A top end bike is too expensive nowadays...

This is from Weight Weenies re: a Cervelo problem:

…by the skin of my teeth:

What I remember most is staring into space in my basement over the realization that my R3 was cracked. My story has reached conclusion and this is meant as a big-time plug for Cervelo. It has nothing to do with the R2.5 de-bonding fiasco.

What happened:
-I was replacing a bottom bracket that had a failed bearing and noticed the non-drive cup hardly had any torque on it. So, I tried to re-torque it.
-I started at 20ft pounds. I heard cracking long before I got there. I thought the new carbon/ti BB must be faulty. Instead, it was the flanged, drive-side, of the BB that was beginning to crack its way out.
-Two cracks followed arcs, each ~5mm away from the metal shell and concentric to it.

The damage must have occurred either during the last time I did the BB, or sometime between then and now, I thought. The question, of course, was is this a warrantee issue?, or would Cervelo maintain I over-torqued their two-piece bottom bracket shell.

After sending pictures to Cervelo for a determination and Calfee for an estimate of repair, Cervelo came back and wanted to see the frame. Once in their hands, I was told they would have to cut in to it to reach a final conclusion. At this point, I had an estimate that was for a small fraction of the R3 crash-replacement cost and I had already maintained with the dealer that I would need it back, if it weren't going to be warranted. Things were getting touchy.

Two days after cutting it apart I got the call that they would be sending another frame out, no charge, but that the official position was that it was not a warrantee replacement. Huh? The bottom bracket had been over-torqued, they said. Cervelo felt that because they hadn't published a torque spec, sympathy should be taken upon owners who use proper torque wrenches and end up in this situation (a shop probably would have been stuck). I used values as high as 45 foot pounds, which is about 5 below the maximum specified by Park Tool for Campy/Shimano for cartridge ISIS brackets. When removing stuff, I still use a torque wrench and sometimes add higher numbers (~10ft lbs) to free fasteners. I was requesting a warrantee replacement on the basis that, all things considered, the numbers that frame saw were within reason.

They conceded to the dealer that ISIS bottom brackets pose a different kind of stress on the shells than do exo BBs. They weren’t admitting a flaw, so much as informing that the failure mode is different (over expansion) and that mine was consistent with ISIS. I felt better when the new frame appeared with a torque spec tag on it that said 25.8 foot pounds! Evidently, these tags are to come on Cervelo frames going forward.

Given that there are a number of bottom brackets with higher maximal values, I thought this was definitely something to share. So, go easy and GO CERVELO!

So much for Cervelo engineering, quality, and so on. Thanks, but no thanks.

alienator said:
I test rode one, and part of the test ride was up a 20%+ grade, and the BB felt just fine. Actually, the bike felt better up that road than my Moots. That said, I don't buy into this whole "stiffness" craze, and according to some that were at Eurobike, quite a few manufacturers are realizing the stiffness fetish has gone too far.

Aesthetically, I think the BB looks great. It's got that classic look, with a modern patina. It's much better looking than the BB abortions that Cervelo makes.
:( You just put a dampener on my Cervelo SLC-SL frameset dreams. I know they are not traditional in shape - but aren't they the result of like 1000 computer simulations by the proverbial engineers in lab coats?

And not that I've tried every good bike out there, but I'm 190lbs and it felt good (stiff) coming from my current, mushier feeling, frame. Your saying that the stiffness component is over-hyped currently. That's interesting (no sarcasm intended here).

I thought Tom Boonen cost Specialized a fortune custom-making a stiffer, better geometry frame. Then again he probably puts out 1400+ watts at the end of a race. A little more than I could achieve. And the rest of the Specialized endorsed boys on Quick-step and the defunct Gerolsteiner ride off-the-rack frames.

PS [Edit] I posted this before seeing the story above.

For my regular commuter bike I have a Look VTT Fournalés fork, titanium frame, Rohloff gear, LBS drilled 'Mavic' rims. So it doesn't take all that much before you're up in the $1000s even for a raggy regular bike that you know will be stolen one day soon.

Crankyfeet said:
:( You just put a dampener on my Cervelo SLC-SL frameset dreams. I know they are not traditional in shape - but aren't they the result of like 1000 computer simulations by the proverbial engineers in lab coats?

That's what Cervelo and their marketing guys would like you to think. If you ask them, they'd prolly say they're due for a Nobel Prize soon.

Crankyfeet said:
Your saying that the stiffness component is over-hyped currently.

There is zero correlation between stiffness and performance.

I haven't read the whole thread, but it would be a shame if bike manufacturers were so focussed on catering to the weekend riding mid-forties guy with lots of disposable income, that they priced the young talented guys who really need the good equipment and don't have lots of $$$, out of the market.

Crankyfeet said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but it would be a shame if bike manufacturers were so focussed on catering to the weekend riding mid-forties guy with lots of disposable income, that they priced the young talented guys who really need the good equipment and don't have lots of $$$, out of the market.

It'd be a shame if the young talented guys were so lazy that they couldn't expend the energy to find one of the reasonably priced bikes out there.

I expended about 43 seconds of effort to find CAAD8 Optimo 1 for a whopping $1349. Dang, y'all, that ain't no where's near $4000. Dagnabit, I guess that means there ARE great bikes available at good prices. Hmmmm. Imagine that.

People have been whining almost since catalogs were invented about not being able to buy their dream product, their fantasy purchase, the one thing that if they had the money, they'd buy. Hmmm.

There is an easy solution:
  1. Get a better education.
  2. Get a higher paying job.
  3. Cut spending on unneccesary things.
  4. Save money so that someday you can buy that bike that you soooooooo want, soooooooo need, and are sooooo upset that someone had the audacity to price without conferring with you first.

Or I guess the whiners could get more realistic expectations.

Crankyfeet said:

Point #2 is that, of course, the whole idea that there is a mass of mid-forties, weekend-only riding guys that are driving the market. Alas, that's far from the truth. The vast--and the emphasis is on vast--majority of bikes for sale cost significantly less than $4000 or whatever price people have pulled out of their asses. High end bikes make up only a small percentage of total bike sales, just as Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Bugatti's make up a small percentage of car sales.

One thing is true: as a result of innovations, modifications, and other *ations found in high end bike products, low to middle end bikes and bike products have seen quite a large performance and quality improvement. Of course, admitting as much would make all this whining look petty, pathetic, and downright embarrassing.

Let's take JTE83 or whoever he is as an example: he has his cherished Cervelo but whines because he can't afford the über high zoot stuff; however, it's likely that his performance requirements could be perfectly met by a bike at the pricepoint of that lowly CAAD8 Optimo 1. That he didn't buy such a lowly bike is solely the result of his choices, not of any market factors. Full, complete stop. You may now undo your waistbelt, lift the knee bar, and exit the ride to the left.

alienator said:
It'd be a shame if the young talented guys were so lazy that they couldn't expend the energy to find one of the reasonably priced bikes out there.

I expended about 43 seconds of effort to find CAAD8 Optimo 1 for a whopping $1349. Dang, y'all, that ain't no where's near $4000. Dagnabit, I guess that means there ARE great bikes available at good prices. Hmmmm. Imagine that.

People have been whining almost since catalogs were invented about not being able to buy their dream product, their fantasy purchase, the one thing that if they had the money, they'd buy. Hmmm.

There is an easy solution:
  1. Get a better education.
  2. Get a higher paying job.
  3. Cut spending on unneccesary things.
  4. Save money so that someday you can buy that bike that you soooooooo want, soooooooo need, and are sooooo upset that someone had the audacity to price without conferring with you first.

Or I guess the whiners could get more realistic expectations.
Sorry A, but that CAAD8 Optimo frame just isn't impressive. After all, it's a mass-marketed brand available at LBS dealers almost everywhere. It's made in the US, not Italy, Spain or some other exotic locale. And, worst of all, it's just aluminum, which we know is OK for short rides and crit races, but way too harsh for any centuries or any multi-day rides. Really, who would want to be seen on such a lowly ride? :)

dhk2 said:
Sorry A, but that CAAD8 Optimo frame just isn't impressive. After all, it's a mass-marketed brand available at LBS dealers almost everywhere. It's made in the US, not Italy, Spain or some other exotic locale. And, worst of all, it's just aluminum, which we know is OK for short rides and crit races, but way too harsh for any centuries or any multi-day rides. Really, who would want to be seen on such a lowly ride? :)

Damn! You're right. I guess what they say is true, that a Parlee Z1, a Spin Gato, and Pinarello Carbon Prince should all cost less than $789. After all, that is the gods given right of every cyclist everywhere.

alienator said:
Damn! You're right. I guess what they say is true, that a Parlee Z1, a Spin Gato, and Pinarello Carbon Prince should all cost less than $789. After all, that is the gods given right of every cyclist everywhere.
I always hear about margins for bike shops.

But.....what is the margin on bikes for the makers(Trek, Pinarello, etc) ??

Oh the irony you guys. Whining about Whiners.

Seriously Alienator. I really respect your opinion. You obviously don't owe me anything. But just take the price out of the decision. Is a Cervelo frameset poor? Or are you being affected in your judgment by emotional factors like JTE83 rides one, or they look like they've been molded out of clay, or an LBS guy tried to tell you that they were the best and argued with you about it. Or team CSC rides 'em and you don't like team CSC. Or you've got it in for Canucks, french-speaking ones at that.

I guess what I'm saying is I just want the best engineered frame. I'm not trying to show-off (I think?). I don't mind paying $1300 for the best frame. I don't mind if it is plain black with no decals. I've just got the ability to afford that bike (whatever the price point - low or higher) and I am looking forward to good feelings riding it, irrespective of my riding talent (which is not so bad that a decent frame would go to waste IMHO).

PS. BTW thanks for the link to the hubble telescope youtube bit.

The BB failure was on an R3, so that doesn't mean that the Soloist's BB are bad too.

Alienator - I can't afford to pay retail or bike shop prices on uber zoot high end expensive stuff. I only get this kind of stuff on web sales, bike shop clearances, or especially ebay.

Some stuff I couldn't afford but got them because of ebay or whatever -

$1650 ergomo pro from ebay for $1230 shipped
$1750 Zipp 404 clinchers for $1130 ebay shipped.
FSA Superlight cranks for $285 ebay
5 Polar Powermeters, 1st from an online shop for $240 with warranty, next 4 from ebay for $173 to $220 ebay auction price.
Grade 3 ACCEL wheel ceramic bearings for $50 each (4 sets)

CF Cervelo Soloist Team Campy Chorus Ksyrium Sl for $3015 ebay. Sure beats bike shop prices of $3200 just for the F & F !

Yeah, there are cheap bikes that can make you happy, but that's not the topic of this thread.

And now I'm looking for a high end compact crank for my Trek Pilot 2.1 spa but I just can't afford the $629 they want for them (like the Stronglight or FSA K Force lights). So definitely ebay again. Or Freewheeler bike shop for custom orders (where I got my Raleigh on a big discount).

Very amusing!!

I used to have a Porsche 924(ok, not top of the line but I enjoyed it) which cost me $3300(sold for $2800) a few years ago which I'm pretty sure is less than my race bike cost me.
I have two Felt bikes.

Paul :)

ovalbackmarker said:
It's all relative. I am a Porsche mechanic and recently a customer was noticing the Felt bike that I rode to work.His first question was"how much does a bike like that cost?" I told him about $2500 dollars and his shocked reply was"you spent $2500 for a bike?" I quickly replied" you spent $100,000 for a car?"

You people in the USA get bikes stuff CHEAP !!

Here in New Zealand where our $ is now at about .72 cents to your $ (it was up to .80 cents earlier in the year) we pay heaps for our gear(especially new & retail).

Examples; - latest, lightest Scott(you know, apparently lightest frame made) cost $21 000 retail.

Cannondale 6/13s etc , mostly Dura ace equiped at $8 - 9 000 +

I've got 3 pairs of Look CX 7 pedals on the three bikes I use(I inner pronate on my left leg - these work for me).
I got all of them off ebay USA(and 1 pair that never turned up and no $ back !!).
Retail at one shop here was $950 !! Another shop had them for $870!!

Australian bike magazine Ride (good mag) has a Braum? bike featured at
$22 900. $1700 for carbon bb and cranks. $1900 for carbon brake calipers....

Litespeed wheels $5995 retail

I could go on.....

Paul :)

JTE83 said:
The BB failure was on an R3, so that doesn't mean that the Soloist's BB are bad too.

Alienator - I can't afford to pay retail or bike shop prices on uber zoot high end expensive stuff. I only get this kind of stuff on web sales, bike shop clearances, or especially ebay.

Some stuff I couldn't afford but got them because of ebay or whatever -

$1650 ergomo pro from ebay for $1230 shipped
$1750 Zipp 404 clinchers for $1130 ebay shipped.
FSA Superlight cranks for $285 ebay
5 Polar Powermeters, 1st from an online shop for $240 with warranty, next 4 from ebay for $173 to $220 ebay auction price.
Grade 3 ACCEL wheel ceramic bearings for $50 each (4 sets)

CF Cervelo Soloist Team Campy Chorus Ksyrium Sl for $3015 ebay. Sure beats bike shop prices of $3200 just for the F & F !

Yeah, there are cheap bikes that can make you happy, but that's not the topic of this thread.
If any of them brake you are SOL. If you have any problems you are SOL. You are not getting a warranty, and any LBS owner or employee will tell you people with broken Ebay parts complaining about them are irritating. We can't fix them, we can't install them without charging and you don't have a warranty so if they break it is your problem.

You are not just paying for a part, you are paying for warranty and service. Buy from Ebay and you better know your way around a toolbox and/or be lucky.

And about margins, they differ, but the margins are much less than you may think. We don't make a fortune off every bike. Granted it is a step up from little things, but rare, and if we sold the equivalent retail value in parts, we'd make a lot more.

So don't blame your LBS if you can't get it cheap. They don't set the prices, distributors do. We won't sell it to you for below cost+shipping+tax because that means we're paying someone else to give you a part.

bobbyOCR said:
If any of them brake you are SOL. If you have any problems you are SOL. You are not getting a warranty, and any LBS owner or employee will tell you people with broken Ebay parts complaining about them are irritating. We can't fix them, we can't install them without charging and you don't have a warranty so if they break it is your problem.

You are not just paying for a part, you are paying for warranty and service. Buy from Ebay and you better know your way around a toolbox and/or be lucky.

And about margins, they differ, but the margins are much less than you may think. We don't make a fortune off every bike. Granted it is a step up from little things, but rare, and if we sold the equivalent retail value in parts, we'd make a lot more.

So don't blame your LBS if you can't get it cheap. They don't set the prices, distributors do. We won't sell it to you for below cost+shipping+tax because that means we're paying someone else to give you a part.

What he said, +7.

alienator said:
What he said, +7.
Still curious about the margins for the makers.

+7 not withstanding.

--------------------------------------------------------
Edit because I spell like **** when I'm drunk.

DrunkenBiker said:
Still curious about the margins for the makers.

+7 not withstanding.

Why don't you write, call, or visit them to find out? What makes you think that anyone here knows?

What is your before tax annual income?

alienator said:
Why don't you write, call, or visit them to find out? What makes you think that anyone here knows?

What is your before tax annual income?
Alienator,

You are, as usual, a bore.

I ask this question because I've worked for a couple companies over the years that had obscene margins.

Trek seems private. Giant seems private. Anthole seems private. Moots(or is it Mooch) is private.

Who do I ask exactly ??

Every simpleton here, you included, has all sorts of stories about how the near by LBS has a razor sharp margin. That may be true.

But I hear nothing about maker profits.