Will Top End Shoes make a Performance Diff?

Rob Havemeyer

Sep 12, 2007
My first post on these Forums...

I was looking for advice from anyone with first hand knowledge of a shoe upgrade and making a performance difference? Say entry level shoe to a carbon shoe... I know I read reviews of the best carbon shoes and reviewers say their stiff comfortable etc. But could someone help out with any details..?
(i.e. Could sprint 1mph faster, could hold just below LT longer?, Average speed a tad better, Hill climbs with ease ?)

My brief background: I've only been road riding for 5 months, I have a decent bike set up Trek Carbon, reynolds fork, full dura-ace, I just upgraded my wheels and I am pretty happy with every thing But. Training being #1 anyway, I've been looking to upgrade a few other components that will help give me a performance boost. I've entered 10+ cat 5 races and am looking for things that will help with performance. One area I've been thinking about is shoes. I've been riding on a pair of Forte (performance brand 310 road shoes) They fit great No-issues but I do notice some play in the heal, and the upper seems to be a bit mushy now in sprints and hills after 2500 miles & racing. I'm thinking that I'm loosing efficiency and power due to the mesh upper/heal and the play it has.

Sorry for the long msg, Any first hand advence will help...

It's the engine. Higher end shoes will be more comfortable, but in terms of performance boost it's doubtful.

You've GOTTA have snugs shoes. Maybe wear another pair of socks or put in another insole to tighten them up if you think they've stretched. You could lose 1mph (or more) in a sprint if your feet are flopping around in there.

Some people will argue 'til they're blue in the face that lighter shoes make you faster because they have to be "spun around" at speed and 'lifted' (if you do some Googling you should find some stuff) -- some of them use running analogies, but I don't buy it. If they're talking a pound difference per shoe, then I'll read the articles, but they ain't. :)

Others swear that they get better power transfer to the pedals with super-stiff carbon soles, but I've never noticed any difference.

As long as the shoes fit right and the straps are still good, they should be ok.

Defintely the need to be snug. Unlike a regular shoe that you would think is the wrong size, cycling shoes are geared to be snug like slippers. Carbon soled shoes are nice, they give you a good stiff platform, but they ain't gonna win you a race.

The only way shoes are going to make you faster is if they fit really well. Shoes that don't fit well are not only mechanically inefficient, but, more importantly, they fatigue the rider more quickly. That extra fatigue is the performance killer.

If a $28 pair of cycling shoes fits well/is comfy, then it's highly doubtful that a more expensive pair of shoes is going to make you faster.