Advice for newbie?

Like you, @sgcyclistsg, I also commute everyday to faculty and latter on to the supermarket to buy things for home. My doubt is if I can put some basket in a mountain bike without losing the agility it provides. What do you think?

How long is your commute? I'm assuming you aren't taking this bike to the trail? If you're concerned about handling, I think a rear rack + rack trunk/pannier would be less obtrusive.

I personally just carry a backpack to work. Laptops these days are very light + on days when I take public transport due to bad weather I bring more spare clothes so that I can travel light when I cycle.

Cycling is something that we can always learn from, and if we ride the same trail everyday then we can still learn new things, and you can't do that with a lot of other hobbies.

People who don't cycle just think it's about getting on a bike, learning to balance and away you go, but there's a lot more to it than that.

For me the best is just the fact that my body gets activated and that I simply go out enjoying the simple things of live and be in touch with the real world...

Reactions: pwarbi
For me the best is just the fact that my body gets activated and that I simply go out enjoying the simple things of live and be in touch with the real world...

Sometimes I think we are in danger of taking cycling too seriously, and we can get caught up in riding styles, equipment, nutrition, things like that instead of just enjoying getting on a bike and going for a ride.

A lot depends on what form of cycling we're doing aswell though, and if we're looking at entering the Tour De France for example, we're going to have to take it more seriously than a Sunday afternoon bike ride to the local pub for a pint and a bite to eat!

How long is your commute? I'm assuming you aren't taking this bike to the trail? If you're concerned about handling, I think a rear rack + rack trunk/pannier would be less obtrusive.

I personally just carry a backpack to work. Laptops these days are very light + on days when I take public transport due to bad weather I bring more spare clothes so that I can travel light when I cycle.

No, I do not go trough any trail to commute to work... just normal streets and bikeways. I also use a bag, but the idea of the basket would be for some supermarket purchases and so on.

Firstly, you should never write yourself off too soon! You say that you can't do it, and I don't even know you but I am fairly certain that isn't the truth - as I am a firm believer than anybody can do anything that they're willing to train for. Yes, you will need to train hard, and you will certainly have to push yourself more and more every time you go out, but if you gradually build it up then the routes that you originally thought you would never do will suddenly look much better, and you will find that they are more achievable! Keep the faith, and I am sure that you will get there.

Reactions: sgcyclistsg
Sometimes I think we are in danger of taking cycling too seriously, and we can get caught up in riding styles, equipment, nutrition, things like that instead of just enjoying getting on a bike and going for a ride.

A lot depends on what form of cycling we're doing aswell though, and if we're looking at entering the Tour De France for example, we're going to have to take it more seriously than a Sunday afternoon bike ride to the local pub for a pint and a bite to eat!

So true, but that usually happens when competition is involved because if we are just doing it in a recreational way we just enjoy ourselves with no stress.

Stress reduction if for sure the main reason I adopted the cycling life. My days are always better after cycling and I recommend it for everyone at work... no new "bikers" yet.... but I now they will understand.

I'd imagine that most people that take up cycling will have an ulterior motive in the first place, and its not just because they've suddenly thought it up from out if the blue.

Advice from doctors or other health care professionals, will also play a part in a lot of people taking up cycling, because even they know what it can bring to a persons life.

In my city, the majority of people that start cycling was not because of health, but because of traffic! Can you believe it? The traffic here become so, so bad that people had no choice besides getting a bike!

It is for sure not the best reason to start cycling, but at least made people realize how good it is!

That's a big motivation really and I do that myself sometimes. Instead of grabbing the car I get the bike and off I go, many times I arrive faster than if driving.

In my city, the majority of people that start cycling was not because of health, but because of traffic! Can you believe it? The traffic here become so, so bad that people had no choice besides getting a bike!

It is for sure not the best reason to start cycling, but at least made people realize how good it is!

Congestion around towns and cities can be a big problem here in the UK aswell, and a lot of businesses will run a 'cycle to work' scheme. Basically the government give certain businesses money so they can subsidise the cost of a bike to any of their employees that sign up to it.

It's a way of being environmentally friendly, aswell as trying to ease the amount of traffic. In theory it's a good idea, I'm not sure if it's going to work or not though.

There are lots of benefits sure. The environment, our health, our pocket, it's a all win situation.

There a certainly more benefits than what there is negatives, and that's why I think if people want to keep fit, but don't want to go to the gym, then cycling is probably the best of both worlds for them.

I'd recommend checking out MTBTips.

These tips were really helpful, and helped me overcome some climbs I couldn't the last time.

After slipping off lots of rocks/roots and pushing the bike up countless mounds/switchbacks I survived one loop of the black diamond trail. Where I'm at with the trail atm:
- fear factor has gone down, only 1 particularly steep, rocky descent that I don't dare ride down.
- with a few exceptions, most of the climbs are doable in terms of power while in the lowest gear, but momentum killers (like well placed rocks and roots) near the apex or on sharp turns make them almost impossible for me atm
- I hate rock gardens!

Most of the footage turned out to be unusable due to lack of stability (was using stem mount instead of chest mount) or rain on the lens; these some of the smoother sections I nitpicked:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Doesn't look like you're that much of a newbie to me! Keep this up and you'll be just fine. Try to push yourself a bit more each time you go out. Also -- don't do jumps until you have a firm understanding of the velocity you'll have going in, at least I know that from the hard way.

I am scared to go beyond a dirt road on a mountain bike. Reading all these posts has really helped me as a newbie as well.

Videos look nice! I would buy a bike if I were you (if you are in the position to do that of course). Using the same gear every time makes you more comfortable as well and you can modify it to your liking. For the terrain in the second video I would look into a thicker tire by the way. It'll create a little more drag going uphill but it gives you a lot more stability and grip on the rocks and downhill sections.

"Also, does 27.5" or 29" make a significant difference? The bike in the video is a 27.5" I rented."

26, 27.5 or 29 wheel roll just fine. But do they make a difference? Unfortunately yes. 26 are more nimble in the corners, 29ers are better in rolling over terrain because of the big wheels and 27.5 is a good compromise between the two.

26, because of the smaller wheels will be a be a bit rough compared with a 29er on rugged, technical trails but a 29er will be more difficult to maneouver in trails that are twisty and turny. 27.5 is the middle ground and is said to be a good compromise.

at least that's what my friend who rides for a living said. I ride a 26er enduro bike right now and it does just fine. Imo... get what you can lay your hands on, proper fit, and just enjoy!

Awesome video indeed, trailing looks like a lot of fun, I was initially scared to test it out though.

Videos look nice! I would buy a bike if I were you (if you are in the position to do that of course). Using the same gear every time makes you more comfortable as well and you can modify it to your liking. For the terrain in the second video I would look into a thicker tire by the way. It'll create a little more drag going uphill but it gives you a lot more stability and grip on the rocks and downhill sections.

I am VERY tempted to get a 29" full suspension bike, but find it hard to justify spending a whole month's salary on one. If I'm being honest, I'll probably only use it 20-30 times a year, as I already have a hybrid for daily commutes. Rental for the bike I was using (which was decent, disc brakes and gears were smooth) costs me around USD$20 for the whole day.

I'm not saying never... but for now at least I won't be getting one soon. Maybe if I get a pay raise haha.