Advice Needed: Urban Bike for TALL Guy

In article <[email protected]>,
Fitz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am OBSESSED with the Cannondale Bad Boy Disc (http://
> www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/urban/badboy/model-7BRD.html) but I
> was wondering if there are other manufacturers out there that produce
> a similar bike that I might consider. It must be an XL fame as I am
> 6'6" tall. Thanks!!

What are you thinking of as a "similar" bike? For urban use, I think
it's better to eschew high tech and go for simple, practical and
durable. For a fraction of the price you could by a bike that would get
you around perfectly well and attract nearly zero attention from bike
thieves- unlike the Cannondale which would be gone in a flash if you
locked it up outside in many cities in the US and left it unguarded.

My "urban" bike is a simple lugged frame with an old Bendix coaster
brake hub. One speed, practically bullet proof, flat tires are about
all that is likely to go wrong with the bike on a decade of use.

On Jun 30, 11:29 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Fitz wrote:
> > Greetings,

> > I am OBSESSED with the Cannondale Bad Boy Disc (http://
> >www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/urban/badboy/model-7BRD.html) but I
> > was wondering if there are other manufacturers out there that produce
> > a similar bike that I might consider. It must be an XL fame as I am
> > 6'6" tall. Thanks!!

> indestructible. urban. unbeatable economics.
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...

The 23" + $100 craigslist part donor bike= $150 urban bike with a new
frame.

jim beam wrote:

> indestructible. urban. unbeatable economics.
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...

I have been intrigued about those frames for a long time. I have held
off getting one thus far because the tall sizes are very short in the
top tube/front center. They might be OK for a drop bar or cowhorn bar
setup, probably not for a 6.5-footer using flat bars.

It's true that they are the best value I know of in a sturdy, non-
cheesy 26" wheeled frame.

Chalo

On Jun 30, 5:03 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
> > indestructible. urban. unbeatable economics.

> >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...

> I have been intrigued about those frames for a long time. I have held
> off getting one thus far because the tall sizes are very short in the
> top tube/front center. They might be OK for a drop bar or cowhorn bar
> setup, probably not for a 6.5-footer using flat bars.

Perfect time to use some moustache bars! I've been very close to
getting one of them as well, for when I pick up another nice used bike
with the invariably small frame, but decent parts.

I don't see the virtual top tube sizes on the site, though. Ya think
the 23" is something like 60cm?

landotter wrote:
> On Jun 30, 5:03 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> indestructible. urban. unbeatable economics.
>>> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...

>> I have been intrigued about those frames for a long time. I have held
>> off getting one thus far because the tall sizes are very short in the
>> top tube/front center. They might be OK for a drop bar or cowhorn bar
>> setup, probably not for a 6.5-footer using flat bars.

> Perfect time to use some moustache bars! I've been very close to
> getting one of them as well, for when I pick up another nice used bike
> with the invariably small frame, but decent parts.
>
> I don't see the virtual top tube sizes on the site, though. Ya think
> the 23" is something like 60cm?

if i remember, i'll measure for you when i get home from vacation. and
chalo, i'm very near the same height as you - that frame works great for
me. for $50, experimentation /is/ an option.

On Jun 30, 6:46 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:

> >> I have been intrigued about those frames for a long time. I have held
> >> off getting one thus far because the tall sizes are very short in the
> >> top tube/front center. They might be OK for a drop bar or cowhorn bar
> >> setup, probably not for a 6.5-footer using flat bars.

> > Perfect time to use some moustache bars! I've been very close to
> > getting one of them as well, for when I pick up another nice used bike
> > with the invariably small frame, but decent parts.

> > I don't see the virtual top tube sizes on the site, though. Ya think
> > the 23" is something like 60cm?

> if i remember, i'll measure for you when i get home from vacation. and
> chalo, i'm very near the same height as you - that frame works great for
> me. for $50, experimentation /is/ an option.- Hide quoted text -

hey take your time dude

datakoll wrote:
> On Jun 30, 6:46 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> landotter wrote:
>>> Perfect time to use some moustache bars! I've been very close to
>>> getting one of them as well, for when I pick up another nice used bike
>>> with the invariably small frame, but decent parts.
>>> I don't see the virtual top tube sizes on the site, though. Ya think
>>> the 23" is something like 60cm?

>> if i remember, i'll measure for you when i get home from vacation. and
>> chalo, i'm very near the same height as you - that frame works great for
>> me. for $50, experimentation /is/ an option.- Hide quoted text -

> hey take your time dude

i will dude.

and here's something to think about in the mean time.

from slashdot:
http://www.cmu.edu/joss/content/articles/volume8/Welser/

datakoll wrote:
> http://www.somafab.com/groove.html
> ? ONE STEP UP?
> say-how long a top tube does a 6'4"-6" draw?
> for mtb
> and urban cyclocross?
> 21" isn't enough is it?

Largest SOMA Groove (21") has a 606 (about 23-7/8 inches) top tube. This
model doesn't go to small sizes either, if it's any consolation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Chalo wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> indestructible. urban. unbeatable economics.
>>
>> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&bran...

> I have been intrigued about those frames for a long time. I have held
> off getting one thus far because the tall sizes are very short in the
> top tube/front center. They might be OK for a drop bar or cowhorn bar
> setup, probably not for a 6.5-footer using flat bars.
>
> It's true that they are the best value I know of in a sturdy, non-
> cheesy 26" wheeled frame.
>
> Chalo

I built up one of these for my wife a couple of years ago. The only
negative on the frame is it's heavy, other than that, pretty nice. I,
too, didn't consider one for myself because of the top tube issue. When
I needed a new MTB frame a couple of years back I bought a closeout GT
bike and stripped it. I'm using it now with flat bars (maybe 1" of rise)
and the longest stem I could find, the seatpost is also the longest I
could find ~425mm & I'm at max extension & it flexes noticeably even at
my measly 225lb. My older (aluminum) MTB frame cracked at the seat tube
clamp slot keyhole, but only after 10 years of off-road, most of which
was pulling a ~100lb extra via a trailer bike. I drilled the cracks &
still use it for an errand bike.

I'm OK with low bars, actually prefer them for MTB, as even with the max
size off the shelf frames, with seat posts that long they tend to be
wheelie bikes.

http://home.comcast.net/~peter_cole/Blue_Hills/images/pa030007.jpg

On Jun 30, 8:16 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Fitz wrote:
> > Greetings,

> > I am OBSESSED with the Cannondale Bad Boy Disc (http://
> >www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/urban/badboy/model-7BRD.html) but I
> > was wondering if there are other manufacturers out there that produce
> > a similar bike that I might consider. It must be an XL fame as I am
> > 6'6" tall. Thanks!!

> Maybe the 61 cm Specialized Crosstrail Limited.

63cm is the standard long top tube limit but how does that 63cm
translate into MTB geometry for a 6'6" or me 4" rider? basis for the
question is where does one test ride a long tube mtb-or road bike?
does eg riverdwell,harris, yellow jersey stock long tubes on the floor?

On Jul 1, 6:38 pm, datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

> does eg riverdwell...

Grant Peterson is a frogman?

jim beam wrote:

> and chalo, i'm very near the same height as you

Just like you-know-who! It makes me laugh!

Could you two actually be one and the same (with a darkly perverse
sense of humor)?

> - that frame works great for
> me. for $50, experimentation /is/ an option.

You bet. I mean, such experimentation _can_ be free for the taking,
but the Nashbar frame means working with a frame presumed to be both
new and sound.

Chalo

On Jul 1, 9:10 pm, datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
> Who is grant peterson?

Grant Peterson is "King of the Hobbits":
<http://www.rivbike.com/>.