use on hard roads (pavement and
    gravel)? I roll on barrels to handle sand and mud.

    Here's a link to past glory (albeit modest) on the KSR circuit
    http://www.humboldtmusic.com/kinetic It should be plainly obvious I
    could use some more clearance between the barrels and the road for the
    narrow highly crowned farmroads we spend a lot of time on. Any wisedom
    on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
    spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?

    Thanks for any advice you can offer.

    Tags:

  2. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    "Howdy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
    > vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
    > http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/
    >
    > I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
    > unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
    > remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?
    >
    > Does anyone know of a source for unlaced 36 inch rims? I have custom
    > hubs I need to spoke them to. Cannibalizing four of "the big one"
    > unicycles seems stupid and pricey.
    >
    > Any other suggestions for even larger reasonably lightweight but
    > capable "bicycle" tires/wheels for use on hard roads (pavement and
    > gravel)? I roll on barrels to handle sand and mud.
    >
    > Here's a link to past glory (albeit modest) on the KSR circuit
    > http://www.humboldtmusic.com/kinetic It should be plainly obvious I
    > could use some more clearance between the barrels and the road for the
    > narrow highly crowned farmroads we spend a lot of time on. Any wisedom
    > on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
    > spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice you can offer.

    You're welcome. 48 spoke wheels.

    --
    Michael Press

  3. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Howdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
    > vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
    > http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/
    >
    > I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
    > unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
    > remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?
    >
    > Does anyone know of a source for unlaced 36 inch rims? I have custom
    > hubs I need to spoke them to. Cannibalizing four of "the big one"
    > unicycles seems stupid and pricey.
    >
    > Any other suggestions for even larger reasonably lightweight but
    > capable "bicycle" tires/wheels for use on hard roads (pavement and
    > gravel)? I roll on barrels to handle sand and mud.
    >
    > Here's a link to past glory (albeit modest) on the KSR circuit
    > http://www.humboldtmusic.com/kinetic It should be plainly obvious I
    > could use some more clearance between the barrels and the road for the
    > narrow highly crowned farmroads we spend a lot of time on. Any wisedom
    > on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
    > spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?

    Can't help you with the wheel questions but just wanted to say I had a blast
    spectating last year.

    Greg

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

  5. Howdy

    Howdy Guest

    I can see that a 48 spoke wheel would be more robust, but I'm having
    enough trouble finding any 36" rims let alone one with 48 holes.

    I did end up finding that Unicycle.com sells an unlaced 36 inch rim
    http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=569

    Greg, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the race. Come again. Or, better
    yet, build your own crazy contraption and join in the glory.

    Howdy Goudey

  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Howdy wrote:
    > I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
    > vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
    > http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/
    >
    > I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
    > unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
    > remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?
    >
    > Does anyone know of a source for unlaced 36 inch rims? I have custom
    > hubs I need to spoke them to. Cannibalizing four of "the big one"
    > unicycles seems stupid and pricey.
    >
    > Any other suggestions for even larger reasonably lightweight but
    > capable "bicycle" tires/wheels for use on hard roads (pavement and
    > gravel)? I roll on barrels to handle sand and mud.
    >
    > Here's a link to past glory (albeit modest) on the KSR circuit
    > http://www.humboldtmusic.com/kinetic It should be plainly obvious I
    > could use some more clearance between the barrels and the road for the
    > narrow highly crowned farmroads we spend a lot of time on. Any wisedom
    > on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
    > spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice you can offer.

    Build them out of laminated wood. Wood rims used to be fairly common on
    bicycles and other wheeled vehicles. Assuming your sculpture is low
    speed, it should work. What about tires?

  7. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    Howdy wrote:
    > I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
    > vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
    > http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/

    You're a little late, but the Da Vinci Days group runs design/build
    workshops for the KSR series:
    http://www.davinci-days.org/pdf_files/ksr06_workshop.pdf

    More about the KSR races at Da Vinci Days:
    http://www.davinci-days.org/kinetic_sculpture_race.php

    Nothing beats the Muckle Flugga!
    http://snorlax.lampi.org/mike/ptksr99/muckle.jpg

    Jeff

  8. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Howdy wrote:

    > I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
    > unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
    > remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?

    The 36" Coker tire is sturdy. The Coker rim, not so much.

    Coker 36" tires have become the favorite of touring and commuting
    unicyclists, such as those involved with the Alps Unicycle Tour:

    http://www.aut.unitours.org/index.htm
    http://www.aut.unitours.org/Update/Day09/D09200508091538AC51.htm

    Because the Coker uni's wheels are not really up to the job, there is
    now an aftermarket supplier of high-quality rims for the Coker tire.
    This rim is only available in 36 hole drilling, and it may or may not
    be suitable for 400 lbs/wheel loading. But it is a good strong rim
    that I have personally considered building a bike around.

    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=569
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=277
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=905

    > on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
    > spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?

    All else equal, 36 inch wheels will be a lot weaker than 26 inch
    wheels. However, the only aftermarket rims for 36 inch wheels are
    about 2-1/2 times heavier than a typical sturdy mountain bike rim.
    That should make up a lot of the difference.

    The other thing that will optimize wheel strength for your application
    is maximizing spoke bracing angle. You'll want to use
    wider-than-normal hubs if you can. Since there aren't just a huge
    range of spoke options for 36" wheels, you may have to make or retrofit
    hubs to accomodate a spoke length you can get. If you do that, though,
    then the hub width is a factor within your control.

    Chalo Colina

  9. Howdy

    Howdy Guest

    Chalo, thanks for the insights. The unitourers are very impressive.

    I'm hoping to reuse the custom hubs that I have been using with 26"
    rims. They are 3.5" flange to flange, I think. It would be nice to have
    more of an angle, I'm sure. Perhaps I can press on some drilled
    standoff rings on the shoulders on my hub to get at least 4" flange to
    flange. Although I should probably consider building new hubs. I'll
    check with the local custom wheel builder to see if they can get high
    quality spokes that will allow a four cross pattern with my hub and the
    Airfoil 36" rim.

    I've asked Coker for a spec on the 36" tire load rating, I'll post
    their response in case anyone is interested.

    Thanks.

    Howdy Goudey