'73 Peugeot U08 as fixed gear?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bikerjaz, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. Bikerjaz

    Bikerjaz Guest

    I'd like to convert my old clunker to a fixed gear. Would it be possible to upgrade the bottom
    bracket? Can I replace the old axle with one that will accommodate modern cranks (the original ones
    have cotter pins). Better yet, will the frame threads accept a BB cartridge? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. bikerjaz wrote:
    > I'd like to convert my old clunker to a fixed gear.

    These make pretty decent fixers once you get around bottom bracket issues.

    > Would it be possible to upgrade the bottom bracket? Can I replace the old axle with one that will
    > accommodate modern cranks (the original ones have cotter pins).

    Yes. You'll need a long (5**) series spindle, or else a French one such as TA. See:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html

    > Better yet, will the frame threads accept a BB cartridge?

    Phil Wood makes French-thread retaining rings. These work with the Phil Wood bottom brackets, but
    those cost more than your frame is worth. The rings also work with the recently discontinued Shimano
    UN-72 cartridge BBs if you can find one.

    We've got some Stronglight cartridge BBs in French thread, but they're rather long, 124 mm, so they
    won't give good chain line with most newere cranks.

    Then again, you could just keep the cottered cranks, they work OK, even if they are a bit heavy.

    Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/carapace.html#uo8" Brown +------------------------------------+
    | France, France...if not for you, | the world would be alone! | --Victor Hugo |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. Tom Dimauro

    Tom Dimauro Guest

    Because of the cold snowy winter I have started a conversion of several parts of old bikes to a
    fixed gear bike. Like you I had a 70's model bike, a FUGI Special Tourer with cotter pin pedals. I
    also had some nice parts (cranks and wheels) from an Austro Domplier bike (to bad the frame was
    bent). I don't know if what I did will work but this is it.

    I took the bottom bracket from the FUJI out and noticed that if I swapped out the spindle and
    bearings with the cups and the bearings from the Austro Domplier bike I could use the nice Cranks
    from the Austro. Everything seems to match up OK with the Bottom Bracket. The chainline even seems
    OK. My question to Sheldon is "Do you think this will work?" I have not "tightened" everything up
    yet. I thought that I would take the bike to my LBS and get it check out to make sure that I don't
    kill myself. However I am such a cheap SOB that I would like to do everything myself.

    PS.

    Sheldon I used the method (from your web page) of a track cog with a bottom bracket lock ring on the
    back old 5 speed free wheel hub and it seems to work just fine. I guess I have two questions
    (1.) Will the bottom bracket retro work or should I go and buy a new bottom bracket? (2.) How should
    I measure and pick out the new bottom bracket if necessary?

    Thanks in advance to any helpful comments.

    TOM D............................... (bike mechanic in my dreams)

  4. Tom DiMauro wrote:
    > Because of the cold snowy winter I have started a conversion of several=

    > parts of old bikes to a fixed gear bike. Like you I had a 70's model b=
    ike,
    > a FUGI Special Tourer with cotter pin pedals. I also had some nice par=
    ts
    > (cranks and wheels) from an Austro Domplier bike (to bad the frame was bent). I don't know if what
    > I did will work but this is it.
    >=20
    > I took the bottom bracket from the FUJI out and noticed that if I swapp=
    ed
    > out the spindle and bearings with the cups and the bearings from the Au=
    stro
    > Domplier bike I could use the nice Cranks from the Austro. Everything =
    seems
    > to match up OK with the Bottom Bracket. The chainline even seems OK. =
    My
    > question to Sheldon is "Do you think this will work?"=20

    Yep. The Fuji, like all Asian bikes, uses a standard ISO bottom=20 bracket, 68 mm. There's no
    problem finding parts for that, any standard =

    ISO 68 mm bottom bracket will fit.

    The Peugeot referred to in the "Subject:" heading uses the obsolete=20 French threading system for
    the bottom bracket and headset. That system =

    was pretty much abandoned for better-quality bikes in the late 1980s,=20 and is now
    virtually extinct.

    > PS.
    >=20
    > Sheldon I used the method (from your web page) of a track cog with a bo=
    ttom
    > bracket lock ring on the back old 5 speed free wheel hub and it seems t=
    > work just fine. I guess I have two questions
    > (1.) Will the bottom bracket retro work=20

    Yes.

    > or should I go and buy a new bottom bracket?=20

    No.

    > (2.) How should I measure and pick out the new bottom bracket if necessary?

    Standard ISO 68 mm bottom bracket. Spindle length required will depend=20 on the crankset chosen.

    Sheldon "Ice-O" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | I=92ll be appearing with the Sudbury Savoyards | In Gilbert & Sullivan=92s _Patience_ | February
    | 21-March 1, Sudbury, Massachusetts | http://sudburysavoyards.org |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  5. Tom Dimauro

    Tom Dimauro Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    TOM D.................

    news:[email protected]... Tom DiMauro wrote:
    > Because of the cold snowy winter I have started a conversion of several parts of old bikes to a
    > fixed gear bike. Like you I had a 70's model
    bike,
    > a FUGI Special Tourer with cotter pin pedals. I also had some nice parts (cranks and wheels) from
    > an Austro Domplier bike (to bad the frame was bent). I don't know if what I did will work but
    > this is it.
    >
    > I took the bottom bracket from the FUJI out and noticed that if I swapped out the spindle and
    > bearings with the cups and the bearings from the
    Austro
    > Domplier bike I could use the nice Cranks from the Austro. Everything
    seems
    > to match up OK with the Bottom Bracket. The chainline even seems OK. My question to Sheldon is "Do
    > you think this will work?"

    Yep. The Fuji, like all Asian bikes, uses a standard ISO bottom bracket, 68 mm. There's no problem
    finding parts for that, any standard ISO 68 mm bottom bracket will fit.

    The Peugeot referred to in the "Subject:" heading uses the obsolete French threading system for the
    bottom bracket and headset. That system was pretty much abandoned for better-quality bikes in the
    late 1980s, and is now virtually extinct.

    > PS.
    >
    > Sheldon I used the method (from your web page) of a track cog with a
    bottom
    > bracket lock ring on the back old 5 speed free wheel hub and it seems to work just fine. I guess I
    > have two questions
    > (1.) Will the bottom bracket retro work

    Yes.

    > or should I go and buy a new bottom bracket?

    No.

    > (2.) How should I measure and pick out the new bottom bracket if necessary?

    Standard ISO 68 mm bottom bracket. Spindle length required will depend on the crankset chosen.

    Sheldon "Ice-O" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | I’ll be appearing with the Sudbury Savoyards | In Gilbert & Sullivan’s _Patience_ | February
    | 21-March 1, Sudbury, Massachusetts | http://sudburysavoyards.org |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bikerjaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to convert my old clunker to a fixed gear. Would it be possible
    > upgrade the bottom bracket? Can I replace the old axle with one that will accommodate modern
    > cranks (the original ones have cotter pins). Better
    yet,
    > will the frame threads accept a BB cartridge?

    If at all possible, get a classic Sugino or Shimano crank which uses a loose-ball BB. You can use
    that spindle with your existing French 35mm cups in most cases ( use loose balls, not retainers in
    your Peugeot cups). If the BB width is insufficient, which is possible, you can swap the spindle
    from a type 3 to a type 5 of the same length.

    Other routes involve more pain and/or more money.

    Modern cranks are designed for disposable cartridge BBs that are way too short for loose-bearing
    setups. That type of spindle was discontinued as the trend to ultra-short legths got rolling. Your
    Metric frame won;t accept either of the two redaily-available cups.

    It is indeed possible to get everything on earth from Phil Wood, but your bike ( and I love
    Peugeots, but still. . . ) is hardly worth it. You can have the BB filled and rethreaded to but
    again not within a normal commuter bike project budget.

    So find a classic crank, move the spindle into your cups and go for a ride!

  7. "bikerjaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'd like to convert my old clunker to a fixed gear. Would it be possible to upgrade the bottom
    > bracket? Can I replace the old axle with one that will accommodate modern cranks (the original
    > ones have cotter pins). Better yet, will the frame threads accept a BB cartridge? Thanks!

    Calling on my detailed knowledge of the thread pitches of 1973 Peugeot
    U08s...I say try it. You can't loose trying to spin it in there. My 1972 Coppi frame had a cotter'd
    crank as well, but it's running a standard Athena BB now as my fixed. Most of the bikes I've
    seen from that vintage have nice long horizontal rear drop outs which is really nice to have.

    -a

  8. "bikerjaz" wrote:

    >>I'd like to convert my old clunker to a fixed gear. Would it be possible to upgrade the bottom
    >>bracket? Can I replace the old axle with one that will accommodate modern cranks (the original
    >>ones have cotter pins). Better yet, will the frame threads accept a BB cartridge? Thanks!

    A misinformed poster offered some very bad advice:

    > Calling on my detailed knowledge of the thread pitches of 1973 Peugeot
    > U08s...I say try it. You can't loose trying to spin it in there.

    You certainly can, 'cause you'll likely wreck the threads. The French threading on the Peugeot is 35
    mm diameter, 1 mm pitch (25.4 tpi)right hand thread on both sides.

    Standard ISO bb size is 1.37 inches, 34.8 mm with a coarser 24 tpi pitch. You might be able to
    shoehorn the left side (adjustable) cup in.

    The right side (fixed) cup, however is threaded in the opposited direction, so there's absolutely no
    chance of getting it in without wrecking the thread.

    > My 1972 Coppi frame had a cotter'd crank as well, but it's running a standard Athena BB now as my
    > fixed. Most of the bikes I've seen from that vintage have nice long horizontal rear drop outs
    > which is really nice to have.

    The Coppi would be Italian thread, 36 mm x 24 tpi (yes, the Italians mix units) with right threading
    on both sides. Campagnolo bottom brackets continue to be offered in this size, but French is just
    about extinct.

    | For every complex problem, there is a solution | that is simple, neat, and wrong. | --H. L.
    | Mencken |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  9. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest