? about replacing cantilever brake pads



Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

Guest
Hi Folks

Could you tell me the procedure for taking out the old brake pads. I have had a look and I cannot
seem to get proper access to the nut holding the brake pad, on the other side of the nut I have seen
what might be a Alan key hole am I supposed to use an Alan key to release the brake pad. Or am I
supposed to loosen other components of the brake system to be able to gain proper access to the
brake pad nut. Or is this one of things you just take it to a bike shop and say here are the pads
could you replace the old ones. TIA

Yours Chris

--
To reply add ntlworld.com to my e-mail address
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Folks
>
> Could you tell me the procedure for taking out the old brake pads. I have had a look and I cannot
> seem to get proper access to the nut holding the brake pad, on the other side of the nut I have
> seen what might be a Alan
key
> hole am I supposed to use an Alan key to release the brake pad. Or am I supposed to loosen other
> components of the brake system to be able to gain proper access to the brake pad nut. Or is this
> one of things you just
take
> it to a bike shop and say here are the pads could you replace the old
ones.
> TIA

Have a shufty at this:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
C

Chris

Guest
"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > Could you tell me the procedure for taking out the old brake pads. I
have
> > had a look and I cannot seem to get proper access to the nut holding the brake pad, on the other
> > side of the nut I have seen what might be a Alan
> key
> > hole am I supposed to use an Alan key to release the brake pad. Or am I supposed to loosen other
> > components of the brake system to be able to
gain
> > proper access to the brake pad nut. Or is this one of things you just
> take
> > it to a bike shop and say here are the pads could you replace the old
> ones.
> > TIA
>
> Have a shufty at this:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml
>
>
> --
> Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Hi Simon

Thanks for the pointer, looks like just the site for an amateur like myself.

Yours Chris
 
G

GearóId Ó Laoi

Guest
> Have a shufty at this:
>
A shufty?

Never seen that before.

I've heard butcher's, sconce, look obviously. In Ireland also, throw an eye on

Where's that word from Simon?
 
T

Tim Hall

Guest
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:05:15 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Have a shufty at this:
>>>
>> A shufty?
>>
>> Never seen that before.
>>
>
>You've lived a sheltered life Gary ;-) http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/s.htm

But that doesn't tell us its origins. However <http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-shu1.htm> gives a
theory. (For those who CBA to click, it is suggested "shufti" was originally an Arabic word that got
into English from military servicemen stationed in Arabic speaking countries.

Tim
--

fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.